Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 06:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It gets worse slower. Build Apts, etc and it gets worse faster. Try and build trains, etc it doesn't help. The key, drive the prices so high fewer people move to OC and, ...... it stabilizes.
That is happening. Rent In Southern California Skyrockets, Especially In Orange County « CBS Los Angeles

Rent in Orange County hits all-time highs after rising for at least 4 years.

You need to earn $62,000 a year for an OC studio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 08:42 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
They could finish the 241, for one.
This is the typical backwards OC mentality I was referring to. Still stuck in outdated ideas that more and wider freeways will "solve" congestion issues.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
It gets worse slower. Build Apts, etc and it gets worse faster. Try and build trains, etc it doesn't help. The key, drive the prices so high fewer people move to OC and, ...... it stabilizes.
No it doesn't. You just push people farther out to where it's cheaper forcing people to commute farther while worsening congestion and pollution. You're basically just making your current situation worse. I guess that must be that "OC urban/transportation planning logic" there lol.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:11 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Tourism is getting bigger in Orange County. OC has created a lot of jobs, but some of them (I can't look-up the breakdown right now) are in the low-paying service sector.

With the high cost of housing here, many new hires are forced to commute into OC from LA/IE/SD, further clogging the freeways. I don't blame them, 'cause you gotta eat, and OCers also obviously rely upon service workers beyond the leisure sector.

6 reasons why O.C. is a tourist town - The Orange County Register
Through all the ups and downs since 2000, Orange County employers added a net 182,000 workers while just 114,000 more locals said they’ve gotten a job. That 68,000-job gap helps explain crowded rentals and congested freeways.

Orange County’s evolution from a bedroom community to employment hub comes with a steep price for those working traditionally lower-wage jobs offered in industries such as leisure and hospitality.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:06 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No it doesn't. You just push people farther out to where it's cheaper forcing people to commute farther while worsening congestion and pollution. You're basically just making your current situation worse. I guess that must be that "OC urban/transportation planning logic" there lol.
Not really as if the drive is too long they will look for work closer to where they live. The people being pushed out are not the ones that are with good paying jobs/businesses in OC that do not exist elsewhere. McDonald's is everywhere.

Look how few people are moving into OC now, that have low paying jobs. They can't afford the rent. Oh and even those commuting reduce day time traffic and weekend traffic in OC to a degree as they shop and such, where they live. Of course the weekend traffic on good beach days is ..... well really, really bad. There is no transportation fix, other than fewer people. Too spread out for any municipal type transportation that would help any at all.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:27 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
This is the typical backwards OC mentality I was referring to. Still stuck in outdated ideas that more and wider freeways will "solve" congestion issues.
Well no, the backwards mentality was approving thousands and thousands of new homes on the eastern edge of the county, as well as a freeway, in a deserted, beautiful area, then having the freeway stopped by out of town attorneys and special interest groups for decades.

In other states, they would designate that section of the 241 as a scenic highway and put some politician's name on it, so millions could enjoy the state's natural beauty on their drive.

But no, instead of moving forward with the transportation plan for that area of the county, it is stopped, leaving some families with only one way out in case of wildfires, in that high fire danger area.

At least the Antonio/La Pata route was finished - very good news for those neighborhoods!

Old 10-24-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Not really as if the drive is too long they will look for work closer to where they live. The people being pushed out are not the ones that are with good paying jobs/businesses in OC that do not exist elsewhere. McDonald's is everywhere.

Look how few people are moving into OC now, that have low paying jobs. They can't afford the rent. Oh and even those commuting reduce day time traffic and weekend traffic in OC to a degree as they shop and such, where they live. Of course the weekend traffic on good beach days is ..... well really, really bad. There is no transportation fix, other than fewer people. Too spread out for any municipal type transportation that would help any at all.
Not if there aren't any good jobs. This is the current reality where you have tens of thousands of people commuting from the IE to OC as it is so I'm not sure why you think that high prices are somehow keeping people from commuting into OC. Whatever argument/logic you came up in your head simply isn't reality. High prices just pushes commuters farther out and doesn't reduce traffic, that is the case in every large metro area across the nation and LA/OC/IE is no different.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:01 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Not if there aren't any good jobs. This is the current reality where you have tens of thousands of people commuting from the IE to OC as it is so I'm not sure why you think that high prices are somehow keeping people from commuting into OC. Whatever argument/logic you came up in your head simply isn't reality. High prices just pushes commuters farther out and doesn't reduce traffic, that is the case in every large metro area across the nation and LA/OC/IE is no different.
There are good jobs in OC.

Quote:

People choose to move to the IE not just because it is cheap, but because it offers larger SFRs on single lots, something that is desirable to many. Some of those who commute have somewhat decent jobs, at least my some standards. Some likely have good jobs too.

3 tales of housing woes: What do you do when Orange County is too pricey? - The Orange County Register

Dave Miller leaves work in his gold, GMC Sierra in mid-afternoon, loaded up with Arizona iced tea and sesame seeds. He tunes the radio to 95.5 F.M. KLOS, classic rock.

An auto maintenance supervisor in Garden Grove, Miller lives in Moreno Valley. On a bad day – a Friday – the drive home takes three hours.

The roughly 120-mile round-trip commute is a trade-off. Miller and his wife, Gigi, a hairstylist, bought their 2,000-square-foot, four-bedroom house with a three-car garage last year.

The price: $285,000.

“In Orange County, I couldn’t have half of what I have,” said Miller, 49.

Indeed, the Millers paid less than half of Orange County’s latest median home sale price, which hit a record high $651,500 in May, according to data firm CoreLogic. Riverside County’s median was $330,000, and the six-county Southern California region reached $459,500.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:26 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
A relative of mine is selling their house in OC and buying a house for cash that's being built in Riverside. They're planning ahead for retirement but I don't think they'll commute to OC. The 91 is a nightmare.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
There are good jobs in OC.
I know, that was kind of the whole point of my post; people commuting from the IE to OC for good jobs. expatCA seems to think people can just find good jobs wherever they live. Also seems to think the only people priced out of OC work at McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County