Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:22 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
How long the immunity lasts depends on the type of vaccine, in general attenuated vaccines (like the measles vaccine) provide the vast majority of people lifelong immunity. On the other hand vaccines that are based on dead cells often require boosters.

No, because I received the whole-cell vaccine (which was phrased out in the early 1990's) and boosters aren't really required unless you're in a high risk group (e.g., medical professional). The boosters for those that received the newer vaccine were recommended when it became clear it wasn't working as well as the older, but less safe, vaccine.
Measles

Measles

61% of the cases are adults over 20 years old. They don't list specific ages. The report said that have some vax records but not all. From that one can assume that these people would have to have had vaccinations in order to have a vax record.

Cannot draw the conclusion that because they did not have a record of vaccination, they were not vaccinated. This would probably be the case for older adults for whom the records could have been lost over time. On that note, if they were older adults then they probably had that older (killed) measles vax, or none at all over a certain age, such as the 70 year old man. It is assumed that born before 1957, people would have had measles, or come in contact with it and have natural immunity. However, if some did not actually have measles itself, perhaps over many decades and not being exposed all those years, the "lesser" immunity wore off? No specifics were given on the old man. Lot of data missing from all this. Cannot point to just ONE CAUSE.

At any rate, it was confirmed that an adult woman was the initial carrier, but they did not say how old she was or if she was vaccinated or not. The initial carrier was not an unvaccinated child. It seems from this report, that it is the adult population who are spreading it. However, the media likes an EASY scapegoat and is blaming the "Dr. Jenny parents". Sounds like in the Disney outbreak that is not true at all. Only correlation is that Disney equals little children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 07:41 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
At any rate, it was confirmed that an adult woman was the initial carrier, but they did not say how old she was or if she was vaccinated or not. The initial carrier was not an unvaccinated child. It seems from this report, that it is the adult population who are spreading it. However, the media likes an EASY scapegoat and is blaming the "Dr. Jenny parents". Sounds like in the Disney outbreak that is not true at all. Only correlation is that Disney equals little children.
Well done. Buh-bye Jenny!

Old 01-29-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You can impute what you wish to my statements. I repeat: I stated that the demographic that does not vaccinate is typically a well educated one. I provided references.
No, that isn't what you wrote. If you had, no one would "impute" otherwise.
Quote:
Briefly...
There's nothing "brief" about any of your posts in this thread.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:24 AM

Ok, this might get me into trouble but. Educated people are stupid for not following the herd. Uneducated people are smart for following the herd. The hidden message on demographics.

Sheep follow the herd. The shephard (guess who?)who leads them is smarter than the sheep.

What in the world is she talking about? ROFL

Old 01-29-2015, 12:26 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
61% of the cases are adults over 20 years old. They don't list specific ages. The report said that have some vax records but not all. From that one can assume that these people would have to have had vaccinations in order to have a vax record.

Cannot draw the conclusion that because they did not have a record of vaccination, they were not vaccinated. This would probably be the case for older adults for whom the records could have been lost over time. On that note, if they were older adults then they probably had that older (killed) measles vax, or none at all over a certain age, such as the 70 year old man. It is assumed that born before 1957, people would have had measles, or come in contact with it and have natural immunity. However, if some did not actually have measles itself, perhaps over many decades and not being exposed all those years, the "lesser" immunity wore off? No specifics were given on the old man. Lot of data missing from all this. Cannot point to just ONE CAUSE.

No, one can have records documenting that vaccines were not given.

The person who brought measles to Disney has not been identified. If you have a source that says otherwise, please tell us what it is.

No one has said that the person who brought measles to Disney was a child, vaccinated or not. If you have a source for that, please tell us what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well done. Buh-bye Jenny!
California measles outbreak grows to 73 cases - CNN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No, that isn't what you wrote. If you had, no one would "impute" otherwise
Please link to any post I have made that says no educated parents vaccinate their children. What I have clearly said is that anti-vaccine parents tend to cluster in high socioeconomic areas. They do tend to be educated people.

Most educated people vaccinate.

A lot who do not vaccinate are educated.

