Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:35 AM

8 posts, read 11,194 times

Advertisements

I am relocating for a job in Irvine and I have 2 children in elementary school. I've heard great things about Irvine schools, but I also hear that the community is very "cookie cutter" and super suburban. We are from Chicago originally and have lived in San Francisco and Baltimore. We like diverse areas.... walking neighborhoods that are safe but that also have character. We will be renting to start and our price range would be no higher than $2200/ month.
Does anyone know of an area that has great schools, but that also has a diverse cultural feel? Being near the beach would be nice too but I hear the beach neighborhoods are way more expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC2014 View Post
I am relocating for a job in Irvine and I have 2 children in elementary school. I've heard great things about Irvine schools, but I also hear that the community is very "cookie cutter" and super suburban. We are from Chicago originally and have lived in San Francisco and Baltimore. We like diverse areas.... walking neighborhoods that are safe but that also have character. We will be renting to start and our price range would be no higher than $2200/ month.
Does anyone know of an area that has great schools, but that also has a diverse cultural feel? Being near the beach would be nice too but I hear the beach neighborhoods are way more expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Hello. Most people don't care about an area being "cookie cutter" as long as its nice, clean and safe and most people don't sit at home here. They are out working, shopping, dinning out, going to the beach....so its not like they are sitting around pondering if they are living in suburbia. You might want to consider that the average 2 bed/2 bath apartment in Irvine is in the $2100 range. Average SFHs around 1500 square feet will run more. You might want to consider less expensive areas like Aliso Viejo and Mission Viejo. Not too be rude but everyone wants what you are looking for out here and on the cheap, it doesn't exist. If it did, everyone would be here. If you want a unique, non cookie cutter, non suburban city with walking neighborhoods that are safe with great schools, look in Laguna Beach. Just be prepared to at least double your rental budget.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:51 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,660,669 times
Quote:
I would ignore mbell. That poster is the epitome of orange county pretentious snobbery.

To me it sounds like you should look into City of Orange. It's about 20-30 minutes from Irvine, has solid schools, and isn't a cookie cutter subdivision full of beige and cul de sacs.

Here's the California API school report.
API 3 - Year Average(CA Dept. of Education)

The city has neighborhoods that look like this.

However, most of the historic homes are going to be renting between 2500-3000 / mo.

I did see this tiny bungalow for $2000/ mo. So it is possible if you look around.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/a....html]Bungalow for Rent

You could also look into Tustin. I just don't know the area as well.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I know I'm asking for something that probably doesn't exist anywhere (at least not on our budget) but I figure it can't hurt to ask the people who actually live in the area. I'll look into the neighborhoods you suggested. I appreciate the photos of Orange too- nice to see!

Old 07-09-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I would ignore mbell. That poster is the epitome of orange county pretentious snobbery.
Hey! I suggested Aliso Viejo and Mission Viejo! Both are nicer than Orange and close to Irvine too.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 PM

I saw that mbell- thanks! I will be looking into those areas as well. Looking back through older threads here, it sounds like they are both great places.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Hey! I suggested Aliso Viejo and Mission Viejo! Both are nicer than Orange and close to Irvine too.
No they're not. I think Orange is nicer than either of them and wouldn't be caught dead living there. Talk about dull and boring.

The OP asked for help to find an area that isn't "dull suburbia" or instead looking for "walking neighborhoods that are safe but that also have character".

And this is what you recommended

Aliso Viejo

Mission Viejo

Old 07-09-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
No they're not. I think Orange is nicer than either of them and wouldn't be caught dead living there. Talk about dull and boring.

The OP asked for help to find an area that isn't "dull suburbia" or instead looking for "walking neighborhoods that are safe but that also have character".
Have you ever lived in Orange? I did, for 2 years and it was beyond boring. You know how long the commute to Irvine is in the morning and back from work in the evening? Who wants to waste hours of their lives in a car each day sitting in traffic? Not to mention the houses are older than dirt and look like it. The only area thats "walkable" is downtown near the traffic circle and thats a snoozefest unless you are into dirty old antiques Homes in AV and MV are much newer and nicer. Different strokes...

Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Have you ever lived in Orange? I did, for 2 years and it was beyond boring. You know how long the commute to Irvine is in the morning and back from work in the evening? Who wants to waste hours of their lives in a car each day sitting in traffic? Not to mention the houses are older than dirt and look like it. The only area thats "walkable" is downtown near the traffic circle and thats a snoozefest unless you are into dirty old antiques Homes in AV and MV are much newer and nicer. Different strokes...
One last time.

"Relocating for a job in Irvine.. want great schools but not dull suburbia. Does this exist?"

There are two options. 1) You are so dense that you don't understand what this means or 2) you are just trying to waste the OP's time and choose to ignore his criteria so that you can spew more of your worthless posts ripping on Orange, Santa Ana, Tustin, Anaheim, etc.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,015 times
Quote:
I saw that mbell- thanks! I will be looking into those areas as well. Looking back through older threads here, it sounds like they are both great places.
If there is one city more cookie cutter than Irvine, it would be Aliso Viejo. If there was one city that was designed as a "me too" to Irvine, it would be Mission Viejo (MV company exec eventually bought Irvine company).

Orange, Fullerton and Tustin are the closest to what you're looking for (in that order).

There are pockets of Tustin off Browning and homes up in Lemon Heights and Cowan Heights that are also less tract and more ranch style.

Fullerton trumps all of them for schooling and nightlife/originality but is the furthest from Irvine and the beach.
Tustin is more spotty on schools and homes but cuts your commute to mere minutes.
Orange splits the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County