Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 PM

11 posts, read 13,639 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from a 670 sq. ft. 1 bedroom in Costa Mesa to a 700 sq. ft. 1 bedroom in Anaheim. I thought I was getting a pretty good deal in rent for the size of the apartment, but I started reading around about Anaheim utilities, and rough estimates are about $100/mo for a 1 bedroom. By comparison, at my current place, I pay an average of $55 for electricity, gas, water, sewer and trash. I know Anaheim has a street sweeping fee, but, surely, that's got to be a fairly nominal? I checked Anaheim's electric rate schedule, and it's a little over $.11 per kilowatt, which is almost triple the rate on my most recent bill in Costa Mesa! That said, I'm currently billed through a third party provider called NWP, and I'm honestly not sure if that accounts for the low rates. So, any Anaheim residents out there: Have I been getting a really great deal, or is Anaheim truly that much more expensive than Costa Mesa?

Side Note: I've lived in Orange County since 2001, and I have never used an air conditioner or heater in my apartment, so I also can't tell if other people's use of A/C and heat is skewing the above estimate of $100/mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Anaheim actually has a fairly low rate when it comes to public utilities. 15% lower than the state average.
City of Anaheim

But I have to say if there is indeed a sizable difference in money spent, at least part of it should be due to air condition usage.

I used to go to the Anaheim/Placentia area to work with a business partner 7 years ago, and the one thing I noticed about Anaheim summers (compared to Coastal OC summers) was that the temperatures were absolutely uncomfortable for me. Low to mid-90s and no coastal breeze to help cool you off. I never use my car air condition down here in Coastal South County even during the Summer. In Anaheim, it was a necessity during the Summer, and it doesn't cool down until November.

Cranking up the air condition on average increases a homes energy usage by 20-30%.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 PM

11 posts, read 13,639 times
Thanks. I suppose it makes sense. The unit I'm moving to does have a unit A/C, which doesn't seem like it would be very effective given the floor plan, so I may just have to suck it up, or go sit in Starbucks or something. I grew up in a town that was triple digits every summer, so I think I can handle it.

That said, most apartments have one meter per building. My current bill doesn't show all the math, but surely they don't just divide evenly between units because some units have multiple residents, and, therefore, use more utilities. For instance, the clown apartment above my current place apparently houses an infinite number of people with some kind of disease that makes them cold all the time because they run the *heater* every night. I wonder if apartment dwellers in Anaheim pay more because, regardless of individual usage, most residents in the building are running the air in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County