Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:20 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a recruiting position in Irvine and it would pay $30,000 to $35,000 a year plus commission. I would plan on living as close to work as possible. The job would be near John Wayne airport. Is that income for a single person with no debt do-able? Is it possible to find a room for rent in a studio or with room mates for $700 a month?

Thanks for the insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 10:32 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
With roommates, maybe. Alone in a studio, no way.

Back in 1996, my husband and I rented a 1-bedroom apartment in that general area (Lake Forest) for $775. Since then, rents have about doubled. Sad to say.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:32 AM

For having my own room in Irvine would that be possible?

Old 03-11-2015, 10:46 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
No. I paid $700 to rent a room (shared bathroom) in a decent area of Santa Ana. This was 3 years ago. I don't see, unless you get really really lucky, how you would get anything in Irvine for that price.

If the job is near John Wayne, you have other options like Costa Mesa, Santa Ana (near South Coast Plaza is decent), and even Tustin/Orange if you don't mind a commute down the 55. If you INSIST on Irvine, be prepared to SHARE a room.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:36 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
Quote:
If by "your own room" you mean as part of a 3 or 4 bedroom house, maybe in Irvine, but probably yes in the surrounding areas.

$70K is barely livable for someone living on their own in the nicer cities in the Irvine/Newport area.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:45 PM

So how far would Costa Mesa and Santa Ana be from the John Wayne aiport area? Which would be closest?

Old 03-11-2015, 12:54 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
So how far would Costa Mesa and Santa Ana be from the John Wayne aiport area? Which would be closest?
Google?

Old 03-11-2015, 12:56 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I'm not sure if John Wayne Airport is in Santa Ana or Costa Mesa, strictly speaking. They're both that close, adjoining the airport. In fact, the airport is abbreviated SNA for Santa Ana.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:21 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
Quote:
First, I recommend you put John Wayne Airport on your search engine and click on Google maps. Zoom out a little, and then look at the surrounding area. While keeping your map centered on John Wayne Aiport, put in Santa Ana on your map search. It will show you the Santa Ana city boundaries. Clear and repeat this for Irvine, Costa Mesa and Newport. What you should see is that John Wayne Airport is bordered by all four cities (though, I believe, technically within Irvine), with Santa Ana to its North, Irvine to its Northeast, Newport Beach to its Southeast and Costa Mesa to its West and Southwest.

Of those cities, Irvine and Newport Beach are out of your price ranges for the living arrangements you are seeking. Santa Ana and Costa Mesa will be more favorable. For Santa Ana, stick to near the South Coast area. For Costa Mesa, I would ask around. I don't not much about the city itself, but from what I read here on City-Data there appears to be dramatic differences in neighborhoods (from really expensive, luxury real estate, to low-end cram Santa Ana style apartments). I find Costa Mesa to be really attractive in that it has lots of great bars, restaurants, and eclectic areas like the OC Mart Mix (where the original Portola Coffee Lab is located <3), the Lab Anti-Mall, The Camp etc (and Ikea! lol). Also, when I visit its bars I tend to run into an unusual amount of internationals (most likely due to the airport itself), which makes it an extra fun experience.

Another option just up the freeway, is Fountain Valley. Though, again, I don't know much about that city and how it compares to others OC in terms of affordability and QOL.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:22 PM

This is the address:

18818 Teller Avenue, Irvine, CA 92612

On a map it looks like Costa Mesa is closer. It looks like on a map from Santa Ana that I'd have to get on the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County