Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:39 PM

282 posts, read 445,706 times

Advertisements

I live in Irvine; and I moved here from Huntington Beach, so that should give you some perspective on my reviews below.

1) everything is way overpriced. But income pays more too so actually it evens out unless you are unemployed or a wage worker (someone who works hoursly at a low rate, like mcdonalds for example). And if you are unemployed (meaning, not employed and have no other way to get income i.e. home business), you won't be living here for long, because either 1) you will move to a cheaper area which has higher crime and probably be killed by some illegal mexican, or 2) you will end up on the streets.

2) everything is nicer. everything is cleaner, newer, better-kept.

3) too many people

4) too many asians
too many mexicans
in some places, white people are a minority.
almost no blacks

5) don't come for the beaches. I found quickly the beaches were way too overcrowded and thus not even enjoyable. You get the feeling from an ocean of freedom, openness, ease, a laid back feeling. But when the beach is overcrowded, that benefit is lost, and thus the benefit of going to a beach is also lost. I'm not even going to go into the exploitation of beach lovers by parking fees, etc. That is, if you can even find a place to park at the beach.

I came here largely because of the beach. I ended up moving ti Irvine which is a bit of a drive from the beach because it's nicer and I never actually go to the beach anyway. Even though I did buy the year HB parking pass, I never actually use it. Because the beach is not enjoyable for me because there is no privacy and too many people.

6) people are nicer and happier than many cities/states. But they are also faker and more flakey. It's not easy to find a real friend, and it's harder to get anyone to follow through on anything.

7) very sunny. I love that. It makes for a good baseline.

8) rarely hot, very rarely cold, usually perfect all year round.
Also the perfect amount of warmth during the day and cooling down in the evening.

9) apartments cost way too much. Rivals new york city. my apartment costs over 2,000 a year and it's not huge. a living room, smallish kitchen, and two master bedrooms each with own bath. Don't get me wrong though, it's very very nice. granite countertops, newish appliances, central heat/ac, beige carpets, and the apartment has a pool, grills, tennis court, basketball court, even its own (public) park. and it's very well kept, and everything is kept in new looking condition inside and out. But still, the price is sky high. within 5 years of the rent here you could own a 200,000 house outright (mortgage paid off). which in some areas (NOT THIS AREA) is a pretty good sized house.

10) low crime. MOST areas are very safe. There are still some bad areas - but those bad areas are not found in Irvine. Still lock your car and house doors but don't worry about getting mugged walking to your car.

11) people say the air quality is bad. But I moved here from Seattle (I'm not from Seattle though but I lived there for awhile) which has some of the best air quality, and I was concerned about this. But since being here although on a couple occasions I noticed a haze, it was rare and I have never actually felt any deterioration in air quality. Maybe this would change when you go farther inland. But in Irvine/Newport/Huntington/Laguna */* Viejo/Lake Forest/San Bernandino/ all the way down to San Diego etc the air quality is fine. And I'm a bit obsessive about air and water and food quality so you can trust me on this one. Then again, I am healthy and don't have asthma or allergies so I can't comment on it if you have allergies or asthma.

so would i move? I dunno, probably not. Besides the cost of living, overcrowding, and being a minority in my own country, it's paradise as far as weather, low crime, primity to the beach, and niceness and cleanliness of the area.

There's a good reason Irvine is rated #3 best city to live in the USA. But don't come here. There are way too many people here already. Unless you're white, there aren't enough white people here!! lol

oh, another one.

12) bad place to own a business. Sure you make more money. But all that money gets stolen from you in taxes. Thinking about moving my business to Texas or Nevada or Arizona or Washington where there are low/no income tax. But not move there, I would run it from here in socal. No thank I am not moving back to overcast seattle, or to hot desert arizona or nevada, or hot humid texas. no thank you.

I'm sure there are more things, but that's all for now.

hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 10:56 AM

329 posts, read 624,805 times
Agreed for the most part. Beaches especially, I don't even bother going to the beach on weekends.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:52 AM

9,808 posts, read 11,081,734 times
There were some good comments in your post. But the air quality is good in San Bernardino? A typo perhaps.

Your comment about there being too many Asians and Hispanics is ridiculous. Is it for you to decide who gets to live in OC?

Old 02-04-2015, 02:27 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,644,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Your comment about there being too many Asians and Hispanics is ridiculous. Is it for you to decide who gets to live in OC?
Just the usual racist OC trash that gives OC such a bad rap. I really loved these parts from the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
There are way too many people here already. Unless you're white, there aren't enough white people here!!
Quick, pack your bags Mary Sue. We're leaving! I saw a brown person move in next door.

Quote:
being a minority in my own country
Wtf is that even supposed to mean? Would he rather be a minority in someone else's country?

Old 02-04-2015, 03:21 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,521,016 times
Yet anytime a minority makes a thread looking for an area with more people of their own race AA, Asians or Hispanics thats perfectly fine? Racism works both ways idiot. There is nothing wrong with a white person wanting to live around more people of their own race. Every other race seems to love it. Are they racist also?

Old 02-04-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Yet anytime a minority makes a thread looking for an area with more people of their own race AA, Asians or Hispanics thats perfectly fine? Racism works both ways idiot. There is nothing wrong with a white person wanting to live around more people of their own race. Every other race seems to love it. Are they racist also?
So wanting to live around people of their own race and saying
Quote:
4) too many asians
too many mexicans
is the same thing now?

I'm not surprised that a racist bigot like yourself thinks these two things are equivalent. Just move to Texas already where you can go live in some white supremacist redneck dump with like minded hicks.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:35 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,650,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post

is the same thing now?

I'm not surprised that a racist bigot like yourself thinks these two things are equivalent. Just move to Texas already where you can go live in some white supremacist redneck dump with like minded hicks.
Uh oh, but then how would he explain the move to his other half since he states he is "half-Mexican?"

-What a wicked web we weave when in racial supremacy we do believe.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Uh oh, but then how would he explain the move to his other half since he states he is "half-Mexican?"

-What a wicked web we weave when in racial supremacy we do believe.
Pretty sure she's actually of Spanish descent. Which she claims makes her "hispanic."

Either way, I'm sure there's some mental gymnastics she could go through to figure it out

Old 02-04-2015, 09:41 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,560,321 times
Hey, hey, I'm Asian. We like whites veree much, they buy our noodles. lmao!!
Most of us Asians are pretty darn American, were born in and around the OC, and surf. No need to be scared now.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:06 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,521,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post

is the same thing now?
Yep! When an AA, Asian or Hispanic wants to know where there are large amounts of their own race they can live with, thats basically saying they are xenophobic and don't care to live around other races. Shazam! Racism! You can't be this clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County