Why Do Affluent, Well-Educated People Refuse Vaccines? | Chicago magazine | Politics & City Life March 2014

"During the 1980s and 1990s, undervaccination in the United States was primarily unintentional, associated with diminished access to health care, and was frequently observed among inner-city ethnic or racial minorities, inner-city families living in poverty, and children whose mothers had limited education. Outbreaks attributable to vaccine refusal tended to be observed among religious groups with objections to vaccination (eg, Christian Scientists and the Amish). In contrast, reluctance to vaccinate in the San Diego outbreak was associated with health beliefs, particularly among well-educated, upper- and middle-income segments of the population, similar to those seen in measles outbreak patterns elsewhere in 2008."

"Undervaccinated children tended to be black, to have a younger mother who was not married and did not have a college degree, to live in a household near the poverty level, and to live in a central city. Unvaccinated children tended to be white, to have a mother who was married and had a college degree, to live in a household with an annual income exceeding 75,000 dollars, and to have parents who expressed concerns regarding the safety of vaccines and indicated that medical doctors have little influence over vaccination decisions for their children."

"When Seth Mnookin began his definitive book The Panic Virus on the anti-vaccine movement, he was inspired to do so by encountering the beliefs among 'our peers… they lived in college towns like Ann Arbor and Austin or sophisticated urban centers like Boston and Brooklyn; they drove Priuses and shopped at Whole Foods. They tended to be self-satisfied, found it difficult to conceive of a world in which their voices were not heard, and took pride in being intellectually curious, thoughtful, and rational.' ”

Old 01-29-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Please link to any post I have made that says no educated parents vaccinate their children.
Ok.
Quote:
Educated people are not vaccinating,
What you wrote was a blanket statement without qualification.
Now then:
Quote:
What I have clearly said is that anti-vaccine parents tend to cluster in high socioeconomic areas. They do tend to be educated people.

No it wasn't clearly said previously. But now this is much better. Dismissed

Old 01-29-2015, 10:37 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
This is what I'm talking about, people. Because we have people who have the luxury of ignorance, both of past morality suffered from these diseases and of the actual science behind modern vaccines, we are putting the most vulnerable members of society at risk. And to the extent that diseases like measles still remain rare, it's because many other people DO vaccinate, and so these anti-vaxxers are selfishly benefiting from and relying on the very herd immunity they denigrate and actively damage.

The actions of these misguided anti-vaxxers will soon result in the completely avoidable death of perhaps not just their own, but of other people's children as well.

Mom: Family that refused vaccination put my baby in quarantine - CNN.com

Quote:
Then the Simons learned from a doctor that the child in the doctor's office had contracted measles because his parents had refused vaccination.

Livia, just 6 months old, is too young to be vaccinated.

"I'm angry," Simon said. "I've been upset that someone else's personal choice has impacted us so much."

"Their choice endangered my child," she said.

In Alameda County, where Simon lives, nine infants were in quarantine as of Tuesday night because of the measles outbreak, a spokeswoman said.
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/dads...403711947.html

Quote:
Krawitt made the request of the school, Reed Elementary in Tiburon, because his son Rhett just won a long battle with leukemia, leaving him immune compromised and unable to get vaccinated as he recovers.

"It’s very emotional for me," Krawitt, who could not be reached by Yahoo Parenting, told NPR. “If you choose not to immunize your own child and your own child dies because they get measles, OK, that’s your responsibility, that’s your choice. But if your child gets sick and gets my child sick and my child dies, then … your action has harmed my child.”

"When your immune system isn’t working as well, it allows many different infections to be worse," Rhett’s oncologist, Dr. Robert Goldsby, told NPR. "It’s not just Rhett. There are hundreds of other kids in the Bay Area that are going through cancer therapy, and it’s not fair to them. They can’t get immunized; they have to rely on their friends and colleagues and community to help protect them."

Old 01-29-2015, 10:52 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
CDC: Adult vaccination rates are drastically low | Fox News

So how will this achieve Herd Immunity? If you were to achieve 100% childhood vaccination, you still have unvaccinated adults traveling all over. Do these adults flock to the same community and stay there? The vaccinated CHILDREN in their neighborhood will protect them? Adults don't go to work, travel, go to sports arenas, etc.? Didn't we see this with the Disney employees, presumably adults? Remember the NYC measles outbreak? BIG CITY where millions of people come in contact with other people. They flock to the same neighborhood with like minded people?

