Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 04:02 PM

95 posts, read 160,995 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of making a move to Southern California and noticed that house prices in safe areas of Orange County are significantly cheaper than safe areas of the Los Angeles area. Laguna Niguel, Irvine, Mission Viejo are very affordable and very safe. On the higher end, Laguna Beach and Newport Beach are beautiful coastal places that despite being the more expensive areas of the OC, are still significantly more affordable than Malibu and Pacific Palisades up in L.A.

One thing that is peculiar though, is that going strictly by the statistics and numbers, Newport Beach is very high in crime. When I'm in Newport though, I feel very safe so I was very shocked when I was doing research online and saw the number of thefts, burglaries, and petty crime (obviously not too many murders/gangs/serious crime).

Wondering why this is? And why would peoples want to live there then if nearby areas that are cheaper are safer?

I'm guessing it might be sort of like how Beverly Hills in L.A. feels safe when you are there, but actually has high crime because people close to it view it as the "rich" area so burglars decide to do their crimes where it would pay off the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 04:25 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
I wonder if crime is higher in Laguna Beach and Newport Beach primarily due to a few reasons:
  • That's where the money is, and crooks know it.
  • They are both popular tourist destinations and thieves may like to prey upon unsuspecting visitors.
  • Some visitors may not be so innocent.
  • Newport has a number of substance abuse rehab centers. Who knows if some don't support their habits with "extracurricular activities" in the area once discharged?
As to why people continue to live in those coastal areas despite the relatively (compared to the rest of South OC) high crime rates, they are still safe and very desirable places in which to live.

Last edited by pacific2; 07-13-2014 at 04:35 PM..

Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
I have found crime to generally be higher in tourist towns because of the transient nature of tourism. Google that ugly bar fight in downtown Huntington Beach a few months back, people from working class parts of LA county coming down and starting **** in HB over rival baseball caps. Angel vs Dodgers.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Most of the crime is drunks and petty theft. Lots of trash diggers after big weekends and Newport Beach has a LUGO ordinance. Loud and Unruly Gathering Ordinance. Most of the crime is drunks fighting etc Newport at the balboa peninsula is a party area

Old 07-13-2014, 08:09 PM

Bored, I decided to stop guessing and actually take a glance at the Newport Beach police stats for 2013, and it looks like most "Part I" offenses were due to Larceny Theft (Total 1638: 699 =Petty Theft, 308=Grand Theft & Burglary Theft from a Motor Vehicle=631); Burglary=460; and Grand Theft Auto=119.

"Part II" was dominated by All Other Offenses=553; Drunkenness=541; Drug Abuse=453; DUI=432; Fraud=393; and Vandalism=340.
Newport Beach Police Department - Crime By Year

Old 07-13-2014, 09:24 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,119 times
Crime in Newport Beach is very high compared to what? Irvine? LOL. Ive never even seen someone litter in NB and Im there a lot.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:31 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgermaine View Post
I am in the process of making a move to Southern California and noticed that house prices in safe areas of Orange County are significantly cheaper than safe areas of the Los Angeles area. Laguna Niguel, Irvine, Mission Viejo are very affordable and very safe. On the higher end, Laguna Beach and Newport Beach are beautiful coastal places that despite being the more expensive areas of the OC, are still significantly more affordable than Malibu and Pacific Palisades up in L.A.

One thing that is peculiar though, is that going strictly by the statistics and numbers, Newport Beach is very high in crime. When I'm in Newport though, I feel very safe so I was very shocked when I was doing research online and saw the number of thefts, burglaries, and petty crime (obviously not too many murders/gangs/serious crime).

Wondering why this is? And why would peoples want to live there then if nearby areas that are cheaper are safer?

I'm guessing it might be sort of like how Beverly Hills in L.A. feels safe when you are there, but actually has high crime because people close to it view it as the "rich" area so burglars decide to do their crimes where it would pay off the most.
Others have disagreed with me when I made this same point. I strongly agree on it being very affordable even compared to even say, pretty mediocre (and hot) Glendale, and would go further. I think it is a real bargain compared to LA if you can work at home or avoid the commute. After all, we get far less traffic, amazing weather (unlike Glendale/Burbank/Pasadena) clean air, open space, beauty, open trails, a clean environment, backyards, easy access to beaches. Yes, it is a bargain *if* you can make a living in OC. For example, 850-900k in Laguna Niguel can get you a nice decent 3/2 home in a very clean neighborhood. It won't be in Bear Brand, but it will get you a decent home. Compare what you get in smoggy Pasadena for that same money (a "charming" rambler built in 1951 and held together by termites), nevermind West LA!

Old 07-14-2014, 12:54 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,119 times
Sorry but OC is more expensive then LA. Median home price in LA is only $435k while it's now $580k in OC. It was just named the 2nd most expensive area in the nation behind SF.

O.C. median home price hits $580,000 - The Orange County Register

Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 AM

95 posts, read 160,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Bored, I decided to stop guessing and actually take a glance at the Newport Beach police stats for 2013, and it looks like most "Part I" offenses were due to Larceny Theft (Total 1638: 699 =Petty Theft, 308=Grand Theft & Burglary Theft from a Motor Vehicle=631); Burglary=460; and Grand Theft Auto=119.

"Part II" was dominated by All Other Offenses=553; Drunkenness=541; Drug Abuse=453; DUI=432; Fraud=393; and Vandalism=340.
Newport Beach Police Department - Crime By Year
Most of these crimes are not of too serious as others mentioned. However, burglary (of the home I am assuming as auto theft is a separate category) is of high concern. It's not a big deal if someone takes a few things in your house and leave I guess, but if a heist goes wrong (like you're accidently home and catch them in the act), it's not too crazy to think something serious could happen if the criminal is armed with a gun or even just a knife and get caught up in the moment.

I'm also a young, single woman of small stature. I work from home, have loner tendencies, so I'm hypervigilent about safety as I don't have a family or boyfriend with me at all times like most people living in a quiet, deserted suburban environment.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgermaine View Post
Most of these crimes are not of too serious as others mentioned. However, burglary (of the home I am assuming as auto theft is a separate category) is of high concern. It's not a big deal if someone takes a few things in your house and leave I guess, but if a heist goes wrong (like you're accidently home and catch them in the act), it's not too crazy to think something serious could happen if the criminal is armed with a gun or even just a knife and get caught up in the moment.

I'm also a young, single woman of small stature. I work from home, have loner tendencies, so I'm hypervigilent about safety as I don't have a family or boyfriend with me at all times like most people living in a quiet, deserted suburban environment.
Understood. In that case, you might want to consider one of the very safe nearby cities of Laguna Niguel or Aliso Viejo.

I don't know if you saw my post on another thread, but here is C-D's crime index for several South County cities:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Laguna Beach's crime rate is lower than the national average. This is how it compares to neighboring cities:

Crime rate legend:
Very low (< 50) Low (50 - 199) Average (200 - 449) High (450 - 1000) Very high (> 1000)

See how dangerous Laguna Beach, CA is compared to nearest cities:
(Note: Higher means more crime)
Laguna Beach:
Dana Point:
Laguna Niguel:
Laguna Woods:
Aliso Viejo:
Laguna Hills:
San Juan Capistrano:
Mission Viejo:
Lake Forest:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Laguna-Beach-California.html#ixzz35uMtE5CX

By comparison, C-D lists Irvine (on a different page) at 89.4 and Newport Beach is at 151.7...

Last edited by pacific2; 07-14-2014 at 06:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County