Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 7,419 times

Advertisements

We are looking to rent a home in South OC. We found a great one but it backs to the train tracks in MV, just between Los Alisos and Alicia Pkwy.

How loud will the train noise be in one of these houses? It was built in 1976. I'm mostly concerned about the noise INSIDE the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 10:28 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Personally, I would never do it no matter how infrequently the train might pass by. If it's a great deal, the location could be the reason.

I would look at other areas in Mission Viejo.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 AM

56 posts, read 104,248 times
The house we rent, backs to the train tracks in Lake Forest (we live off of Jeronimo). The trains are Metrolink and Amtrak, and they pass several times during the day. I can best compare the noise to a fast moving bus going by. I have completely gotten used to it and it does not bother our family. Actually, I barely notice anymore.

With that being said, there are about two or three freight trains that pass every evening and sometimes in the middle of the night. Those trains are very loud and can be heard from inside the home. If the home you are considering does not have dual pane windows, the noise level will be even louder.

We had our concerns as well, but ultimately, we decided that living in a single-family home in a nice, safe neighborhood for a decent price was worth the noise level. Most of our neighbors have lived here for over twenty years and they have all said the same thing about getting used to the trains.

Best wishes with your choice!

Old 03-04-2015, 11:59 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
You get used to it very quickly and then you barely notice it.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:37 PM

6 posts, read 7,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Personally, I would never do it no matter how infrequently the train might pass by. If it's a great deal, the location could be the reason.

I would look at other areas in Mission Viejo.
It's actually not so much a great "deal"... It is just a great house, floorplan, and location for the schools we like in the area. It's one of the more expensive rentals in the area, to be honest, although still well within our budget.

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess it would be best to go see the home and stick around long enough to hear some trains go by.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:23 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
If you have to ask, I wouldn't do it.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:08 PM

823 posts, read 1,783,703 times
I know, you've only asked about the noise, which I know I would get used to. For me, I would not be able to get past the probably minute chance of a train de-trailing. Many people have lived along the tracks without any problems, but what if something did happen? I am too chicken

Old 03-04-2015, 02:21 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brergnat View Post
It's actually not so much a great "deal"... It is just a great house, floorplan, and location for the schools we like in the area. It's one of the more expensive rentals in the area, to be honest, although still well within our budget.

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess it would be best to go see the home and stick around long enough to hear some trains go by.
I would not even want to live in an expensive and great house in such a location, but that's just me.

Obviously, people do it all the time so, as you said, you'll just have to check it out to see if it suits you.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:43 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
The Metro link trains stop after a certain time of day. The Amtrak train schedule is pretty light after certain hours.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
With my insomnia hell no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County