Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 03:14 PM

347 posts, read 666,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I was under the impression you thought Anaheim was a dump and couldn't wait to leave. What happened big boy?
Right? All of a suddennnnn... he has a different opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 03:16 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
Right? All of a suddennnnn... he has a different opinion.
I think he's got psych issues. Probably multiple personality or bipolar.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:20 PM

347 posts, read 666,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Santa Ana just has some restaurants and bars in a faux downtown area. No comparison.
You're calling DTSA a faux downtown? Are you kidding me? That's literally one of the oldest parts of the county with the most original buildings. You have no idea what you're talking about.

If anything is faux, it's the Platinum Triangle. You cannot be a "downtown" when you have 8 lanes roads separating your suburban 3 story apartments. Anaheim is a resort town, Santa Ana is for the locals.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:42 PM

115 posts, read 191,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The strange thing about Anaheim's development is the San Diego like patterns. It reminds me of a large Mission Valley (for those who are familiar with that area). The growth seems centered around the ball park, etc.
Not to mention a large convention center

Quote:
Anaheim tends be very development-centric whereas Santa Ana is more gentrification-centric. In the end, Anaheim will be much larger.
Anaheim has entitled a total of 19,000 housing units, 4.7 million sq. ft of commercial space and 14 million of office space (which is roughly half of what downtown LA total)

Old 02-07-2015, 03:46 PM

115 posts, read 191,431 times
Quote:
You're calling DTSA a faux downtown? Are you kidding me? That's literally one of the oldest parts of the county with the most original buildings. You have no idea what you're talking about.
I would agree with your reply. DTSA is hardly faux. It is very authentic and traditional.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:17 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
You're calling DTSA a faux downtown? Are you kidding me?
Yea, Im sorry but a few blocks of older 2-3 story buildings with some restaurants, bars and some shops is not a real downtown IMO. Especially when two of those "restaurants" are a Jack in the box and Burger King LOL. Let me know when Santa Ana gets stadiums, arenas, a world famous amusement park, a huge convention center hosting major national events and all the other things it lacks that Anaheim has had for decades and maybe we can talk. Downtown Santa Ana is more like a larger downtown Orange, not even close to what Anaheim has to offer in the Platinum Triangle area. Hell, there is arguably more variety of things to do at Downtown Disney alone then DTSA lol. Restaurants, shopping, House of Blues, all kinds of things to do with the kids, a movie theater...Now back on topic, this is about the ANAHEIM PLATINUM TRIANGLE

Last edited by dexter14; 02-07-2015 at 04:51 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 04:47 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Yea, Im sorry but a few blocks of older 2-3 story buildings with some restaurants, bars and a few shops is not a real downtown. Especially when two of those "restaurants" are a Jack in the box and Burger King LOL. Let me know when Santa Ana gets stadiums, arenas, a world famous amusement park, a huge convention center hosting major national events and all the other things it lacks that Anaheim has had for decades and maybe we can talk. Downtown Santa Ana is more comparable to downtown Orange, not even close to what Anaheim has to offer in the Platinum Triangle area. Now back on topic, this is about the ANAHEIM PLATINUM TRIANGLE. Take your Santa Ana talk to your Santa Ana thread
I think the thoughts of the other posters regarding Santa Ana's being a "downtown" have to do with LOCAL PEOPLE WALKING AROUND IN IT, as much or more than what is being offered. Lot of people on foot in this city doing their daily errands, whether they involve going into a one-story building or a ten-story building.

Don't forget that Santa Ana is also the county seat, with courthouse, federal building, and (beside the point) a community college.

There is no one "flavor" of a downtown. Anaheim had a "traditional" downtown at one time but Disneyland and the 5 freeway diminished that. It has been coming back along Anaheim Blvd near city hall and has never really left Lincoln west of there, just more genteel lately. (Yes, I lived downtown for nearly three years and WALKED it often).

But mbell's thoughts are more about the COUNTY having a downtown, whatever else is going on with Santa Ana or Anaheim as cities.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
I think the thoughts of the other posters regarding Santa Ana's being a "downtown" have to do with LOCAL PEOPLE WALKING AROUND IN IT, as much or more than what is being offered.
Ok, thats understandable. However, that is not the definition of a "downtown". Downtown is just a term used to refer to a city's center. Nothing says a downtown must be walkable. The Platinum Triangle is most definitely Anaheim's city center, thus making it a downtown.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:07 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Ok, thats understandable. However, that is not the definition of a "downtown". Downtown is just a term used to refer to a city's center. Nothing says a downtown must be walkable. The Platinum Triangle is most definitely Anaheim's city center, thus making it a downtown.
Well, ok, but the title of this thread is "Platinum Triangle to make Anaheim 'OC's downtown'?"

So it seems that this discussion of "downtowns" is transcending cities now, and is up to the county/regional level.

I am not thinking that the Platinum Triangle is PHYSICALLY the "downtown of OC". For that you would have to go to the Irvine Spectrum, which is pretty much SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE of the county, and has quite a bit going on in terms of employment and entertainment. Why is the drive to and from Irvine such a pain on weekdays during "rush hour"? Lots and lots of people doing their daily routine.

I know when I have interviewed for jobs, I could never leave Irvine out of my calculations if I lived within commuting distance of it (which was always), because so many opportunites are there. This was not true 40 years go, when jobs were still very LA-centric.

Perhaps Platinum Triangle is ENTERTAINMENT/CORPORATELY SPONSORED/BRANDING DOWNTOWN of Orange County, given what you have shared above.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Well, ok, but the title of this thread is "Platinum Triangle to make Anaheim 'OC's downtown'?"

So it seems that this discussion of "downtowns" is transcending cities now, and is up to the county/regional level.

I am not thinking that the Platinum Triangle is PHYSICALLY the "downtown of OC". For that you would have to go to the Irvine Spectrum, which is pretty much SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE of the county, and has quite a bit going on in terms of employment and entertainment. Why is the drive to and from Irvine such a pain on weekdays during "rush hour"? Lots and lots of people doing their daily routine.

I know when I have interviewed for jobs, I could never leave Irvine out of my calculations if I lived within commuting distance of it (which was always), because so many opportunites are there. This was not true 40 years go, when jobs were still very LA-centric.

Perhaps Platinum Triangle is ENTERTAINMENT/CORPORATELY SPONSORED/BRANDING DOWNTOWN of Orange County, given what you have shared above.
Good points. The article was talking about it being OC's downtown. I wonder if we will soon see a time where major cities like Anaheim, SA and Irvine all interconnect with some sort of train system. I know there has been talk of connecting the Platinum Triangle area with a monorail system but many citizens are against it for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County