Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Some good and bad information here. Firstly, I lived in the Palm Springs area for 25 years and it has very little in common with Laguna. Palm Springs is estimated to be 60% gay and I was just there visiting again a few months ago. You can't go anywhere without seeing older gay men, not even the same in Laguna where you see mostly families or younger people. The lifestyle is very different too. Second, saying Anaheim is a democratic city is completely false. Ive lived here for 8 years. Republicans still heavily outweigh Democrats here. Anaheim was just ranked the 7th most conservative big city in the country in a recent study and just a little over a year ago it was ranked as 3rd best in the country.

The most liberal and conservative big cities in America, in one chart - Vox
13 Best U.S. Cities for Conservatives to Live | Estately Blog

I am not sure why the older gays in Palm Springs being there in large numbers is problematic for you or anyone else. Mind you, you didn't say it was a problem, but I wanted to remind you that there are many other places in the Valley for you to hang out in if you don't want to be around old gay guys. Gay guys, on the other hand, have fewer places where they feel safe. Consider that.

By the way, not that anyone raised the issue, but some gays in Laguna Beach are members of the Log Cabin club of the GOP. I think as a whole, many gays have been priced out of Laguna Beach where they were previously seen in large numbers. I remember when there used to be a real thriving gay scene there...now the Boom is closed. You are right that they are much less visible in Laguna Beach than they are in PS, but that's because PS is much cheaper.

In OC, many in our immigrant communities are also registering Republican, and that includes some Hispanics in Anaheim, especially those Hispanics who are not recent immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 01:34 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
My kind of Republican!

Now to convince the folks in the interior of the state and country...
Not going to happen anytime soon. They've been thumped over the head by too many bibles.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
The OP was looking for someplace close to the Orange County School of the Arts in Santa Ana. So, that eliminates Long Beach, which isn't even like NYC. Besides, she has not signed on since 03/04/15.
Well maybe she now realizes how ridiculous it is to try and replicate NYC in Southern CA.

I also wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket hoping your teen gets into the one school in the area, what happens if she doesn't? Staying in NYC gives you more options as there are several high schools that cater to the arts.

If you love where you're living(and the OP does) than don't let a job take you somewhere else, there is more to life than career opportunity.

Last edited by seain dublin; 03-12-2015 at 01:56 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 03:55 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
It's five years old, but the trend it noted is not outdated. Do you have something which shows a reversal in that?
Did you not read my post? I just posted links showing Anaheim ranked as one of the most conservative big cities in the nation and OC home to 3 of the most conservative cities in the state.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:20 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Did you not read my post? I just posted links showing Anaheim ranked as one of the most conservative big cities in the nation and OC home to 3 of the most conservative cities in the state.
I asked about proof of a reversal in the trend discussed by the NY Times.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:50 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Not going to happen anytime soon. They've been thumped over the head by too many bibles.
Actually, my family (all of which are Republican) are regular mass-attending Catholics. We honor the history and inspiration of the Bible, but we don't take it that literally. If you want biblical literalists, best to head to someplace like Bakersfield, or over to Arizona.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:22 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Actually, my family (all of which are Republican) are regular mass-attending Catholics. We honor the history and inspiration of the Bible, but we don't take it that literally. If you want biblical literalists, best to head to someplace like Bakersfield, or over to Arizona.
Yes... This is why my response was to this quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
My kind of Republican!

Now to convince the folks in the interior of the state and country...

Old 03-12-2015, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 5,700 times
I said positive comments please! Goodness! Way to make a potential transplant feel welcome.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:08 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaT View Post
I said positive comments please! Goodness! Way to make a potential transplant feel welcome.
Marisa, ignore the little men behind the curtain. Unfortunately there are those who cannot stay on topic, pontificate endlessly and argue about anything. They're annoying, waste bandwidth but are harmless and can be ignored.

Now back to the subject at hand. One place in OC no one has mentioned yet is the off-shoot of Newport Beach called Corona del Mar. It has lovely homes, great beaches and but for perhaps the City of Orange itself, has a village feel about it. It might be worth checking out.

Disclaimer: Although I was significantly raised on Lido Isle in Newport Beach, the last time I lived there was 1974 when the Army once again sent me elsewhere as it did in 1966. I last visited and set foot in Newport Beach in 1996. I had just remarried and my wife wanted to see my childhood home. We lived in Sacramento. As a consequence I have to admit that my information is dated. To show how dated, I used to herd cattle on land that is now Irvine.

Add to the above that I'm almost 69 and the fact that the memory is the first thing to go and I could be way off-base. In any event, best of luck in your search for a home and enjoy the SoCal experience. I think you're in for a treat.

Pardon my ramblings. I'm old!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 5,700 times
Thank you for your kindness - I appreciate it - and Corona del Mar is definitely an area we'd love to target (though even from a NYer standpoint it is quite pricey). Like the feel though from our 1 visit out there so far. Perhaps you'll come back to visit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County