Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:22 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times

Advertisements

I imagine that although hiring may also be slow in SD, perhaps they too have a need for science teachers. Have you considered casting your net wide enough to include schools in the northern SD cities of Carlsbad, Oceanside and Vista, for example?

I don't know if they are on the same district, but they are all a short reverse traffic commute from San Clemente.

As I am not in education, I'm only speculating about all of this and have zip first-hand knowledge about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:08 PM

20 posts, read 25,418 times
I actually did look into one opening in SD. Next summer I'm going to have to go full steam ahead on this and do it right. Use my aunt's HB address, meet with the HR team, etc. Moving across country is SO much more difficult now that we own a home, have kids, etc. I was really hoping that something would bite earlier this summer and give us the time we needed to make the move. With school starting only a few weeks away now, this transition becomes VERY difficult.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:18 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsifoes View Post
She had no trouble finding a teaching position right after her master's program and her starting pay was 55k, 5 years ago.
Right before the state budget cuts to education began. You really can't compare that period to today's job market in this field.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:21 PM

133 posts, read 274,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZepes View Post
That starting pay is not correct because districts publish their salary schedules online and they have to start you on the scale based on your years of teaching (up to a point). There is no way a teacher with a masters plus 52 is going to be starting out at 35 or 40K. Typically, they'll take between 6 and 10 years prior experience into consideration but that is their ceiling depending upon the district. If the district you teach in is actually starting veteran teachers off at 37K, there is a major problem.

Also, CA schools require teachers to be HQ according to NCLB so that would eliminate many novice teachers just entering the profession. I'm not saying that you're incorrect about teachers with more years of experience being overlooked in favor of cheaper, less experienced candidates. I'm just saying that typically (at least in CUSD), you still need to be HQ.
A few years back when I was looking up pay and putting in applications I saw several schools that started at 35kish, then added a thousand for 2, 3, 4, or 5 years experience, never saw anything that offered extra pay past that duration (but I only ended up looking into 4 different districts). You were able to get the same boost as having 3 years experience if you had a masters, masters or being a Dr. had the same pay bump. All the extra paperwork did was get you to the cap 3-5 years faster, nothing more.

I have friends that teach at both state and community college, here in the Central Valley almost every city college I know requires you to be a Dr. now, four years ago a masters was enough. Obviously every district/school/institution is different but this was what I saw and went through when I was trying to get hired, every interview had a lot of people from farther away than I would have believed for a chance to get steady work. Then tenure is now unconstitutional so who knows, maybe lots of jobs will open in the next 2-3 years.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 PM

I know in CUSD, I would be making close to 70K with my years experience factored into their salary schedule. Where I teach in MD, there is a 10K difference between the county I live in and the county where I work. Even here in MD, we get a lot of candidates from PA who are looking for work. Teaching is a nice steady profession (although CA may be the exception) but the pay is never going to make you rich. It's a tradeoff though. Have more time to spend with family, etc. or make more money. Of course, I haven't gone into detail in terms of dealing with 160 students every day and all the issues associated with keeping the peace, grading HW during after-school hours, etc.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:19 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
too many teachers graduating every june who will work for starting salary. will you? that's who you are competing with. there's a reason why med schools limit entry to students. they control the market with the docs they mint so the salaries don't drop due to high supply.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 AM

Perhaps true but those teachers won't be "Highly Qualified" according to NCLB and schools want teachers with that status because it looks better - and there is something to be said for hiring a veteran teacher with experience versus a kid right out of school with zero experience. Still, I know what you're saying.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:42 AM

Ok, thanks for all the advice. If I were to list it all out, am I missing anything:

1) Put down an OC address on resume
2) call HR people and speak to them directly
3) send resumes directly to Principals and VPs of high schools
4) ...

Old 08-10-2014, 01:19 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,700 times
Schedule face to face meetings with hiring managers and HR. "I know there's nothing open at the moment, but I'd be pleased to network with you should something come available in the future." Also, "however I can assist the school/district in filling open spots" including referrals, curriculum ideas and networking. Open yourself up as a resource rather than as someone purely looking for a job.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:50 PM

Are there any former or current teachers on this forum who work(ed) in CUSD or San Diego that would be willing to look over my resume and give me any advice? It would be greatly appreciated. I plan on reapplying next spring and trying to meet with HR personnel over Spring Break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County