Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2015, 01:43 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times

Advertisements

In addition to the car, air conditioning was the other invention that had a huge impact on development. More so in in places like Florida, AZ, Las Vegas, than OC due to its temperate weather.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:33 PM

347 posts, read 666,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Irvine-Again, more huge buildings, major interstates, giant malls and shopping/business centers and high-rises grouped together. Don't see this in a true suburb.
You just defined an edge city... which is far from being "urban" in nature. I already went over this. Irvine's business complex around the airport is an edge city. Anaheim's resort is the same. Fashion Island is the same. Edge cities dude.

Downtown Santa Ana is the closest thing we got to traditional urban area. Which is one of the reasons why I believe Santa Ana will have a successful future.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmfan View Post
FWIW regarding thread title, I don't know why anyone in OC should be scared of Santa Ana thriving or being cool. I certainly am not. There is no inverse relationship between the state of Santa Ana and the state of the rest of OC. Just the opposite actually. All the best to Santa Ana!
There's tons of people, including mbell in this thread, that love to perpetuate a dirty and dangerous Santa Ana. For whatever reason, they do not want to believe Santa Ana is awesome.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:36 PM

109 posts, read 141,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
There's tons of people, including mbell in this thread, that love to perpetuate a dirty and dangerous Santa Ana. For whatever reason, they do not want to believe Santa Ana is awesome.
Eh, I'd say DOWNTOWN Santa Ana is pretty awesome, along with the South Coast area and maybe the northeast (Fairhaven) area. That's about it, the rest isn't that nice imo.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:49 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Let me drop some knowledge bombs on you since after 12 pages of looking like a complete idiot it seems you're still too thick to understand simple urban design terminology.
Let me drop some knowledge bombs on you kid. You don't know more than the US Census Bureau. Read what is considered "urban", and you will see that several large cities in OC qualify...an urban area is not classified by how it LOOKS. Cities like Anaheim, Santa Ana and Irvine are indeed URBAN areas according to the requirements of the US Census Bureau. Go ahead and argue against it, you just look like a fool.

https://www.census.gov/geo/reference...ural-2010.html

Old 02-01-2015, 11:10 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Let me drop some knowledge bombs on you kid. You don't know more than the US Census Bureau. Read what is considered "urban", and you will see that several large cities in OC qualify...an urban area is not classified by how it LOOKS. Cities like Anaheim, Santa Ana and Irvine are indeed URBAN areas according to the requirements of the US Census Bureau. Go ahead and argue against it, you just look like a fool.

https://www.census.gov/geo/reference...ural-2010.html
Hey sonny, I'm glad to see you decided to embrace it and just went out to get a nice saddle.

You're a joke. It's pretty sad how you just embarrass yourself every time you post by displaying how ignorant you are. I already have told you why you're wrong at least three times in this thread.

I'll give you some hints since you clearly can't figure this out on your own.

1) Urban area is a noun. Urban is an adjective.
2) The US census Bureau is classifying geographic areas in a dichotomy of urban vs rural. Guess what? Suburban isn't mentioned at all. That means they must not exist, right?

Get a clue.

Anyways, I'm done correcting you over and over about technical terms that clearly you know absolutely nothing about. It's a waste of my time trying to educate a complete moron.

If you could please get back on topic and comment about how scared you are of all the Hispanics in Santa Ana that are coming to rob you, that would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by HyperionGap; 02-01-2015 at 11:30 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Anyways I'm done correcting you over and over about technical terms that clearly you know absolutely nothing about. It's a waste of my time trying to educate a complete moron.
Yeah, I just skip his posts now.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:07 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Hey sonny, I'm glad to see you decided to embrace it and just went out to get a nice saddle.

You're a joke. It's pretty sad how you just embarrass yourself every time you post by displaying how ignorant you are. I already have told you why you're wrong at least three times in this thread.

I'll give you some hints since you clearly can't figure this out on your own.

1) Urban area is a noun. Urban is an adjective.
2) The US census Bureau is classifying geographic areas in a dichotomy of urban vs rural. Guess what? Suburban isn't mentioned at all. That means they must not exist, right?

Get a clue.

Anyways, I'm done correcting you over and over about technical terms that clearly you know absolutely nothing about. It's a waste of my time trying to educate a complete moron.

If you could please get back on topic and comment about how scared you are of all the Hispanics in Santa Ana that are coming to rob you, that would be great. Thanks.

I've done more homework for you regarding differences between urban and suburban. Primarily there are three factors: population density (people per square mile), distance from nearest city, and/or size of the nearest city (urban and suburban areas extend farther for larger cities).

The Department of Defense had established the following designations for a ZIP Code:

- Urban: 3,000+ persons per square mile
- Suburban: 1,000 ‐ 3,000 persons per square mile
- Rural: less than 1,000 persons per square mile

From National Geographic:

Most inhabitants of urban areas have nonagricultural jobs. Urban areas are very developed, meaning there is a density of human structures such as houses, commercial buildings, roads, bridges, and railways. An urban area includes the city itself, as well as the surrounding areas. Many urban areas are called metropolitan areas, or "greater," as in Greater New York or Greater London.

Seeing as how cities like Anaheim (326k population 6,816 people per square mile), Santa Ana (337k population 11,310 people per square mile), Irvine (143k populations 4,127 people per square mile) and several other cities in the OC have more than 3k people per square mile, more than a population of 50k, structures including houses, commercial buildings, roads, bridges and railways and OC is considered "greater Los Angeles", they are indeed URBAN cities.

If you wish to continue arguing your point, I suggest you post some FACTS from valid sources as I have, not simply your own ideas of what urban and suburban areas are

Old 02-02-2015, 03:45 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Have a look at this density map.

File:California population map.png - Wikimedia Commons

Old 02-02-2015, 09:38 PM

So stoked about the 4th Street Market!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County