Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

We did the opposite move many years ago and yes, the push to get ahead in the DC area can be a bit over the top. I would suggest, like you said, make a couple of visits to the area, price both apt and town houses, get a feel for the area, as much as you can in a short time. Then judge, but I bet you will like living in So. CA. at least for awhile. As for a 2 bedroom/1 bath, I am here to tell you, that will get pretty crowded and tiresome in a very short time, after being a home owner. Right now your little boy is just a tiny baby, give him even another year and he will be everywhere. good luck, new experiences are wonderful for the young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktix1 View Post
Were all of City Walk residences live/work arrangements or were their standalone... Also, are there specific neighborhoods in AV that you like better than others?
All of the residences at City Walk are attached three story live/work arrangements up to 2636 sq ft. There are tax benefits if you actually use the first floor for a business. That may mean, for example, that maybe your wife could work "at home" on the first floor (exclusively dedicated to business with a public entrance, and complete with a small bathroom), while the family lives on the two uppermost stories (talk to your accountant)

There are also new hilltop townhouses in that same area, like Latitudes and Elements. They are not work/live.

AV is very small (about 7.5 sq mi), and I can't really say that I like any one particular neighborhood more than others. I do like homes with canyon views, but those will cost you, even though they are still IMHO, much undervalued. I like hillside homes, etc.

There are a few places I would personally not be attracted to were I in the market for a condo. For example, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but the condos with a Pacific Park Drive address look nice enough inside, and are situated in a pleasant woodsy setting, but they are conversions. That would give me pause since I would wonder about the quality of the insulation (sound buffering) between the units.

I would have similar concerns about the condos on Oakgrove, near Soka University. It's very pretty and quiet over there, but those are also conversions.

Again, if I were looking for a condo, I would avoid those near Laguna Hills and Laguna Woods located on streets like Via Jacinto, El Reposa, Via Iglesia, Via San Gabriel, etc. These are one story, but much older units (some date back to 1970) far removed from the heart of AV, and seem like they have more in common with Laguna Hills.

Some people like the condos near Costco on the other side of Alicia Parkway/ Pacific Park Drive and the 73 Toll. They are attractive, but also older, small and very much removed from the center of AV. Street names like Bentwood, Abbeywood Lane, Hollyhock Lane, etc, come to mind. Being on the periphery means that one is more likely to have to deal with traffic hassles.

There are cute detached condos in AV that look like houses. Some are Cape Cod style homes located in the Twelve Picket Community.

Last edited by pacific2; 06-01-2014 at 11:52 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 10:43 AM

Know too that condos/townhouses outnumber SFR's in AV; and living in one does not mean that one is necessarily confined to cramped quarters.

For example, these condos/townhouse are relatively spacious, but a tad above your budget:

$649, 950/ 2150 sq. ft//4bd/3bth:
33 Hawksmoor, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# TR14043941 | Redfin

$669,900/ 1952 sq.ft./4bd/2.5 bth:
43 Edmonton Pl, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# IV14106153 | Redfin

$624,900/1917 sq.ft./ 3bd/2.5 bthHilltop near City Walk)
10 Brownstone Way, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# OC14080704 | Redfin

$625,000/1660 sq. ft./3bd/2.5 bth:
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo...6/home/5733552
================================================== ============
These townhouses are below $600K:

$599,900/1873 sq.ft./3bd/2.5 bth (Hilltop near City Walk)
13 District Dr, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# OC14109105 | Redfin

$535,500/ 1860 sq. ft/ 3bd/2.5bth ("Resort" look with plenty of trees)
22 Conch Reef, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# OC14106290 | Redfin

Last edited by pacific2; 06-01-2014 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 10:54 AM

Here is something else to think about before turning down an AV townhouse: Most have plenty of windows (far more than can be found in the typical and older SFR in this general region) and cathedral ceilings. This helps give an airy and spacious feeling to the place.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:03 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
I am somewhat familiar with Ashburn and can imagine in my head the environment OP is used to: green, big houses, long roads - all popping into my head. OP might also consider Rancho Santa Margarita. Although significantly remote than what Pacific is discussing in AV, RSM has beautiful mountains nearby and is another option for you to consider. But even there you will not see giant houses on huge lots (and certainly not colonial ones lol) except in RSM's neighbor Coto de Caza.

