Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:51 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,823,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We just came home to AZ after a trip to the San Diego zoo...and I am so homesick. I always loved San Diego and Newport Beach a close second. You can't beat the climate and culture of our west coast..just can't. That said, I asked my son in law if he and my daughter would be interested in transferring jobs to S.D or Orange county and he replied "why would I want to reduce my standard of living?"....well he is right. We were priced out of those cities years ago and live quite comfortably in AZ and can in just 5 hours be back in CA enjoying the restaurants and other things. We would be living hand to mouth, unable to enjoy fine dining or anything else for that matter. Just not an area for old farts. If you live there and are doing well, enjoy it and feel blessed to have it.
There are places in San Bernadino and Riverside County that are fairly close in price to places like Scottsdale, and Phoenix, if you ever get the Cali blues and think about moving back. Much closer to the beaches than 5 hours (of course depending on traffic).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 02:56 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,391 times
It was in January of this year that I decided to move from north-central New Mexico to the San Diego area. I was shoveling show off my driveway and saying to myself, "I could be barbecuing in the back yard if I were in California". In three days, the moving van will arrive at my NM house and take my belongings to Chula Vista.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:05 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We just came home to AZ after a trip to the San Diego zoo...and I am so homesick. I always loved San Diego and Newport Beach a close second. You can't beat the climate and culture of our west coast..just can't. That said, I asked my son in law if he and my daughter would be interested in transferring jobs to S.D or Orange county and he replied "why would I want to reduce my standard of living?"....well he is right. We were priced out of those cities years ago and live quite comfortably in AZ and can in just 5 hours be back in CA enjoying the restaurants and other things. We would be living hand to mouth, unable to enjoy fine dining or anything else for that matter. Just not an area for old farts. If you live there and are doing well, enjoy it and feel blessed to have it.
Well I love both areas too, so I understand.

There is a lot of truth in what you say. For most of us, in order to live here, we have to make some sacrifices. I certainly did. Fine dining is rare, no new fancy cars, etc. I am very careful with my money, but not so much so that I cannot enjoy life. I still get all over the place in Southern California and have fun, and manage a nice vacation. I just watch what I spend my money on.

With respect to the sacrifices made in order to live here, I think it is worth it, but can easily see how others would decide otherwise.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
nobody doubts SoCal as being one of the best places to live in the United States, that is not what is being argued and there has always been an expectation of paying a premium to live here. But at some point the premium becomes too much and one has to evaluate whether accepting the compromise in weather and geographic beauty is worth the other benefits one gets by moving (lower COL, bigger home, better schools etc.)

No argument here, I already reached that point 3 years ago. The COL absolutely has to be evaluated, but I am just saying I believe the prices in SoCal are absolutely correct and well worth it... even if I cannot justify it right now.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
It was in January of this year that I decided to move from north-central New Mexico to the San Diego area. I was shoveling show off my driveway and saying to myself, "I could be barbecuing in the back yard if I were in California". In three days, the moving van will arrive at my NM house and take my belongings to Chula Vista.
Hey NM! I thought we settled this on the San Diego forum. Good to know you are coming back so soon.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Would you consider that now? After all, OC is changing, it is more accepting, and it is a darn nice place to live.
I personally would, but we're quite settled now in Denver, love our neighbors and neighborhood, and our kids are doing great in a Mandarin school. If the planets align, we'll move back some day. Between Denver and SoCal, the real estate markets sometimes make it a good deal to move one way or the other. I just feel more "at home" in California, so my desire is to move back at some point. Jobs are also an issue. It seems like jobs are much harder to find in OC (or SD/LA) than here in Denver. And LA/SD are high considerations for moving back to California. I've always wanted to live in SD, and we have friends there.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,236 times
It's not worth it for us, which is why we left. We now make more money, pay much lower taxes, and live in an area with much lower housing costs. We are enjoying the fact that we no longer live in a place where it's regularly 90 or above in the winter, too.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It's not worth it for us, which is why we left. We now make more money, pay much lower taxes, and live in an area with much lower housing costs. We are enjoying the fact that we no longer live in a place where it's regularly 90 or above in the winter, too.
I said the same thing 3 years ago when we first moved to Denver . Now I (as do many others) realize that SoCal weather and culture is worth quite a bit. Come back to this thread in 3, tell us what you really think.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:36 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,823,696 times
Mach50, I'm assuming you made the move with family, do they feel the same way about moving back or are they liking Denver more than you?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Mach50, I'm assuming you made the move with family, do they feel the same way about moving back or are they liking Denver more than you?
It's really only the winter weather that I don't care for in Denver, even though it's not consistently cold or snowy. Summer is very similar to central Orange County (warm afternoons, cool nights, reasonable humidity) and it's very pleasant to be outdoors. If I were somewhere like Dallas, I'd hate it!

Culture in Denver seems the same as OC to me. I don't regret moving here, and we have a nice house, great neighborhood and good schools. But I would move back to CA if given the opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County