Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 03:20 PM

17 posts, read 16,979 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, i've read through several posts before i dared to post this here

i'm a single man in mid twenties looking for a life style change so i am planning to transfer to Irvine CA with my current company, no debt and salary wise i'm in the 80k range. rental price for 1 bedroom or studio (is that popular in CA?) in the 0.8-1.4 range a month

i'm looking for neighborhood based on these factors
-culture, i'd like to have coffee shops etc where young people hang out
-safety not that many gunshots/robberies
-commute is reasonable (30 mins or so from the Canyon Rd, Irvine CA)
-bike range to the beach? (am i asking for too much?)

I appreciate your help. I plan to fly down next thursday for an interview so i'll be able to see the areas for myself..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 04:50 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,341 times
costa mesa brah

Old 06-04-2014, 06:59 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Huntington Beach
Newport Beach (Balboa Peninsula)

You should be able to find a SMALL apartment / studio in your price range. Finding a local roommate is also a good way to meet people.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:47 PM

18 posts, read 21,069 times
Costa Mesa and Newport beach sound like a great place for you.
Huntington beach also has lots of dive bars, it's right by the beach and has a lively downtown life

Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 PM

gotcha, i will look at Costa Mesa, Newport and Huntington beach. is the traffic bad from Huntington to Irvine? how about Newport Beach to Irvine?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:14 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Irvine is huge so you have to be more specific

traffic is easy going in to irvine from HB. Its another story on the commute home. Usually takes me 45 minutes from the airport area to Huntington Harbour (near PCH and Warner)

Newport and Irvine share borders. So the commute could be as simple as walking across the street, or up to 40 minutes depending on where you live and where you work.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:47 PM

357 posts, read 711,755 times
We live on the Peninsula and the +1 commutes to Sand Canyon and the 405. Typically takes him around 30 minutes but he doesn't go at typical rush hour times. East Costa Mesa or Newport for sure, Huntington would definitely put you out of your 30 minute range. If you're close to the 55 your desired commute shouldn't be a problem. Note that some areas of the Peninsula can be really crazy, loud with weekly summer rentals, etc. We live on what would be considerd the quietest area of the peninsula and love it, parking is easier and less weekly rentals.

Wherever you decide I'd highly suggest finding a place with 1 parking spot and anticipate spending closer to the high end of your budget. Also, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area of Newport surrounding Newport Blvd, vs. more east Newport/Corona del mar which I don't know as well.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:51 PM

DinsdalePirahna, to be more specific, my work is around 15505 sand canyon ave, irvine. and i was wondering about the traffic between that and the beach areas of huntington and newport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County