Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 06:19 PM

347 posts, read 666,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperiongap View Post
is that your back up account mbell? 34 posts in 4 years. Rofl.
hahahah! :d:d:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 12,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Cat View Post
However, there maybe a ceiling for how much the arts can benefit an entire city of 300K plus people
Not buying into that one. I think the city should ride that horse for as long as it can

Old 02-14-2015, 05:14 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Yep. Only two options. OC or Waunakee WI.

Since you don't think OC is a suburb why are you comparing it to suburbs?

Also, if you think "young people" are super keen to go to Disney land and Knotts berry farm you're a bit out of touch. You do realize were talking about people 21 plus right?
Disney is HUGE with young adults. I know dozens of people ages 16-24 who hold Disney passes and go pretty much whenever they feel like it. In fact, I think people in this age range get more excited about Disney than many younger kids do. Maybe it's a local thing here as Disney is very integrated into OC's culture and is very much a part of growing up here.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Disney is HUGE with young adults. I know dozens of people ages 16-24 who hold Disney passes and go pretty much whenever they feel like it. In fact, I think people in this age range get more excited about Disney than many younger kids do. Maybe it's a local thing here as Disney is very integrated into OC's culture and is very much a part of growing up here.
Most definitely, the difference is that Disneyland (the park) is the experience, not the shops around. College aged kids and young professionals don't go to Downtown Disney to "hang out" like we would go to DTSA or other areas. Going to Disneyland is cool, going to hang out in Downtown Disney? uhhh yeah, not cool.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:01 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
At 600 or 700 bucks, a full pass is not cheap. They no longer sell that Southern California pass that was a bit more reasonable.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:21 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
At 600 or 700 bucks, a full pass is not cheap. They no longer sell that Southern California pass that was a bit more reasonable.
That hasn't phased many of the people I know who still carry them. But I agree with Urban Planner, DisneyLAND is the only place these folks really go.

The only time I ever go to downtown Disney is if I have relatives visiting who want to go there, or if I am going to see a show at HOB.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:21 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Not true, they still sell the SoCal Select pass and its only $289 a year. Besides, you can still renew the discontinued SoCal passes, you just can't buy them new. Even the Deluxe is only $519.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/

Old 02-15-2015, 12:26 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Santa Ana is starting to have more nice pockets, how someone referred to Costa Mesa to me years back.

Driving in SA today. Nice new development on Fairview and Alton, but the rest of the area, run down.

Driving up Bristol north of MacArthur it just get run down and gritty.

I don't understand how Mater Dei stays there they are surrounded by ghetto with a bunch of white kids from South County going there with cars worth more than mine.

The neighborhood right off 17th and Flower has some really nice maintained homes, some fully restored Victorians.
Alton is pretty far south, and that area is not so run down.

Bristol run down and gritty? Much better these days; it was far worse twenty years ago. You're probably thinking between 1st and Civic Center; much better anywhere south of 1st now.

It's been widened and given fresh plants.

That neighborhood you're typing about in your last sentence is known as Floral Park, and it extends from 17th to the city border and from Main St to Flower, where it becomes West Floral Park until you hit Bristol. After that you cross into Alona Park, which is not bad but a more typical offering on the "Santa Ana Menu".

There are more than pockets in the city elsewhere, and even in the rougher areas there are standout blocks and streets. A friend of mine lives in an area known as Wilshire Square, not too far from Memory Park. It is somewhat separated from the rest of the neighborhood by cement posts, if I remember correctly.

My last epic walk there (I work in the city so I often get my exercise there) was a surprise; 21st to Fairhaven between the railroad track and Grand Ave. Thought it was a nice but dinky neighborhood; far more to walk than I thought. Most houses were at least average; some were well up the scale. Good vibe.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:33 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
Most definitely, the difference is that Disneyland (the park) is the experience, not the shops around. College aged kids and young professionals don't go to Downtown Disney to "hang out" like we would go to DTSA or other areas. Going to Disneyland is cool, going to hang out in Downtown Disney? uhhh yeah, not cool.
So what? Hung out in DD a few times to watch the dancers and see the bands play. Beats paying $100 every time to go into the park (I don't go to Dizzy often enough to warrant my getting a pass). I didn't notice the "coolness police" out writing tickets to us nerds and nerdettes crowding the concrete there.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
So what? Hung out in DD a few times to watch the dancers and see the bands play. Beats paying $100 every time to go into the park (I don't go to Dizzy often enough to warrant my getting a pass). I didn't notice the "coolness police" out writing tickets to us nerds and nerdettes crowding the concrete there.
Whoa, just stating a perspective. If you think it's cool so be it, I just know that isn't a millennial destination. I don't remember the last time any of my friends wanted to go to Downtown Disney on a friday or saturday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County