Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What county feels MOST DANGEROUS from crime?
Orange County 2 5.56%
Los Angeles County 13 36.11%
San Diego County 0 0%
Riverside County 2 5.56%
San Bernardino County 19 52.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 11:51 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Quick comment on Latin America being "Western". It is true that in most of Latin America the people are Western (Catholic Southern European), but this statement overlooks the reality that some countries have large populations that are still strongly indigenous. Those populations have adopted varying degrees of Western values. Some countries such as Uruguay and Argentina have few native persons whereas others have a very large indigenous populace (Peru, Bolivia, etc.) Then we need to discuss who the immigrants are who are coming to the United States...
My apologies, you are right. The countries themselves are quite diverse and different enough in culture for them to be thrown in together like that. In Paraguay, Guarani (a Native language) is an official language and is more widely understood than Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 01:35 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Anaheim was a farm town before Disneyland, not exactly 'vibrant'. I think what you meant to say is that they were majority white cities, just like a good chunk of your loving south O.C. is now (even then, none of those cities, save Laguna Beach are 'vibrant', they are sleepy bedroom communities with picturesque hillsides.) Otherwise, Santa Ana, Anaheim - along with downtown Fullerton, Huntington Beach and the South Coast area- are (continue to be) the most 'vibrant' in O.C.. Downtown Santa Ana is experiencing a renaissance, and it is a prefer hang out spot for people in there 20's like myself. Its art walk continues to expand and get better. If you choose not to venture to it because of your preconceived notions that it is all a dump of illegals, your lost, not ours. People of all races and creeds will continue to its restaurants, galleries and happening bars. It's best narrow minded people stay at home, anyways.
I am not talking about before Disneyland, I said 25 year ago. Disneyland is 59 years old. Im not talking about the 1930s, I am talking about when my mom was a teenager back in the late 60s and into the 70s. Anaheim was a great city back then, Santa Ana was very nice too. We lived in Westminster off Trask and Beach behind the Highway 39 drive in when I was a kid, that was also a fairly nice area in the 70s and 80s. Like I said, anyone who has lived in the area for at least 25 years will tell you that Anaheim and Santa Ana have become dumps over the past 10-12 years as the illegals have taken over and trashed the neighborhoods and their gangbanger kids have made violent crime numbers skyrocket in what were once safe areas. Maybe it makes them feel like home in old Mexico. Either way, they have ruined what used to be two great cities.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
My apologies, you are right. The countries themselves are quite diverse and different enough in culture for them to be thrown in together like that. In Paraguay, Guarani (a Native language) is an official language and is more widely understood than Spanish.
No need for an apology. I am no fan of Evo Morales, but I want to use him as an example. It is well known he is anti-Western. However, he has an excellent point about Bolivians having consumed coca for thousands of years. Who is the United States to tell Bolivia that coca cannot be cultivated in his country just because the drug gets abused thousands of miles away? Powerful thing that argument. He is right.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:38 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
I am not talking about before Disneyland, I said 25 year ago. Disneyland is 59 years old. Im not talking about the 1930s, I am talking about when my mom was a teenager back in the late 60s and into the 70s. Anaheim was a great city back then, Santa Ana was very nice too. We lived in Westminster off Trask and Beach behind the Highway 39 drive in when I was a kid, that was also a fairly nice area in the 70s and 80s. Like I said, anyone who has lived in the area for at least 25 years will tell you that Anaheim and Santa Ana have become dumps over the past 10-12 years as the illegals have taken over and trashed the neighborhoods and their gangbanger kids have made violent crime numbers skyrocket in what were once safe areas. Maybe it makes them feel like home in old Mexico. Either way, they have ruined what used to be two great cities.
Think what you want, about the old days, a lot of us appreciate those places for what they have to offer NOW/TODAY. Cool hookah lounges of Brookhurst, the best Vietnamese food in the nation in Westminster, boba tea lounges that are open late, bomb Mexican and Salvadorean food in Santa Ana. The Day of the Dead festival in DTSA keeps getting bigger and better, attracting all kinds of people. None of those things would be there without all those immigrants, whether legal or illegal. It is the North OC I know and love. It isn't for everyone, and thankfully southern California has a neighborhood/niche for everyone if you look for it.

To say that it is 'dump' is your opinion, not a fact, just an opinion.

Now, if you want to speak about safety (which is what this thread is about) and not just spewing normative statements - again, you have no evidence that illegals bring anymore or any less crime to an area. It's all hypothetical on your end. Crime rates continue to go down in those cities, despite all their illegals. Crime rates continue to go down in L.A., despite all its illegals.

Also, the immigrant hubs of this country have always been and continue to be the most 'vibrant' places to live - Miami, NYC, Chicago, LA and now North/Central O.C. No, they aren't perfect and have plenty of issues to deal with, including crime, but there's a reason tourists gravitate to those places (they are actually interesting.)

Old 05-23-2014, 08:55 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Quote:
Now, if you want to speak about safety (which is what this thread is about) and not just spewing normative statements - again, you have no evidence that illegals bring anymore or any less crime to an area. It's all hypothetical on your end. Crime rates continue to go down in those cities, despite all their illegals. Crime rates continue to go down in L.A., despite all its illegals.
Sorry but thats not true. Anaheim had been doing a bit better until 2011 and 2012 when violent crime rates spiked up again by 10% and oh yea, Mexican gangbangers and their families having it out with police in riot gear in the streets for 2 days. Yea, real safe Santa Ana has had 5 gang related shootings this month alone ending in 3 people dead. Again, real safe You can expect those violent crime numbers to be way up this year. When is the last time you've heard of any gang related murders in mostly Caucasian areas like Laguna and Dana Point? Like never. Wow, what a coincidence! Take your head out of the sand and watch the news sometime....

