U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 04:55 AM

5 posts, read 13,906 times

Advertisements

Considering a job in Aliso Viejo. Was suggested we look in Laguna Beach, which is fabulous. Have also looked in Laguna Nigel which seems a little less expensive, and then San Juan Capistrano. I'd love feedback about those cities.

On another note, it is usual where I am now to make offers of about 5% off asking. Much less is an insult to the buyer and it's generally not done. Watching the TV show Million Dollar Listing Ca, I see offers that are waaaaayyyyy lower than that. What is usual.

thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 06:59 AM

2,815 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Those are all nice areas. Make an offer you're comfortable with, what's the worst that can happen?

They'll say "no".

Old 04-27-2014, 06:54 PM

3,211 posts, read 7,449,326 times
I live in AV now...been here for a solid month so I REALLY know the area!

I've driven to SJC a few times, depending how far down from the 5 or if you wanna pay the toll for the 73...its a real annoying drive. Alot of lights, good 30 minute drive in rush hour. SJC has a real cool vibe. Niguel is nice especially being close to the beach but kinda boring. But I'd rather live there than Laguna Beach, it gets crazy congested there on the weekends.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:01 PM

1,545 posts, read 3,077,828 times
Squares will be more comfortable in Niguel. Laguna Beach has a lot of homeless and other non conformists that frighten some. SJC is classic California with the mission and ranch style houses.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM

9,809 posts, read 10,037,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Squares will be more comfortable in Niguel. Laguna Beach has a lot of homeless and other non conformists that frighten some. SJC is classic California with the mission and ranch style houses.

Oh brother. It is really way past time to grow up Matzo. Square, really?

From "square" (this sounds like someone who is trapped in another era) Laguna Niguel, I visit neighboring Laguna Beach very frequently.

When a decision is made on where to live, one must consider a number of things, price being just one consideration. How about considering buyers' needs in terms of space; where the persons in the household commute, etc.? When considering these things, since many of us have to work, Laguna Beach is problematic.

Non conformists hardly scare me as I am and have always been one. Oh and one more thing, Laguna Niguel is very fiscally conservative thus protecting residents of this town from financial problems. As a homeowner, I much prefer the way it is run over Laguna Beach. One finds many signs of protest in Laguna Beach over many city issues.

As for homeless people, give it a rest.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 04-29-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 02:53 PM

389 posts, read 862,793 times
Another AV resident here. Why not consider AV? Aliso Viejo and Laguna Niguel are very similar as younger communities (in regards to when they were developed. If the potential job will be in AV, and depending on your budget, I would suggest adding in Dana Point. Personally, there is no way I would live in Laguna Beach with all of the tourist traffic, limited parking, and just general chaos. Do we drive to Laguna Beach for day trips and for the beach? Yes! Just wouldn't want to live there. Your drive to and from SJC will all depend on how far from the highway the home is located or if it is close to any major surface street (as an alternate to the freeway when traveling to AV for the job). You can't go wrong with any of these cities!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:37 PM

9,809 posts, read 10,037,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flb1011 View Post
Considering a job in Aliso Viejo. Was suggested we look in Laguna Beach, which is fabulous. Have also looked in Laguna Nigel which seems a little less expensive, and then San Juan Capistrano. I'd love feedback about those cities.

On another note, it is usual where I am now to make offers of about 5% off asking. Much less is an insult to the buyer and it's generally not done. Watching the TV show Million Dollar Listing Ca, I see offers that are waaaaayyyyy lower than that. What is usual.

thanks!
I wouldn't pay attention to shows like that. If you offer 700k on a 835k offer price, you really could offend the seller. The seller may refuse to deal with you.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 PM

563 posts, read 714,549 times
I enjoy that show, too, but I'd take what they're doing with a proverbial grain of salt. They're dealing in multi-million dollar properties that may be overpriced, and apparently do repeat business with many clients who may not mind taking less than asking on a particular property.

The market has slowed since last year, but we put an offer $15k over asking on a house in North SD County last spring and lost! They got $30k over.

Look at the comps in your desired area on a site such as Redfin. Get prequalified and decide what's comfortable for you so you don't go over your head in mortgage payments. If you can, find out why the person is selling. If the seller is desperate, perhaps s/he will take less, but it also depends upon how much interest the property is generating. I'd find a competent real estate professional to guide you. Personally, if I were desperate to sell, I might consider an offer 5% under asking. People get divorced, people die, people get houses willed to them and need the cash-- there are a myriad of reasons sellers may accept low-ball offers. If they're at all interested, they'll come back with a counter.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:12 AM

795 posts, read 1,498,662 times
San Juan and Niguel are nice. Laguna is nice too but traffic is a mess especially in the summer.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:48 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,683,423 times
San Juan is a bit isolated but probably a bit more relaxed..i lived there for a long while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County