Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:40 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
When I lived here, I think I saw more sunny mornings than gloomy ones. But there were gloomy ones. Just not everyday.

When I lived here, the marine layer sticks around for much of the summer, but does burn off by Noon. I work in Fountain Valley also and some days, it wouldn't burn off until later afternoon. It burning off after 10am being rare, isn't true at all. I've worked in FV for a very long time......the marine layer can hang around all day. Does that mean it's everyday though? No. Not in the least. But it's more than "rare".

When I lived here, it was the worst. There were days when it wouldn't burn off at all. I don't know if the hills kept it in or what. However, on the upside, it was nice and cool all the time.

And no, I didn't live at the parks, obviously, I wanted to give you distances from the beach and my experience. I would probably look at Tustin to Yorba Linda to get away from the Marine Layer. You will get it in Tustin, but that shouldn't be all the time.

For anyone living in Mission Viejo/Lake Forest/Aliso Viejo, does it go that way? I wonder how much of the Newport hills keep the marine layer from progressing that way.
The marine layer is not a big deal here in Aliso Viejo and, as everyone has stated, it burns off in the morning.

I must admit, however, that I actually like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It creeps up the natural funnel to the ocean that I-5 from La Paz Rd to Capo Beach traverses.
It sounds like The Creature (Fog) from the Blue Lagoon.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:48 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
The fog creeps
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.

(apologies to Carl S.)

Old 02-16-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The fog creeps
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.

(apologies to Carl S.)
Very cool and apropos.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:07 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
The marine layer is not a big deal here in Aliso Viejo and, as everyone has stated, it burns off in the morning.

I liked it too...it was a nice reprieve from the heat.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:36 PM

157 posts, read 306,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
Getting shipped out to Irvine in the future with my company and heading out in a few weeks to check out the area. I am from the Northeast and while I love the beach, I think waking up to clouds a couple times a week will not be very pleasant.

How far away from the coast do I need to go to get away from the Marine Layer of fog?

Thanks
God how I'd love to trade with you.

Come to Yorba Linda. You will never see a cloud. Or double digit humidity.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Patrizio View Post
God how I'd love to trade with you.

Come to Yorba Linda. You will never see a cloud. Or double digit humidity.
Fellow fog fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I liked it too...it was a nice reprieve from the heat.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 PM

174 posts, read 311,958 times
You will have to go inland - like RSM. Besides whats the big deal? Burns off by the afternoon. It's actually kind of nice.

Example: My dad lives by the golf Course in Aliso - again it burns off usually by 11-noon.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:44 PM

81 posts, read 332,024 times
In Irvine, you'll wake up to the marine layer but it soon burns off , way before Laguna or Newport Beach. It's quite pleasant, since it gives you a little variety. Also, depends on the season:I guess winter being the sunniest in the mornings the tricky part for me is figuring out how to dress in the mornings, so always plan for layering.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:01 AM

371 posts, read 816,279 times
There are no areas in OC that completely avoid the marine layer during the late spring and summer months.

But, depending on where you are in OC, the marine layer may come slightly less frequent, and burn off earlier. But, for the most part, it will be around most days during the Spring/Summer months everywhere in OC, and will be around when you wake up in the morning -- even in most inland areas. It's just that it might burn off at 9am inland instead of 11am at the beach.

I would say your best bet for minimizing the marine layer, while still being in OC, is Yorba Linda or Anaheim Hills. But, not coincidentally, those are also two of hottest places in OC during the summer (average high temp in YL in August is 89 degrees). So, while the marine layer may burn off at 9am (or not come at all) in YL, it might be 89 degrees on a typical summer day, while it might top out at 75 degrees at the beach, but with the marine layer sticking around a few extra hours. Most people prefer the latter scenario.

Or, you strike a balance and live in Irvine, where the marine layer might stick around a little longer than YL, but it's low 80s instead of upper 80s in the summer.

If you want to completely forget the idea of the the marine layer, you are going to have to go into Riverside County, where it is even hotter and less desirable. Most people around here would think such a move would be insane, simply to avoid the marine layer.

I agree with you though, that the marine layer stinks. It is the one big complaint about the weather here. As someone who has spent my entire life living on the coast here in OC, I have come to be a little jealous at times of inland dwellers who get more reliable sunshine during the summer. But, in the end, I think the quality of life at 75 degrees is much better than it is at 89 degrees, so I've always stuck close to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County