Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 04:02 PM

121 posts, read 183,623 times

Advertisements

As previous posters have said, in this area if you want that kind of lot size take a look at Coto, San Juan Capistrano, and Nellie Gail. Just took a quick look, and the top of your price range is right where you're starting to see some half acre lots.

Coto's houses are generally newer, and also has 2 pretty amazing golf courses. However, it is the furthest inland out of the 3. Getting to the beach from Coto will take at least half an hour.

I think it boils down to how important lot size vs. location is for you. If you want to be closer to the water, there are beach cities where you can get a 3500 sq. feet, 4+ br, 3+ bath in your price range, just not on that size of lot.

If you spend a day down here checking out Coto, I think at least taking a drive through the rest of South OC, especially the beach cities, would be worth it just to get a feel for it.

Edit: Anaheim Hills is another place that has nice homes on large lots up in North OC.

Last edited by OCerik; 03-10-2015 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 PM

52 posts, read 92,145 times
Great info. I appreciate it. I think I know what my plan of attack will be, get ready-east coast invasion coming, I'm sure I'm not the first or the last!

Old 03-10-2015, 05:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
You can rest assured that OC has seen a few East Coasters here and there.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:52 PM

I checked out some of those homes w views in Laguna Hills, whoaa. That's insane. Yeah, maybe the kids might be cool walking to the park for a game....

Old 03-10-2015, 05:56 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
You can rest assured that OC has seen a few East Coasters here and there.
I'm one of them, but I take the Fifth.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:03 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95whipstick View Post
I checked out some of those homes w views in Laguna Hills, whoaa. That's insane. Yeah, maybe the kids might be cool walking to the park for a game....
Drive around South County and you might find some relative bargains like this inland, but coastal-close, $1.599M Aliso Viejo home (now under contract) with a view:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viej...6/home/5773177

Old 03-10-2015, 06:15 PM

This is obviously a great home that fits my criteria; good to know there is some beach oriented properties in our range.

Last edited by 95whipstick; 03-10-2015 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 PM

298 posts, read 627,846 times
It sounds like you are on the right track as far as areas in South Orange County. I agree with others that if you accept the job in Woodland Hills, Orange County would be too far. Agoura Hills is very nice and reminds me somehow of OC but a little older. It's not too far from Malibu. Just a thought.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:28 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
It sounds like you are on the right track as far as areas in South Orange County. I agree with others that if you accept the job in Woodland Hills, Orange County would be too far. Agoura Hills is very nice and reminds me somehow of OC but a little older. It's not too far from Malibu. Just a thought.
Agreed that Agoura Hills is nice!

Old 03-10-2015, 10:24 PM

65 posts, read 105,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95whipstick View Post
LuvSouthOC- yes my budget got mixed up with square feet by another poster- abbreviated sf. Our budget is $1,600,000. Also, though we are on 6 acres now, I think half an acre would be fine in So Cal if it was level. I have big concerns about being on the side of a hill with mudslides earthquakes fires etc etc. I posted in the Ventura forum and was hoping to get some more info on Westlake. My wife is leaning towards OC, I was leaning more towards Ventura due to potential job- which is not that important to where we live since I am quasi retired. Good to know it is less developed there as I thought. I have only been to Malibu, Palisades, Santa Cruz and LA. Since I can only get out there for three days, trying to narrow it down. Coto de Caza strikes me as having some nice homes, maybe less culture and off the beaten track. Irvine also tempting, but can you find a half an acre? Newport Beach and Dana Point seem $3mm plus and Laguna Hills seems hilly- maybe like Augora Hills. Great problems to have...
If you want half an acre, with a large house, but a level lot, look in Villa Park. Fits the bill--1/2 acre lots are standard, you can get 3500+ sq ft within a budget of 1.6M. The villa park schools are highly rated, though not quite as highly rated as Irvine. Also, look into Orange Park Acres--big estate homes, acreage (many parts are zoned equestrian), and a part of Anaheim Hills called Peralta Hills (again, large custom estate homes, many on 1 acre parcels, and not actually all that hilly).

Forget about 1/2 an acre in Irvine within a budget of 1.6 million. To get that size lot, you'd have to go custom lots in Shady Canyon, which are probably $5 million and up.

Last edited by glowinthedark; 03-10-2015 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: Also, look in Orange Park Acres. Big estate homes, acreage. Many parts are zoned equestrian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County