Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:13 PM

389 posts, read 916,740 times

Advertisements

I am not familiar with Foothill Ranch, but Laguna Niguel is just one city inland from the coast (the next city inland from Dana Point). Several different routes to the coast from anywhere in Laguna Niguel so maybe a 10 minute drive depending on where in the city. Check out google maps and you will get an idea of the routes and the distance from the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 09:56 AM

14 posts, read 28,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv28 View Post
ry1n

Thanks, Laguna Niguel and Foothill Ranch were other places a friend had recommended we look into as well. What are the neighborhoods like in Foothill Ranch? How far are those towns from the coast?

Thanks!
The neigborhood is very nice and clean here. There are a lot of new shopping centers too. The schools are very good as well. The coast is maybe 20 mins from here, the closest would be laguna beach. The drive is not bad at all. It takes me 15 mind to get foothill ranch to the freeway.

Ranch Santa Margarita is also very very nice, but it will take you a little longer to get to a freeway, but using the toll road saves a ton of time.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 6,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv28 View Post
Hello!

We currently live in Chicago with our 2 children (4, 2) and my husband may take a new job in Costa Mesa. I was hoping to get some help as to which areas to look into. Currently, I've looked into Irvine, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo and Lake Forest (couldn't seem to find much info on LF). If those would be good towns to live in, are there any that would be better than the others in terms or schools etc? We would like to live in a safe, friendly nieghborhood with great public schools as my oldest will be entering kindergarten in the fall. We will probably want to rent first (3bd) and we do have a lab (which it seems like a lot of house rentals aren't dog friendly). And since we are used to city living, having a cute "downtown" or walkable area would be a plus.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Hi,

Were you able to find a place? Portola Springs in Irvine has amazing schools and its a new community with bike trails galore.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:12 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
If you want nice downtowns try:
Seal Beach
Fullerton
Old Town Orange
Ballboa Island (if you can afford it)

You may or may not like Downtown Huntington Beach. It gets very crowded during the summer, and nice weekends bring in a lot of idiots. But for the most part, once you get away from Main street, its a very nice place to live.

Fullerton is the furthest, and the commute may take a while. All have very good schools
I like Old Town Orange. Was just there very recently. That seems to be the best kept up early 20th century downtown I've seen in OC. A filming crew could easily do a period piece there, its like going back in time a little.

DT Huntington Beach is the best if you're young and are into nightlife.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:09 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I like Old Town Orange. Was just there very recently. That seems to be the best kept up early 20th century downtown I've seen in OC. A filming crew could easily do a period piece there, its like going back in time a little.
They did. That thing you do was filmed there.

I think there were a few other films.

Huntington Beach has "Surf Nazis Must Die" in their credits

Old 06-20-2014, 09:59 AM

117 posts, read 238,266 times
Foothill Ranch: Depending on where you are at Foothill Ranch, El Toro high school is rated worst in the area. Foothill Ranch is technically Lake Forest. Lake Forest is not as prestigious as Mission Viejo or Irvine. Foothill Ranch is also more inland therefore hotter. About 25 minutes from the beach.

Aliso Viejo: I lived here for three years. Nice city but very few good restaurants. City offers very few classes for kids compared to Mission Viejo or Irvine. Schools are pretty good here though. Even though this city is close to the ocean on map, the hills block the ocean breeze. It can get hot. Driving to the Laguna beach is less than 15 minutes in no traffic, in traffic (summer weekends) ...forget about it.

Irvine: Big Asian communities here. Good Asian restaurants. City services/classes are tops for kids. You kids will have to work their butts off to get good grades in schools in Irvine. Too many tiger moms here, schools are about 45% Asian.

Mission Viejo: Schools are pretty good. The city offers lots of classes for kids. You get membership to the Lake where you can fish and rent boats. The city library is one of the best in southern california. To me this is the best city in OC. The city is hilly unlike Irvine which is flat as a pancake. Most areas have mature trees.

Laguna Niguel: even though it's close to the ocean on map, because of all the hills, northern end of laguna niguel can get hot. Basically areas south of Marina Hills Drive get ocean breeze and this is reflected in the home prices.

Note: some people mention toll roads, it's very expensive, depending on where you are it can run you $5-7 one way just to connect you to the 5 or 405. Rancho Santa Margurita is 15-20min on surface streets from the 5.

