Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,796 times

Advertisements

Look at online crime heat maps or stop in at the nearest police station and ask about crime in the neighborhood you are considering. Check with your auto insurance company on what your new rate will be once you know the address to avoid a nasty surprise after you move. You may gain in having lower utility costs due to the temperate climate. Most taxes are very high here (income, sales, gas.) Several online sites let you compare cost of living between two areas, but they often omit taxes. Explore commuting times before settling on a neighborhood; mileage can be misleading due to traffic congestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Having lived in the Saint Louis Area for two years before returning to OC:

Food Costs are about the same (but you have a better variety out here, unless you have cravings for Midwestern Specific Fare ie: Provel Cheese [yech])
Gas is more expensive and you will use more of it to get around - OC is very spread out. Many people commute at least 30 miles per day (ideally uyou will find a home within a few miles of your job and your school)
You wont need winter clothes unless you plan on going to the mountains
If you live by the ocean, your heating and air conditioning bills will be significantly lower

Old 09-20-2014, 05:20 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Having lived in Louisville and Cincinnati:

- Food: costs similar, but as Dinsdale said, much better variety in CA. Prices may be increasing a bit, however, because of the drought.
- Gas: more expensive, without contest. With new greenhouse gas emissions laws taking effect incrementally, gas could increase $0.20-1.00 per gallon over the next year. People will still commute those long distances though.
- DMV fees: above average compared to the states as a whole, but comparable to what I paid in Cincinnati.
- Freeways are massive even by standards of, for example, Chicago

Old 09-21-2014, 11:30 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Former Ohioan who moved to Orange County -

- We always rented 3-5 bedroom homes in south Orange County (Mission Viejo, Laguna Hills, Wagon Wheel).
I didn't like northern or coastal CA because it wasn't as sunny as south OC, I like it hot.
- Always had to bring our own refrigerator, which I think is bizarre too.
- On homes, some have lake priveleges (MV/Lake Forest), some are in very restrictive HOA's (keep looking)
- I would definitely rent! We lived in beautiful homes without the extra costs of homeowning (until you're sure where you want to buy)
- Rent near the schools so your kids can walk. You will thank me for this.
- We always had to pay all utilities, but no HOA fees (those were paid by the homeowner)
- Higher costs: gas, insurance, car registration, heating swimming pools
- If I worked in Santa Ana, I'd still live in MV or LH - I never liked Irvine or Costa Mesa
- Don't need a coat, but you need a sweater/hoody almost every night, even in summer and especially if you are close to the ocean

Old 09-21-2014, 12:08 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
In regards to grocery, produce is often much cheaper here than in other places and better quality. We lived in Northern Illinois for awhile, and the produce was terrible and so expensive compared to what we're used to.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:49 PM

21 posts, read 41,005 times
I lived in Omaha for 4 years for medical school but grew up and currently live in OC. I'd move to the midwest in a heartbeat if my wife would…..you get so much more for your money and the people are much nicer in the midwest.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:15 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
If you're working in Santa Ana, another option is North OC...specifically La Palma, Cypress, Fullerton and parts of Buena Park (the part that lies within the Fullerton school district's borders), as these cities are more affordable, very diverse and have great schools as well. Many of the white folks who live there now were originally from the Midwest, or their grandparents were. So it has a bit of that culture (though, that's more true of La Habra/La Mirada, but those areas feel like retired communities).

For the most part, the homes in North OC will be older than South OC (think California ranch homes, built between the early 50's and late 70's), but not too old as many of those cities were still farmland just a couple decades ago. There are pockets of newer, South O.C. style, homes but they also come with their according price tags (I saw one new subdivision in Buena Park that read "Affordable homes starting in the low 500,000's!" lol -_- )

Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
The biggest challenge I believe you will have, which I am having even being from OC, is the people, the pace, which are a lot faster than anywhere in the Midwest or Denver Metro
Pace of what??? People here in Denver aren't exactly sitting around on their front porches whittling.

Having moved to Denver from OC, I don't see any difference in the people, other than I don't have any tweaker neighbors in Denver (good thing). And the pace of the freeways here is usually a little faster lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County