I believe there might be many small SFRs in your price range in RSM but the trade off is being a bit cut off and certainly not too close to the ocean. There is also Lake Forest, which also has good schools and is more convenient to most places, but that area has mostly older homes - something to consider.

A lot depends on where you work. Where are the work locations?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:59 PM

42 posts, read 113,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Know too that condos/townhouses outnumber SFR's in AV; and living in one does not mean that one is necessarily confined to cramped quarters.

For example, these condos/townhouse are relatively spacious, but a tad above your budget:

$649, 950/ 2150 sq. ft//4bd/3bth:
33 Hawksmoor, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# TR14043941 | Redfin

$669,900/ 1952 sq.ft./4bd/2.5 bth:
43 Edmonton Pl, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# IV14106153 | Redfin

$624,900/1917 sq.ft./ 3bd/2.5 bthHilltop near City Walk)
10 Brownstone Way, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# OC14080704 | Redfin

$625,000/1660 sq. ft./3bd/2.5 bth:
19 Ocean Mist, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# OC14094694 | Redfin
================================================== ============
These townhouses are below $600K:

$599,900/1873 sq.ft./3bd/2.5 bth (Hilltop near City Walk)
13 District Dr, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# OC14109105 | Redfin

$535,500/ 1860 sq. ft/ 3bd/2.5bth ("Resort" look with plenty of trees)
22 Conch Reef, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# OC14106290 | Redfin
Great list! I saw a lot of those pop up in my prelim search for a house. I'm starting to think a SFH OR SFR as you've been saying is out of reach, especially as my wife prefers new construction or pretty new (<5 years old). The THs at city walk (elements/latitude) look especially enticing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I am somewhat familiar with Ashburn and can imagine in my head the environment OP is used to: green, big houses, long roads - all popping into my head. OP might also consider Rancho Santa Margarita. Although significantly remote than what Pacific is discussing in AV, RSM has beautiful mountains nearby and is another option for you to consider. But even there you will not see giant houses on huge lots (and certainly not colonial ones lol) except in RSM's neighbor Coto de Caza.

I believe there might be many small SFRs in your price range in RSM but the trade off is being a bit cut off and certainly not too close to the ocean. There is also Lake Forest, which also has good schools and is more convenient to most places, but that area has mostly older homes - something to consider.

A lot depends on where you work. Where are the work locations?
That's exactly what Ashburn is. Big houses with lots of land. I know i wont find that easily in OC, nor am i expecting to. I took a look at RSM and it seems like all the houses were built in the 80s which is too old for what I'm looking for. Is AV probably one of the only newer developments around?

As far as work, i work from home so no issues for me. My wife will be staying at home for a while and start to try to find work from home jobs later, she's in web development.

As far as money goes, we'll be on one income ($100k/yr) and we have no debt. We have two cars now but would sell one before we move as we only need one. Car payment is $300. Does this sound do-able to live comfortably? Keep in mind my pay is based out of DC, so when we move to California's higher income tax, my pay will be probably in the lower 90s (i think).

Old 06-02-2014, 07:11 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Great list! I saw a lot of those pop up in my prelim search for a house. I'm starting to think a SFH OR SFR as you've been saying is out of reach, especially as my wife prefers new construction or pretty new (<5 years old). The THs at city walk (elements/latitude) look especially enticing.

That's exactly what Ashburn is. Big houses with lots of land. I know i wont find that easily in OC, nor am i expecting to. I took a look at RSM and it seems like all the houses were built in the 80s which is too old for what I'm looking for. Is AV probably one of the only newer developments around?

As far as work, i work from home so no issues for me. My wife will be staying at home for a while and start to try to find work from home jobs later, she's in web development.

As far as money goes, we'll be on one income ($100k/yr) and we have no debt. We have two cars now but would sell one before we move as we only need one. Car payment is $300. Does this sound do-able to live comfortably? Keep in mind my pay is based out of DC, so when we move to California's higher income tax, my pay will be probably in the lower 90s (i think).