Last edited by jamsifoes; 06-20-2014 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-20-2014, 03:27 PM

25 posts, read 46,115 times
This is JMO but Laguna Niguel would be great for you. It's right next to Aliso but I think a bit easier freeway access. I'm sure other people will chime in about this but it's more desirable (for the most part) west of the 5 (& 405 if you're looking north) fwy. My husband has had jobs on and off in the Irvine/Costa Mesa Area and having the toll road right there is REALLY nice. If you live south like Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, etc, you do not want to have that drive without the toll road in the morning. Yeah, you pay for it...something like $6 each way, but work that cost into his job offer or have them pay for a toll road pass. Schools are decent in LN, with a few great charter schools nearby, too. The beach is 10 min away and easy access to the 5 fwy. It will be cheaper than north more coastal towns (eastside Costa Mesa, for example) and while restaurants aren't like Chicago, there are plenty nearby -- especially at the beach. Lots of grocery options as well including a Whole Foods.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:28 PM

25 posts, read 46,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesnkids View Post
This is JMO but Laguna Niguel would be great for you. It's right next to Aliso but I think a bit easier freeway access. I'm sure other people will chime in about this but it's more desirable (for the most part) west of the 5 (& 405 if you're looking north) fwy. My husband has had jobs on and off in the Irvine/Costa Mesa Area and having the toll road right there is REALLY nice. If you live south like Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, etc, you do not want to have that drive without the toll road in the morning. Yeah, you pay for it...something like $6 each way, but work that cost into his job offer or have them pay for a toll road pass. Schools are decent in LN, with a few great charter schools nearby, too. The beach is 10 min away and easy access to the 5 fwy. It will be cheaper than north more coastal towns (eastside Costa Mesa, for example) and while restaurants aren't like Chicago, there are plenty nearby -- especially at the beach. Lots of grocery options as well including a Whole Foods.
To add to this, if you think Laguna Niguel doesn't get ocean breeze, Mission Viejo, Lake Forest & Irvine get zero. Also, there's not walkable downtown area. There are few in OC. Orange has one but schools aren't good, Santa Ana but schools are also bad, San Juan Capistrano has one but same problem depending on where you're zoned. The beach cities have them -- Huntington, Newport, Corona Del Mar, Laguna, Dana Point & San Clemente - but all are pricey! One thing to remember is Capistrano Unified School District has an open school policy and you can apply to go to any school in capo even if it's outside your zoned school. Tip: since your kid is entering K, I would look into charter school options right now so you can get your oldest in and then the sibling.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:47 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Geez, this is the silly season. It's just false that Aliso Viejo does not get ocean breezes.

What's more, AV's average temps closely parallel those of neighboring Laguna Beach. So, it gets hot here, but it also gets hot in Laguna Beach. Gawd knows it gets hot in Mission Viejo, and the little man made lake does not provide breezes.

Average Weather for Aliso Viejo, CA - Temperature and Precipitation
Average Weather for Laguna Beach, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Climatology Comparison for Laguna Beach, CA - weather.com Beach, CA&sfld2=Aliso Viejo, CA&clocid1=USCA0573&clocid2=
The overall average high temperatures for Laguna Beach, CA and Aliso Viejo, CA are the same.
The overall average low temperatures for Laguna Beach, CA and Aliso Viejo, CA are the same.

Today's wind speeds:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ejo+wind+speed
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ach+wind+speed

Downright ridiculous is the idea that there are few services/activities for children in Aliso Viejo. This place is kid central. What's more, given the city's very small size of about 7.5 sq miles, it's relatively easy fro a parent to drop one child of at an activity and then take another one someplace else withinn the city.

A sample (most are not exclusively for children)

23 parks (some include tot lots)
Boys & Girls Club
Aliso Viejo Aquatic Center
Seasonal and holiday themed activities at Grand Park, including a snow fest, egg hunts, etc.
Ice Palace
Azerian National Gymnastics Center
Private acting and dance studios
Renaissance ClubSport

Regarding freeway access, the 73 Toll cuts through AV and the 5 & 405 are a short drive away. It's nice to not breathe in fumes from the 5 & 405.

Finally, would a gourmand lose his mind over the restaurant selections in tiny AV? No, but I doubt he would run over to Mission Viejo.

Last edited by pacific2; 06-20-2014 at 05:28 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 11:02 PM

60 posts, read 94,620 times
Costa Mesa has some nice areas, but you have to be careful. You might consider renting a house in a nice location and paying a pet deposit, etc. so that you could get a feel for the area. Read reviews of the complexes on Yelp and see what other people living in them think about them. You might not want to deal with the neighbors and the paper thin walls. Costa has one of the largest shopping malls in the world: South Coast Plaza, as well as many other shopping areas around. Check your offender list before you rent or buy anywhere. With regard to other suggestions, Foothill Ranch is nowhere near Costa Mesa and a nasty commute, as is Laguna Niguel. With regard to Irvine, most of the complexes are owned by the Irvine company and while beautiful on the exterior, they are very difficult to live in unless you're not home at night, don't actually need sleep, or like to party: thin walls, lots of noise, etc. One of the nicest neighborhoods in Irvine is Woodbridge, and there are apartment complexes there, but there is also a toxic plume from El Toro Airbase underneath the ground of this area: http://salem-news.com/articles/february102009/el_toro_update_2-8-09.php[/url]
You also want to read the water quality report of any city you live in here, and expect to invest in bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County