Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 11:13 PM

11 posts, read 38,272 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm planning to move from Santa Cruz to southern california as I cannot deal with the level of drugs here anymore due to an allergy to marijuana smoke. It's not a personal belief system, I believe everyone should do what is right for them, I just cannot be around it. I know it may sound odd to those not used to the area, but I've spent 3.5 years and rented places in all areas of town, it's impossible to not be next door to someone smoking marijuana or be able to take a walk in a neighborhood where you live without many people smoking. I'm seeking a space in California where it's not as prevalent. I'm in my 40's, single, no kids, work from home much of the time and seeking a quiet area to rent a small home. I would prefer somewhere a little warmer than northern california but I'm ok with the same for the right area. I am also into healthy food and would prefer a holistic type community closeby. It would be great as well to have people around my age and entrepreneurial mindset. Love to hear the thoughts on the san clemente area - I'd considered encinitas as well but on another forum looks like the drug use is about the same as santa cruz. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 10:27 PM

15 posts, read 51,974 times
Ever been to San Clemente before? Smoke shops on every corner. An no, the water pipes aren't for tobacco. I lived in SC for 5 years--pier bowl area mostly--and its the perfect place to live if you're a bro-surfer stoner with no ambition in life or a middle aged alcoholic who recently inherited a lot of money. Not much is holistic about SC, though the sunsets are nice. I'd argue that SC is more pretentious than Newport beach (just not as flashy). If you can afford it I would recommend Dana Point or Laguna over SC for a nice beach town.

If you are still set on SC and want a lower-key and relaxed environment I'd recommend Talega, which is much more family oriented and has a more cookie-cutter suburban feel, but with one caveat: in Talega its difficult to get anywhere because you're set back 4-5 miles from the 5 freeway, which is frequently jammed, especially in the summer time. Lastly if you ever decide to have kids you'll want to send them to private schools because the Capistrano Unified School District is abominable. I went through 2-12 @ CUSD and the education I received felt like 3rd world quality. Run down infrastructure (our "theather was the cafeteria), lazy union teachers, Mexican gangs, and lets just say that San Clemente High School was built for 500 students and now has well over two thousand. Just imagine what the worst gas station bathroom you ever visited was like and that's every bathroom at Shore Cliffs & San Clemente High. Every other high school I've visited in OC beats the pants off of it, with Trabuco being the best.

Last edited by solo_rider; 01-04-2015 at 10:40 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,312 times
Dana Point *may* be better by comparison to San Clemente as far as partiers go, however you will just have to be very selective about the type of unit/building you rent in. Pay attention to where the windows are....our last apartment was constant cigarette smoke coming through the windows and currently our neighbors smoke marijuana at all hours of the day. So, yes it's nice to live in Dana Point for the most part, but you will have to be selective about where you rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County