Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 05:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times

Advertisements

Orange County residents welcome rare sight of snow | abc7.com

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...html#slideshow

How much is left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 08:18 PM

285 posts, read 534,210 times
The only snow I saw was a light dusting on the top of Saddleback mountain... I didn't see any on the ground?? Apparently I don't leave the house often enough, lol!

Old 01-02-2015, 12:20 AM

92 posts, read 134,241 times
I live in the Robinson Ranch neighborhood in RSM. The neighborhood ranges from 1200 ft. elevation at the bottom to 1600 ft. elevation at the top. To my knowledge it is the highest elevation tract development in OC. Silverado Canyon has homes up to about 1850 ft.

On the night of the 30th there was a rain/snow mix at my house lasting for more than three hours. At the top of the neighborhood there was heavy snowfall with accumulation. It was covered in the media (pictures), a long line of cars was driving up Robinson Ranch road, and quite a few people were playing in the snow on the slopes above Robinson Ranch.

There was substantial snowfall in the Santa Ana mountains. A foot was reported in El Cariso on Ortega Hwy elevation 2600 ft. I've hiked extensively in these mountains and I suspect at least a foot fell in the vicinity of Holy Jim Falls elevation 2800 ft. There were reports of trees/limbs down due to the unusual snow load.

These mountains get snow every year. Santiago Peak is close to 5700 ft elevation. But this storm was exceptional for large snowfall at low elevations. The snow melts fast on the sunny south and west facing slopes. At sundown today there was still a bit at 2600 ft. level on west facing slope above Robinson Ranch. It will last longer on the shady north facing slopes. Above normal temps are forecast next week which should melt what's left fast.

Last edited by rsmfan; 01-02-2015 at 12:38 AM..

Old 01-02-2015, 10:53 AM

335 posts, read 619,834 times
I live in Dove Canyon, and as I was driving around to take pics of the mountains, I went up one street to find houses and cars which had some snow cover. Although I grew up in NJ, I spent the last 16 years living in South FL, so this was kind of neat to see the snow on someplace other than at the ice rink where I live!

When I was driving around I saw the huge line of cars heading toward Robinson Ranch and wondered what was going on. I saw on the police blotter that people were calling the cops to try to get Robinson Ranch closed off to residents only, because of all the gridlock it caused.

Although I didn't go to Robinson Ranch, I was one of the many who stopped their cars and took pics at RSM lake and also at Lake Mission Viejo.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 AM

Could you please post a pic of RSM and Mission Viejo lakes with the snow in the background? Thank you!

Old 01-02-2015, 11:42 AM

823 posts, read 1,784,467 times
My family and I are so lame. We don't do anything and always want to go see snow, but have never done so. This year, I need to take them out and take advantage of the snow at lower elevations.

Would love to play in snow in South OC, but it just feels weird raiding someone's neighborhood to play in their snow. I'm glad I wasn't part of the caravan of cars on Robinson Ranch.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:49 AM

92 posts, read 134,241 times
Robinson Ranch has legitimate hiking take off points located in the neighborhood- Bell View Trail, etc. It is perfectly OK for the public to come up and enjoy the national forest and OC parklands. In fact this open space dedication was part of the development agreement which allowed Robinson Ranch homes to be built. I thought the day was exciting, if a a bit of an inconvenience. Come on up if or when it happens again.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmfan View Post
I live in the Robinson Ranch neighborhood in RSM. The neighborhood ranges from 1200 ft. elevation at the bottom to 1600 ft. elevation at the top. To my knowledge it is the highest elevation tract development in OC. Silverado Canyon has homes up to about 1850 ft.

On the night of the 30th there was a rain/snow mix at my house lasting for more than three hours. At the top of the neighborhood there was heavy snowfall with accumulation. It was covered in the media (pictures), a long line of cars was driving up Robinson Ranch road, and quite a few people were playing in the snow on the slopes above Robinson Ranch.

There was substantial snowfall in the Santa Ana mountains. A foot was reported in El Cariso on Ortega Hwy elevation 2600 ft. I've hiked extensively in these mountains and I suspect at least a foot fell in the vicinity of Holy Jim Falls elevation 2800 ft. There were reports of trees/limbs down due to the unusual snow load.

These mountains get snow every year. Santiago Peak is close to 5700 ft elevation. But this storm was exceptional for large snowfall at low elevations. The snow melts fast on the sunny south and west facing slopes. At sundown today there was still a bit at 2600 ft. level on west facing slope above Robinson Ranch. It will last longer on the shady north facing slopes. Above normal temps are forecast next week which should melt what's left fast.
Here are some pics from Rsmfan! Thank you, nice!
Attached Thumbnails
❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ Snow in OC❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄-12-31-14-snow.jpg   ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ Snow in OC❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄-ocsnow.jpg   ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ Snow in OC❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄-ocmvsnow.jpg  

Old 01-02-2015, 05:09 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
My husband has lived in Mission Viejo or RSM his entire life and said he'd never seen snow so far down on the mountains as this. We live in walking distance of Robinson Ranch, but decided not to go up to see the snow. I thought it would be crowded and we had company from areas where it snows regularly (Spokane...) so it wouldn't mean anything to them, but I regret that now! It's melting fast but it was beautiful while it lasted.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:16 PM

335 posts, read 619,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Here are some pics from Rsmfan! Thank you, nice!

Um, I think I was at RSM lake at the same time rsm fan was! After I took a pic of the snow I thought I would take a pic of people taking pictures of the snow:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-31 12.48.23.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	142263

Last edited by FLSkater; 01-02-2015 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: changed photo link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County