If an adult says no they don't want this or that vax, how are you going to force them? Look at that CDC report and see the percentage of adult not getting their recommended vaccinations and/or boosters. They have all been brainwashed by Jenny McCarthy? If you had asked me a year or two ago who she was, I would have said Paul's daughter? She wasn't even born when I stopped vaccinating.

Your Herd Immunity is unworkable.
If the science is so off and you know so much better with your anti-vaxxer agenda, explain to me why Polio is not epidemic in this nation like it was back in the 1940s.

Quote:
Whether or not the initial carrier was an unvaccinated child is irrelevant to the fact that unvaccinated children and adults are a huge risk factor in diseases like Measles potentially regaining a foothold in America. The large majority who got that disease at Disney world were unvaccinated, and these are the kinds of people who will be spreading it. Doesn't matter who started it; matters who will fan it like wildfire.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:33 AM

While they did quarantine for polio way back when, they didn't for measles, mumps, etc. They held parties so their own kids would actually CATCH them as young as possible. Today we have people running to the ER if they think they have the flu. I read somewhere that they estimated, because it was not recorded, something like 5 million childen a year used to catch measles. That would be an absolute HORROR today. People today are SO terrified of getting sick. Being in PAIN. Catching something from somebody else. Medicine has spread fear and paranoria. Horrible, horrible way to live. So afraid of dying, and of others, that you cannot be happy in living.

My rant from an elderly person who the HERD has to protect.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
No, one can have records documenting that vaccines were not given.

The person who brought measles to Disney has not been identified. If you have a source that says otherwise, please tell us what it is.

No one has said that the person who brought measles to Disney was a child, vaccinated or not. If you have a source for that, please tell us what it is.

California measles outbreak grows to 73 cases - CNN.com

Please link to any post I have made that says no educated parents vaccinate their children. What I have clearly said is that anti-vaccine parents tend to cluster in high socioeconomic areas. They do tend to be educated people.

Why Do Affluent, Well-Educated People Refuse Vaccines? | Chicago magazine | Politics & City Life March 2014

"During the 1980s and 1990s, undervaccination in the United States was primarily unintentional, associated with diminished access to health care, and was frequently observed among inner-city ethnic or racial minorities, inner-city families living in poverty, and children whose mothers had limited education. Outbreaks attributable to vaccine refusal tended to be observed among religious groups with objections to vaccination (eg, Christian Scientists and the Amish). In contrast, reluctance to vaccinate in the San Diego outbreak was associated with health beliefs, particularly among well-educated, upper- and middle-income segments of the population, similar to those seen in measles outbreak patterns elsewhere in 2008."

"Undervaccinated children tended to be black, to have a younger mother who was not married and did not have a college degree, to live in a household near the poverty level, and to live in a central city. Unvaccinated children tended to be white, to have a mother who was married and had a college degree, to live in a household with an annual income exceeding 75,000 dollars, and to have parents who expressed concerns regarding the safety of vaccines and indicated that medical doctors have little influence over vaccination decisions for their children."

"When Seth Mnookin began his definitive book The Panic Virus on the anti-vaccine movement, he was inspired to do so by encountering the beliefs among 'our peers… they lived in college towns like Ann Arbor and Austin or sophisticated urban centers like Boston and Brooklyn; they drove Priuses and shopped at Whole Foods. They tended to be self-satisfied, found it difficult to conceive of a world in which their voices were not heard, and took pride in being intellectually curious, thoughtful, and rational.' ”
I refused to give my kids Hep vax in the 90s. Did he write thqt down? Their doctor said I needed that too. Did he write down somewhere that I refused too?

My husband refused that also when he was in the hospital. Did his doctor put that in the CDC database? When that doctor asked ME if I had gotten bla, bla, bla, vax and told him I wasn't going to, did he snitch on me too?

Uh, oh. Big Brother is watching you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County