Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:20 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingcol View Post
I agree. Why people live in TX should not post on the OC board?
Hey, it's a free country. But I do think it is possibly telling of a desire to reinforce a decision they possibly regret by bad mouthing their old area. I've lived in both, and I don't care if I had to live in a box with 12 children, I would never subject them to Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 02:41 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,033 times
Maybe we can get the moderator to zap all the negative posts; but, then there wouldn't be much to say. I think some of the ra-ra types who post here must work together in a boiler room somewhere trying to pull the wool over the eyes of those asking for the real facts about California. If you find something posted here to be not factual say so. What's wrong with an honest discussion about facts? You're sounding a little like the professors in so many CA colleges (and elsewhere) - speak the party line or shut up. Complain and teacher will punish you with a bad grade.

As I've said elsewhere I still own property here, pay property taxes, and have relatives here. After 5 decades of watching the place decay I think I know a thing or two about living in the used-to-be golden state.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:54 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slang75 View Post
I'm tired of people comparing OC to world class cities. OC is a string of freaking huge boring suburb. I'm not saying that's a bad thing...if you're into it. I'm just saying that it's such a cheap shot to use 3 of the best cities (and LA) in the US to compare against an entire county of suburbs. If you want make a comparison use Westchester, Marin or San Mateo county. To compare OC to these cities is really-really stretching.
I think many compare it to those cities, because many here in OC have lived in those cities.

For myself just moving from New York City, OC is a bargain. 800k bought us a 1 bedroom Co-Op in West Village. If you compare OC to Marin or San Mateo, OC will be much less and you have to deal with NoCal weather.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:59 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
Maybe we can get the moderator to zap all the negative posts; but, then there wouldn't be much to say. I think some of the ra-ra types who post here must work together in a boiler room somewhere trying to pull the wool over the eyes of those asking for the real facts about California. If you find something posted here to be not factual say so. What's wrong with an honest discussion about facts? You're sounding a little like the professors in so many CA colleges (and elsewhere) - speak the party line or shut up. Complain and teacher will punish you with a bad grade.

As I've said elsewhere I still own property here, pay property taxes, and have relatives here. After 5 decades of watching the place decay I think I know a thing or two about living in the used-to-be golden state.
I agree with you. I think it is rather amazing how some of these people can't read especially regarding my posts. My biggest concern for people moving to CA is the cost financially. After that it is a just a personal preference. I happen to like the people here, both transplants and natives. Maybe it is the fact that it is less stressful financially or just that they are just darn friendly. I have many good friends in CA and hope to meet many to supplement them here in Texas. My closest friend and his wife are coming out over Easter break to visit while their son is playing in the Dallas Cup. They want us to show them the area and look at the housing.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Negative remark away, most people say the same things anyway:

"It's too expensive to live in OC." "Texas or Indiana are cheaper"
Like we didn't know that

There is only one problem with living in cheaper places (like Texas), you have to live there.

Last edited by Mach50; 12-20-2007 at 04:20 PM..

Old 12-20-2007, 05:51 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
Quote:

I already pointed out how the posts regarding 1.25 millon dollars homes were incorrect unless you want a 4000 sq. foot house, why the boring suburbs of San Jose and the East Bay are as much as twice as expensive but even farther from a beach and colder (and more boring), and how it is a relative bargain. Honest discussion? Party line? More like sour grapes. Enjoy the bugs and humidity.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,056 times
I have been on this board, and the NJ and PA boards for awhile, and I realize that most states have people who love it, and people who hate it. Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to live where they live, or wanting to escape where they live. Most people think my husband and I are crazy for wanting to move to the east coast, but we have no family here, and yes we can get more for our money when it comes to housing. Will we have to sacrifice some things to be near family? Yes.
To some it just isn't worth it. There are those that will sacrifice a bigger home for nice weather, and a laid back lifestyle, to each his own I say. I think it is smart to do your research as far as housing, schools, etc before you make any move. If it is affordable to you, and only you know this, then by all means move. I don't think people are trying to "bash" California, I think many of us have found it hard to live the life we want financially and we are frustrated. Just do your research as to where you can afford to live in CA and you will be fine.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM
dls

90 posts, read 411,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
You really need to look closer at the housing market. There are lots of GOOD houses around 1800 square feet that can be had for $500K in top areas with great schools. 1.25 Million? No one making $170K who isn't insane would even consider that. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. One Millon gets you a 3000 square foot house in a top notch area- but I wouldn't recommend buying that much house unless you can afford it. Don't believe me? Do a search on Realtor.com or craiglist or just go house shopping in Orange County. You can get a decent family home in the 500s, a nice home in the 600s and 700s and a home that you wouldn't ever have to move out of no matter how many kids you have in the 800s. People play sour grapes on these forums a lot to convince themselves they are making the right decision in moving to a third world state like Texas. They are not. Don't be fooled by the negative hype.
Could you give and example or two about where you could get an 1800sf house in a good OC area under $600K? That would be great for me if I could find it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dls; 12-21-2007 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls View Post
Could you give and example or two about where you could get an 1800sf house in a good OC area under $600K? That would be great for me if I could find it. Thanks in advance.

1800 sf for 600k is really pushing it, something more realistic for that price is 1600 sq ft.

However, it is still possible:

Mission Viejo:
http://www.realtor.com/search/listin...cnt=148#Detail

Aliso Viejo:

Irvine:

Old 12-28-2007, 02:01 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
Default wow

$170k/yr is a TON of money. There are people making $70k/yr living in OC raising kids just fine, you just have to live within your means. It's ludicrous for anyone to say that $170k/yr is insufficient. People say it isn't enough because they are making $100k/yr and then spend on credit like they are making $1 million/yr, buying super expensive houses and fancy BMWs and Lexuses. Since when did a Lexus become the minimum entry level vehicle? Or a 5 bedroom mansion become just a "nice house" Over consumption and living above one's means is a disease in this area.

Home prices are rapidly declining, you should realize that the run up in home prices is a temporary bubble situation and homes are not going to remain at these prices much longer. Just yesterday I went to an open house to see a beautiful 2100sqft townhome in Mission Viejo and the owner was prepared to let it go for $480k. Still way too inflated since he bought the place in '02 for $299k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County