Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:42 PM

347 posts, read 666,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaT View Post
community oriented so we can meet people, not too cookie cutter, proximity to commercial life... And ideally flavor of CA beach life (if we're going to do this might as well). We saw Newport Heights and thought that could be an option? Do any families live in apts/condos? Other thoughts? Good school for my younger one is a need as well.
That's the key criteria there. Close to the water, not south county cookie cutter, close to shops/restaurants, and good schools.

You're probably looking at Newport Peninsula at that point although it is a very conservative area. Laguna Beach also fits your criteria but the commute to Santa Ana is tough. Outside of those areas, there isn't one place that fits all of your criteria, it will mean compromising on one or another.

If you want to live really close to the school, you could look into Floral Park which is a very wealthy historical neighborhood and very community oriented but you're far from the beach and the public schools are pretty bad unless you enroll the kiddo in private or get them into one of the fundamental schools within the school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Are you planning on buying, renting for a while and buying or terminal renter. So Cal is a lot of cookie cutter tract homes and apartment buildings.
I can tell you right now that you'll want a car. Walking is fine for some close by entertainment but you're not getting far walking around So Cal. And taking taxis is expensive and public transportation is really lacking imo. It's doable but not fast by any means.

Low end rentals in Newport Beach run 2-2400 for two bedrooms on the low end of the price spectrum . They go up from there

I would seriously plan a week long trip to get your bearings. Drive the rush hour or your typical morning commute to get a idea. I drive all over OC and I and others can give you pretty good idea of time and ways to get wherever.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:04 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
I think Laguna Beach would fit most of your criteria but, as you said, it is far from Santa Ana. Still, it's liberal, coastal, not cookie-cutter and, for a bonus that you did not mention, artsy.

I lived on the UWS for a long time, and this one made me smile because I can identify:
Quote:
(I've never lived without a doorman for perspective)!

It is different not having a doorman, but you adjust.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:35 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
I guess my only ask for people from (any town) moving here is, we like So Cal the way it is. Please try to fit in, you'll like it. Please don't try to make it like (were you just left).

Old 03-04-2015, 08:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaT View Post
Thanks so much for your reply. Orange County HS of the Arts is a US news and world report gold school which makes me comfortable relative to what we are leaving behind - it's a magnet that draws from all over - so I do think that's a near definite. I'm a little worried about all the driving as I'm currently a subway/cab girl and a walker! I know that will be 1 of the biggest adaptations. I like Laguna but based on above think it may be a little too far south for us. Welcome any other thoughts and thank you again!
Decision time. First off ignore Southern Californians on the beach stuff. We lived most of 20 years in the coastal plain and finally reached the conclusion that is not really bright. Better to get a little further back and visit the water. However Irvine is a special case. Really nice place. And if you stay a ways back from the coast a remarkably nice city.

Jews are dispersed throughout the region. Go with the money and the Jewish population will be there.

Give up on the doorman stuff. Does not work in So. CA and in fact works nowhere but Manhattan. My last surviving Aunt has a 3000 SF Victorian on a large lot in Riverdale. She would think a doorman unthinkable. You have any idea what a large lot Victorian costs? Not Central Park East...but close.

I am not sure I would allow an artsy kid to drive my location. Unless the kid is of potential world rank Irvine will do. Send her to the University there as soon as she is old enough and she will likely do better.

I spent 15 years a decade or two ago convincing easterners that their children would not turn into druggie beach bums when they went to S. CA. And they did not. So adopt. Multiple vehicles. Kids drive as soon as able...though I held my three off until they were 18.

Enjoy by the way...middling OC beats the hell out of the best of Manhattan.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:37 PM

347 posts, read 666,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Enjoy by the way...middling OC beats the hell out of the best of Manhattan.
Hahaha not even close! People pay up to $96 million to live in Manhattan. Nothing can compete with Manhattan.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
Hahaha not even close! People pay up to $96 million to live in Manhattan. Nothing can compete with Manhattan.
On the bright side there are no more than a couple of million people dumb enough ti be enamored of Manhattan.

Even though I was born there...you have to be hopelessly perverted to believe it is a great place to live.

Maybe if your yearly income exceeds a million it is a fun place to have a side home. But in reality it is no good for the vast majority who live there.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
That's very subjective. Many of us could live in NYC (or DC) but choose to live here instead. I know that must be shocking to you.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
On the bright side there are no more than a couple of million people dumb enough ti be enamored of Manhattan.

Even though I was born there...you have to be hopelessly perverted to believe it is a great place to live.

Maybe if your yearly income exceeds a million it is a fun place to have a side home. But in reality it is no good for the vast majority who live there.
I am always enamored of Manhattan...for two or three day periods. Thereafter, I am happy to say goodbye to it.

You can survive in NYC on 165-175k if you have lots of equity and can afford to plunk it down on a tiny box. Be prepared to pay huge taxes. Believe me, I know this first hand from other practitioners. You cannot live as others live, but you can survive there. You just have to hustle.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 PM

OP, please consider working with an experienced realtor. I think that you need to drive around and see what fits for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County