Here are some new areas since you seem to like those:
  • There are newer bigger homes in San Clemente at Talega (eastern master-planned San Clemente), but they do have Melo Roos (although they successfully fought to have them lowered or the term lessened). The issue with that area is that it is far from most things, but it is nice and very livable. Also bear in mind that Talega is not cheap.
  • Ladera Ranch is newer (also Melo Roos). The big homes there are overpriced in Covenant Hills IMO.
  • There is a brand new development in Lake Forest. Google Baker Ranch. New homes.

OC is nearly completely built out.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 06-02-2014 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Great list! I saw a lot of those pop up in my prelim search for a house. I'm starting to think a SFH OR SFR as you've been saying is out of reach, especially as my wife prefers new construction or pretty new (<5 years old). The THs at city walk (elements/latitude) look especially enticing... Is AV probably one of the only newer developments around?

Yes, AV is one of the newer developments. Still, quite a few homes were constructed during the 1990's and still look new, like this one located on Ocean Mist and built in 1994:

19 Ocean Mist, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# OC14094694 | Redfin

The city itself looks new. There are even newer developments around the county, but AV is OC's newest city. Regarding your income, you should be able to make it, especially if you ditch one of the cars.

Your wife may be able to find a job here n AV since we have a mini tech sector (Dell, Smith Micron, Telogis, QLogic...and multiple smaller firms/ startups).
Information Technology Companies in Aliso Viejo, California (CA)

Additionally, a number of companies, like Pacific Life, are either headquartered here, or have a presence, like Fluor, and use tech people.

Or, she might find something in the much larger tech center of Irvine.

Last edited by pacific2; 06-02-2014 at 08:28 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 AM

42 posts, read 113,650 times
Lots of great info. So as I've said, I've booked to come in November to check out the places and also visit my brother in law. Here is my list of neighborhoods to check out so far:

Aliso Viejo: mainly the City Walk area and surrounding areas.
Lake Forest: Baker Ranch
Irvine: Portola Springs

All have housing in the low to mid $600s. I'm resigned to the fact that to get what we want we'd have to up our budget to $650k or lower.

If there are any other 'hoods to check out, please let me know!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Lots of great info. So as I've said, I've booked to come in November to check out the places and also visit my brother in law. Here is my list of neighborhoods to check out so far:

Aliso Viejo: mainly the City Walk area and surrounding areas.
Lake Forest: Baker Ranch
Irvine: Portola Springs

All have housing in the low to mid $600s. I'm resigned to the fact that to get what we want we'd have to up our budget to $650k or lower.

If there are any other 'hoods to check out, please let me know!
There are a few things to keep in mind when looking at Baker Ranch and Portola Springs. They may not be deal breakers, but you have to keep your eyes open.

Baker Ranch is near a jail:

All the media hoopla about the opening of Baker Ranch has avoided mention of the nearness of Baker Ranch to the existing jail and to the proposed new addition.
Baker Ranch Opens / Musick Jail Expands - City Watch - Lake Forest, CA Patch

pacific2:
{Facetiousness Alert}

Musick gets mostly 4 Star reviews on a certain popular ratings website.

James A. Musick Facility
13502 Musick Honor Farm Road
Irvine, CA

//www.city-data.com/forum/orang...ke-forest.html

Portola Springs is near a landfill:

recycled:
Just my 2 cents on Portola Springs. A quick glance at Google Maps shows how close Portola Springs is to the largest landfill (garbage dump) in our area. The landfill is in the hills just east of PS. Sometimes the smell from the garbage dump drifts down into the area all the way to Irvine Blvd, especially on a calm summer morning with a lot of humidity in the air from fog. The dump is just east of the toll road, and all the garbage trucks drive up Sand Canyon to Portola Parkway to the dump. There is a sheen of greasy grime in the right lane of Sand Canyon most of the way from I-5 to Portola and then heading to the turnoff to the dump.
//www.city-data.com/forum/orang...new-homes.html

I would recommend looking at Ladera Ranch, Mission Viejo and Rancho Santa Margarita. Also, although you are not likely to find a SFR at your price range in that area, I would definitely add Laguna Niguel for a condo/townhouse.

Since you will be working from home and travel will not be an issue, maybe you should also check-out San Clemente's condos/townhouses.

In the past, some people avoided San Clemente because there is a nuclear power plant there, but we are all within close range of it. The good news for those who had concerns, is that the plant has been decommissioned (after a recent oops).

Last edited by pacific2; 06-03-2014 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County