Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:48 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
So I relocated to OC two months ago. I lived in the San Gabriel Valley, Inland Empire, and High Desert for the last 15 days. I grew up in Orlando for 7 years. I've traveled to 23 countries. I mention all this just to illustrate my viewpoint...I've been around and seen alot for a 29 year old.

When I talk to people here and tell them I went to high school in West Covina, most people have no idea where that is. The city has over 100k in population. When I said I use to own a home in Fontana, they ask if that's near Palm Springs...solid 80 mile difference. These two cities are only 50 miles away. Sure, there's no reason to go to these cities if you live in OC but you've never seen a map? You've never seen the weather map on the morning news? Googlemap some directions...ever?

When I talk to people about how I can travel so much, they ask me how I was able to afford it. I go out with them to a restaurant and they order 2-4 beers plus food, $50 easy. Then they take an Uber or Lyft to a bar afterwards both ways, another $40 bucks. Plus the money spent at the bar, at least another $50.

I've been going out with my roommate and his friends, all over 35 and they all throw cash out the window. They all drive pretty decent vehicles and they ask me what its like living in the Inland Empire...like its a different state. Its a 45 minute drive...

I don't get this issue with N. OC. I've spent alot of time in Brea and Fullerton but the further south I go, the bigger the bubble feels.
I grew up in the "OC of Michigan" (Oakland County) which has a average income comparable to areas like Fullerton or Brea but much cheaper cost of living. I went to high school in one of the wealthiest cities in the US and yet I don't think I've ever experienced anything close to the "bubble" you've described above. Maybe because I attended a public school..

Old 05-30-2014, 08:13 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Not sure why everyone is focusing on the Inland Empire. I've lived in other places but hey, its easier to insult a different location instead of defending yours.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:48 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
I lived in the San Gabriel Valley, Inland Empire, and High Desert for the last 15 days.
That averages to about 5 days in each area - did you enjoy the vacation?

Old 06-01-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That averages to about 5 days in each area - did you enjoy the vacation?
I already stated that was a typo. I personally read entire threads before making a smarky post. But hey, thats just me.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:47 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
I already stated that was a typo. I personally read entire threads before making a smarky post. But hey, thats just me.

Sorry.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:02 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Just cause there are more white people doesn't excuse racism. That's just straight up stupid. When I lived in Orlando, I lived in a small city about 10k in population. I didn't have to deal with racism like people do here.
Right, because we all know that FL doesn't have any racial problems at all......

Quote:
That's not true. You seriously think people don't go anywhere on the weekend or holiday?

Wonder why you chose Fontana and you had to use Fontucky instead of Fontana.
If you've lived in CA as long as you claim you'd know that Fontucky is how a lot of Fontanans refer to their city and do so with their tongues planted firmly in their cheeks.

People do vacation, but they vacation far from their homes usually. Statistically speaking most people don't stray far from their homes in cities in CA because they don't have to. They have all the shopping, entertainment and recreation they need in close proximity to their homes.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Right, because we all know that FL doesn't have any racial problems at all......

If you've lived in CA as long as you claim you'd know that Fontucky is how a lot of Fontanans refer to their city and do so with their tongues planted firmly in their cheeks.

People do vacation, but they vacation far from their homes usually. Statistically speaking most people don't stray far from their homes in cities in CA because they don't have to. They have all the shopping, entertainment and recreation they need in close proximity to their homes.
No, they don't. Most people in Fontana hate that term especially those in N. Fontana where they try to be like Rancho Cucamonga. I lived in Fontana for 4 years. There's a small chuck of the city that is referred to as Fontucky. Fontana is a very large city size wise. Well above the 210/15 junction and nearly down to the 15/60 junction. The 15/60 area, the further south part is "Fontucky". However, the majority of its citizens live north of the 10 freeway.

FL definitely has racial problems. I lived in the city next to Sanford, FL where the Treyvon Martin deal happen. Even as a little kid, I could feel the tension.

However, there wasn't any superiority tension I feel in S. OC. I kinda thought people would be more open minded down here but thats what I get for having high expectations.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
However, there wasn't any superiority tension I feel in S. OC. I kinda thought people would be more open minded down here but thats what I get for having high expectations.
No one is forcing you to go there, don't go then. I don't go into areas I don't like. Simple.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:05 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
No, they don't. Most people in Fontana hate that term especially those in N. Fontana where they try to be like Rancho Cucamonga. I lived in Fontana for 4 years. There's a small chuck of the city that is referred to as Fontucky. Fontana is a very large city size wise. Well above the 210/15 junction and nearly down to the 15/60 junction. The 15/60 area, the further south part is "Fontucky". However, the majority of its citizens live north of the 10 freeway.

FL definitely has racial problems. I lived in the city next to Sanford, FL where the Treyvon Martin deal happen. Even as a little kid, I could feel the tension.

You just have to be right, don't you? Well, you aren't, but no matter how many people who have much more experience than you tell you that you're wrong, you won't ever admit it.

Once again, almost all of the superiority complex is due to money, not race. They don't care if you're a rich Asian, rich black, rich Hispanic, or a rich white. There's a reason I would prefer to settle in North County over South County, but it has nothing to do with South County folks being in a bubble.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:29 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Regarding the so-called superiority tension in S.OC, OP clearly has not spent much time in NYC, Boston, DC or San Francisco, nevermind some capitals of Europe or Monaco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County