Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:45 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,259,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
Wherever you live, it's cheaper than another place. So that should tell you something about your place. That's literally your argument.
Yes! You are starting to get it!

If my house in Corona del Mar is only worth $3 million and someone else's is $5 million (assuming you can find buyers at the worth), it means their house is bigger or in a better location or has features that mine doesn't that makes its worth more.

My aunts very lovely house in Santa Ana that is worth about $800k would be just under $2 million in the Port streets in Newport Beach and would be over $3 million on Lido Isle. That is how the marketplace works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 09:50 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,326,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Yeah, if you're white surfer brah and/or a fan of that demographic. Also, if your definition of 'wild and crazy' means the occasional riot caused by middle class punks too bored with their lives to do anything productive.
The riots only happen once a year when the Surfing contests go on for weeks in the summer months.
The wild and crazy is on Friday and Saturday nights along Main Street and the pier.

On a side note, it's almost humorous how the local police used Facebook, Youtube, and other social media to find and arrest those troublemakers who perpetuated the last riot on Main Street.
The cell phone videos and pictures documenting the event were posted online the next day after the carnage happened !

Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 AM

117 posts, read 236,546 times
Fullerton is your best bet for safe neighborhoods, places to run (extensive trails near the court house that go through nice neighborhoods) and cafes in downtown and young crowds.
But don't party too hard and remember to save up. In a few years when you grow up, you will want a place in South OC to raise a family.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 AM

9,810 posts, read 11,048,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsifoes View Post
Fullerton is your best bet for safe neighborhoods, places to run (extensive trails near the court house that go through nice neighborhoods) and cafes in downtown and young crowds.
But don't party too hard and remember to save up. In a few years when you grow up, you will want a place in South OC to raise a family.
South OC is great for many (not just those raising a family) including my own neighbors who are either empty nesters or older childless couples...we got 'em, lots of 'em. Areas like mine are going to grey a lot. I think the family areas in south OC will shift much more to Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo, RSM, and Ladera Ranch.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:25 AM

117 posts, read 236,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I think the family areas in south OC will shift much more to Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo, RSM, and Ladera Ranch.
Because we can't afford Laguna Niguel. LOL

Old 02-19-2015, 10:48 AM

170 posts, read 250,046 times
First tip: Don't call it Cali.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:50 AM

347 posts, read 662,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Yes! You are starting to get it!

If my house in Corona del Mar is only worth $3 million and someone else's is $5 million (assuming you can find buyers at the worth), it means their house is bigger or in a better location or has features that mine doesn't that makes its worth more.

My aunts very lovely house in Santa Ana that is worth about $800k would be just under $2 million in the Port streets in Newport Beach and would be over $3 million on Lido Isle. That is how the marketplace works.
I'm pretty sure everybody is aware of that.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:42 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,470,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsifoes View Post
Very true. Though, honestly, the areas of Fullerton near the 'extensive trails' don't really have much in apartments or 20 somethings. I guess at least it is a short drive. I frequent that area a lot since I am right next door in BP.

Fullerton has solid neighborhoods and great schools, if I could afford to live in those neighborhoods, I see no reason to move down to South OC for great family life. The school district is one of the best in the entire county (and California for that matter), with school's like Troy and Sunny Hills both being top performers and the diversity of North OC can't be matched in the south. Who knows...maybe within the next decade, as these newish south OC towns mature, they will eventually become more attractive to me...but they're not there yet. Right now I really like the geographic advantage that North OC provides. Meaning that on the weekends, I am only 30 mins from DTLA, around 20 to 25 mins from the beach...15 to 20 minutes from central OC and its offerings. Plus just a short distance, over the hills (the Puente Hills), I have the amazing gastronomic world of the SGV (Rowland Heights, Hacienda, Diamond Bar). Damn, I'm rambling now.

Fullerton nabes like this one are idyllic...even for this urbanite:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9002...DLIzkqqs2Q!2e0

Either way, Fullerton does get my vote, BUT good luck finding decent affordable apartments. Like someone else mentioned, if we knew the OP's budget, we would know what we have to work with...but we don't. So there's that. lol

Old 02-19-2015, 01:03 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,512,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
South OC is great for many (not just those raising a family) including my own neighbors who are either empty nesters or older childless couples...we got 'em, lots of 'em. Areas like mine are going to grey a lot. I think the family areas in south OC will shift much more to Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo, RSM, and Ladera Ranch.
Really? I think its the other way around. MV, AV, Dana Point all seem very family oriented. I see lots of families out there, a 20 something year old would be bored to tears. I think of Laguna, Newport Coast and CDM when I think of empty nesters and older childless couples.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:43 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,048,011 times
I am no expert on other cities, but I spend my time in the Dana Point and Laguna Niguel areas and thus feel qualified to speak about both.

Yes you are right that 20 somethings may not find non stop excitement here. I never said it was exciting for young people here.

I think we are saying the same thing. All of the places you mentioned are indeed family friendly and will likely continue to be family oriented. More on Dana Point below. My own town of Laguna Niguel is also well known for being family oriented, and I don't see that orientation changing. What I see; however, is fewer young families moving into my area. My neighborhood is not the only one seeing this change. In discussing it with realtors and others in the city, it is obvious that many familes are being priced out of Laguna Niguel. It is also plainly obvious that businesses are catering more and more to older people. Logic also dictates that fewer young people can afford to move into many areas here with current prices. In my area, I know of 50 somethings who are moving in to formerly "family" homes with the intention of retiring here, childless. Older folks do not seem to want to leave this area since all seem to like the location. Thus Laguna Niguel is changing and it has everything to do with affordability and an aging population. Consider that when this community was built in the 60s, 70s and 80s, it was a middle class area and at that time, middle class wages were enough to buy a home here. I do not think that is the case anymore unless there are two highly paid professionals making high wages or the buyers have a substantial amount of cash.

(No one is paying attention to our dinky town down here, but it is beginning to slowly urbanize. First, there is Laguna Niguel Gateway project which is building a lot of buildings by the metrolink and tearing down the businesses there, and soon, a giant new project to redo our town center complete with a luxury hotel and hopefully a walkable area.)

This pricing out of young families is happening in Dana Point too, and to an extreme degree especially as one gets right by the ocean. There are very few families with young children who can afford those areas. Yes, parts of DP are family friendly especially those interwoven into Laguna Niguel, but much of it is really out of the reach of many families with small children.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-19-2015 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County