Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 AM

35 posts, read 43,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
i guess my only ask for people from (any town) moving here is, we like so cal the way it is. Please try to fit in, you'll like it. Please don't try to make it like (were you just left).
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 02:24 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
I'm an Ex New Yorker. My wife is a Brooklyn Jew. Although I am not Jewish, I was a camp counselor at JCC camps when I was a teenager, I understand and respect the culture and religion...

You are not going to find any semblance of Manhattan in Orange County.
OC is more like Long Island, with nicer weather, palm trees and fewer Jews.

While you wont have to deal with any anti-semitism, you also wont find jewish communities like you would in NY.

There is a Chabad Center in Huntington Beach, and you will see many observant Jews walking on Shabbat and holidays (I tell my wife it looks like they are casting "Fiddler on the Roof" - we are NYers we can take a joke-).

If living in an environment where you can walk to nearby amenities, Laguna Beach may be your best bet.

(and the closest thing you are going to find to NY pizza is LaRoccas in Huntington BEach)

Old 03-09-2015, 08:54 PM

3,269 posts, read 3,930,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
You are not going to find any semblance of Manhattan in Orange County.
Agreed, and that's why we live here.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:05 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Agreed, and that's why we live here.
Touche! You move to OC from Manhattan for a change of lifestyle, not to try and re-create it. If you like where you are so much, stay there. If you want an overcrowded and dirty urban area, try downtown LA.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:21 PM

35 posts, read 43,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Touche! You move to OC from Manhattan for a change of lifestyle, not to try and re-create it. If you like where you are so much, stay there. If you want an overcrowded and dirty urban area, try downtown LA.
Great Comment there MBell! Agree with you 100%.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:

Mbell75 you're not kidding, I was in DTLA area this afternoon doing a job walk. They had security in the parking lot we were parked at and van pooled to the building. Another typical ****hole renovation. I don't even want to do it. I hope we come in way high on bid.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:30 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
That's kind of a silly comment. Downtown LA looks, feels and functions absolutely nothing like Manhattan.

LA County is pretty much the same as Orange County, except a little denser and older. NYC is like another planet from LA.

To the OP, there are no Jewish areas in OC, no really liberal areas, and no real urban, walkable areas. It's really the polar opposite of Manhattan, in almost every way. I have lived in both places, and like both very much, but for different reasons. I am telling you, though, if you expect a West Coast version of NYC, you in for a shock. Realize you are going to opposite-land.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:36 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's kind of a silly comment. Downtown LA looks, feels and functions absolutely nothing like Manhattan.
Did I say that? I said an "overcrowded and dirty urban area". Both LA and Manhattan qualify

Old 03-10-2015, 06:39 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Did I say that? I said an "overcrowded and dirty urban area". Both LA and Manhattan qualify
Wrong again. At least you're consistent.

Downtown LA is very lightly populated, and the furthest thing from "overcrowded". It's pretty empty, actually, for a city center. Much less crowded than the PCH on a summer weekend. Don't think LA is particularly dirty either.

Manhattan is dense, but has the lowest crowding of any of the five NYC boroughs. It's also cleaner than it has ever been, basically at any time in its history.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
I can't believe I'm going to agree with you....LOL. But in this case you're spot on!

OP, you can't always put a great "career opportunity" over the family. Jobs come and go, you're talking about moving two kids across the country, it will be hardest on your teen. Sure the thought of moving to Southern CA may be a little exciting for them, but that could wear off when the reality of the move happens and they're leaving all their friends.

There is more to life than work and more money. If the kids don't like it, and you find your missing many things about NYC, no job or even increase in pay is going to even that out.

And you said you're hoping your oldest gets into the OC High School of Performing Arts, well what happens if they don't?

Sometimes the move you don't make is the best move.

The last thing Southern CA needs is more NY transplants whining about how in NY this better and that is better, sorry, but it's the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County