Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:40 PM

276 posts, read 747,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk2013 View Post
Lake Forest and Mission Viejo are both great cities, close to Irvine. As far as school districts go, Lake Forest, Foothill Ranch, parts of Mission Viejo, and parts of Rancho Santa Margarita, and Laguna Hills are in the Saddleback Unified District. Capistrano District serves parts of Mission Viejo and RSM as well, so you would need to check those boundaries.

I live in Lake Forest and my children attend Saddleback schools, and we've been very happy so far. There are a few elementary schools that score a little lower, but I wouldn't call them bad schools by any means. Saddleback does not offer regular bus service, but does offer it for children with special needs. I'm not sure about Capistrano district. Our daughter is in fourth grade and several of the the children with mild to moderate disabilities join their class for math and language arts lessons, which is wonderful! Parent involvement is stellar within the district, and really makes a difference for the children.

As far as budget goes, you should be able to get a very nice home in your price range within Lake Forest or Mission Viejo. As to the previous post calling parts of Lake Forest "seedy", I'm not sure that is the word I would use, as it could scare people off. The areas of Lake Forest that are maybe "less desirable" or "less aesthetically pleasing" would be areas closest to the 5 freeway. Either way, LF and MV are consistently rated as the some of the safest areas in the country.

Here are some links that may help with your research:

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and
California School Performance Maps
Saddleback Valley Unified School District | "Preparing today's students to succeed in tomorrow's world."

Hope that helps a bit. Best of luck with your search!
Thank you very much---it certainly does help. I've spoken to a realtor and she mentioned that the drive from Mission Viejo to Irvine--taking the Toll road--is around 30 minutes--this sounds far :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesnkids View Post
Just a note about the autism aspect...I'd stay central OC or near Irvine. Don't go too far south (i.e. San Clemente) if you need to be at the doctor all the time. I have experience myself and friends who have more severe autism care needs and most seem to be around the Irvine/Santa Ana central area.

There are really no "seedy" parts in Lake Forest. It's just very suburban. Mission Viejo is family oriented, suburban, clean and quiet. Capistrano Unified (in my experience, depending on your school IEP or special program requirements) is completely average. Nothing great. Irvine school district is a tad better.
I'm leaning, at this moment, toward Mission Viejo...daughter has Asperger's. She does have extreme frustration, and when that happens...no one really can calm her down. It's been so difficult, to say the least.

So what happens if she is booted from public school? That is another mjr concern. If that is the case...then I would need to find probably an autistic school. So I truly need to consider the geographic region in mind

Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 PM

79 posts, read 96,100 times
where are you located now?

my son has autism, i'm in toms river and exploring moving to this area of california.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:39 PM

i was in cranford for 19 years and have been in TR for a year. not liking how things are spread out here!

Old 06-17-2014, 03:08 PM

basal1999--i live in Holmdel. there are so many issues for my daughter, so I'm searching for the ideal place.

NJ was awesome for services for our kids. I am guessing Ca. is similar. However, most of what i've been reading on these forums spells doom, seemingly.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:31 PM

doom...re: services in CA? have you read about regional centers in the oc area?

are you happy with holmdel school district?

can you stay in your current job?

Old 06-17-2014, 03:38 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
basal1999--i live in Holmdel. there are so many issues for my daughter, so I'm searching for the ideal place.

NJ was awesome for services for our kids. I am guessing Ca. is similar. However, most of what i've been reading on these forums spells doom, seemingly.
I'm missing something. Where is the doom in my post (#2)?

I thought the posts I referenced there were positive regarding autistic services in the Capistrano Unified School District.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I'm missing something. Where is the doom in my post (#2)?

I thought the posts I referenced there were positive regarding autistic services in the Capistrano Unified School District.
sorry-- i meant moving to California in general. Not from you (i dont recall) but in general...lots are saying how bad it is out in CA

Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basal1999 View Post
doom...re: services in CA? have you read about regional centers in the oc area?

are you happy with holmdel school district?

can you stay in your current job?
same job--yes. it will be retained.
holmdel is good -- i guess. ive not too many complaints.
but at this moment, i am leaning very heavily towards Ventura County over OC.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
sorry-- i meant moving to California in general. Not from you (i dont recall) but in general...lots are saying how bad it is out in CA
I wasn't clear, because I certainly did not think it was in any way personal.

It's just that you seemed to think, unless I misunderstood you, that there were no good autism services in OC and that things were doomed. However,the posts I referenced speak highly of CUSD's ability to provide them.

Other OC school districts may also do a good job.

Best of luck, because it looks like you have a lot on your plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County