Old 05-23-2014, 08:59 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueringfools View Post
Santa Ana is a dump. It's a dump because of poor third world immigrants that have and are moving in and taking over. That is reality. That is what's happening all over America. Santa Ana poor third world immigrants just happen to be coming from Mexico mostly. There are places all over FL where poor uneducated third world immigrants are Haitian or Jamaican. Pick your third world dump. Muslims are taking over places in Michigan trying to bring Sharia law to America. You may want to bury your head in disbelief and ignorance and this faux melting pot theory of cant we all just get along in America but it's a pipe dream. America is a western civilized society. Places like Haiti, Mexico, and the Middle East are fundamentally anti-thetical to western ideology, rule of law, economics etc. As a middle class white boy born and bred in America I'm sick of seeing all the poor, uneducated Mexicans (hispanics whatever) flocking to the USA most of them illegally. My father was an immigrant from Europe and here LEGALLY, raised three kids without sucking a dime off the government. But you know what stood out most among my father........he embraced AMERICAN ideology and values........He flew the AMERICAN flag higher on the 4th of July than he ever would have the french flag on Bastille Day!!!! Mexican culture is anti-thetical to western civilization and America society. We believe in the right to bear arms, private property, capitalism, individual liberty, free markets etc.

The difference between poor white trash and poor Mexican trash is the former were born HERE! They have a god given right to be here.
You are so ridiculous with your diatribe, especially the part about 'Western ideals' and clumping Mexicans with Muslims.

Mexico is a country founded on Western ideals of nationalism and citizenship. It is a Catholic country with a foundation based on European immigrants and local Native American cultures. Not just Spaniards settled there. It is a mixture of Native American and European culture. That is why Mexicans speak a EUROPEAN language. So how are they not 'Western?' Because they are brown skinned? Also, violence exists everywhere and with all groups of people. That is why there where 2 large World Wars.

I have lived in Mexico and Europe. As much as you want to make Mexicans seem so different, they are not. Life in Mexico is VERY similar to life in Europe. Also, alot of American culture is influenced by Mexico. We are not just 'recent illegal immigrants.' American cowboy culture was highly influenced by vaquero culture in Mexico.

CA has been in a constant flux of growth. People are continuously moving to newer communities. That leaves older communties without income, investment, and flight of businesses. It becomes an area that poorer people settle in. In the case of Mexico, many many poorer Mexicans where RECRUITED by US businesses for more than 80 years. That is why many have settled here since the early 1900s.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
You are so ridiculous with your diatribe, especially the part about 'Western ideals' and clumping Mexicans with Muslims.

Mexico is a country founded on Western ideals of nationalism and citizenship. It is a Catholic country with a foundation based on European immigrants and local Native American cultures. Not just Spaniards settled there. It is a mixture of Native American and European culture. That is why Mexicans speak a EUROPEAN language. So how are they not 'Western?' Because they are brown skinned? Also, violence exists everywhere and with all groups of people. That is why there where 2 large World Wars.

I have lived in Mexico and Europe. As much as you want to make Mexicans seem so different, they are not. Life in Mexico is VERY similar to life in Europe. Also, alot of American culture is influenced by Mexico. We are not just 'recent illegal immigrants.' American cowboy culture was highly influenced by vaquero culture in Mexico.

CA has been in a constant flux of growth. People are continuously moving to newer communities. That leaves older communties without income, investment, and flight of businesses. It becomes an area that poorer people settle in. In the case of Mexico, many many poorer Mexicans where RECRUITED by US businesses for more than 80 years. That is why many have settled here since the early 1900s.

I agree with everything you said. We can safely say Mexico is quite European, especially Mexico City (DF)! Chiapas, not really, but that is a pretty insignificant part of Mexico.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:15 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I agree with everything you said. We can safely say Mexico is quite European, especially Mexico City (DF)! Chiapas, not really, but that is a pretty insignificant part of Mexico.
Yes it is. I know Mexico like the back of my hand, lived in Spain, and spent much time in England and France. I have lived in Northern and Southern Mexico by choice. Life is very, very similar to Spain.

Do not underestimate Chiapas though! I went to San Cristobal de Las Casas and it is a beautiful town in the mountains. It is multicultural- many Americans and Europeans have settled there. They are people who are very interested in indigenous rights. It is an interesting mix of Mayan culture with intellectual expats. There are lots of cafes, art, music- it is a very cool and beautiful place. There are also the amazing ruins in Palenque and rainforest nearby.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:41 PM

I worked in Central America and am familiar with Mayan culture.

In Guatemala, I visited Tikal; I've seen Tulum. I have also been to Chichen Itza and spent a lot more there than I did in Tikal and was disappointed that they wouldn't even let me climb the pyramids. In Tikal, there are several that you can scale or at least they allowed it a few years ago.

P.S. I am familiar with Spain too, love it.

Well, I will take your word for it re Chiapas. I prefer not to risk going there.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Santa Ana is pretty unsafe but mainly due to the illegals who don't give a s**t on the roads rather than the crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County