Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:20 AM

15 posts, read 37,549 times

Advertisements

why would you consider leaving a country that has FREE health care? another thing is that people seem to mention good schooling here. while true, it comes at a high cost. i hear this is not so in canada. my husband (who is canadian) and i currenty live in los angeles and we are seriously considering moving to toronto. i think you will find that there are a lot of nice things about so cal, but in the end the extremely high cost of living here is not worth it. even the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 01:17 AM

3 posts, read 15,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine2006 View Post
We are thinking of moving from Toronto to Irvine. When I read the stuff about the traffic, air quality, house prices, etc....I wonder if its the right thing to do.

Toronto is a great city and the only thing I don't like is the long winter. I am just not sure after reading all the comments, if there is enough attraction to moving to Irvine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, we are kind of in limbo right now!
I also have a 3 year old daugther, so schools and quality of life for children is also important.
Irvine is a very nice city. You will love the weather. The city is kept very clean and crime free. You will be close to all the nice beaches. i.e. Laguna- Newport... Just to name a few. I have been in California all my life. Recently I met a girl that lives in Toronto. I visited Toronto this past January and loved it!!! Now I want to move. I want to start renting and eventually buy home. I need to find a job first. I run a very successful Insurance business in Los Angeles. Do you have any idea of the Insurance Business in Toronto? I specialize in Commercial Insurance & Workmen Compensation coverage. Thank you for your response

Old 09-25-2007, 01:52 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut35 View Post
why would you consider leaving a country that has FREE health care?
Free huh? How's that work?

Old 09-25-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Free huh? How's that work?
Universal Health Care provided by the government. Same as it is in Europe. Your taxes pay for it. This is one reason (among others) my husband and I are considering moving to Canada.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:46 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut35 View Post
Universal Health Care provided by the government. Same as it is in Europe. Your taxes pay for it. This is one reason (among others) my husband and I are considering moving to Canada.
That doesn't sound free. That's like saying I get to live in my house for free after I pay the bank every month.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That doesn't sound free. That's like saying I get to live in my house for free after I pay the bank every month.
umm, yeah. not quite. but whatever you say... it would seem free to me since i pay lots of taxes here and don't get ANY health benefits!

i suppose you haven't heard that the number one cause of bankruptcy in the U.S is due to healthcare bills. what if you or someone you knew came down with a serious illness and couldn't afford the $200K it might cost for surgery, drugs, etc...? guess you could take out a second mortgage for that

Old 09-25-2007, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 15,151 times
We live in Irvine now and are looking to get out only because we want more space in terms of property. It is a nice community. If you like homeowner's associations and schools that have high expectations, this city is for you. There is no attraction to Irvine in terms of night life but if your raising a family it is safe and clean. You will be paying over 800,000 for a decent sized house. Try Lake Forest or Mission Viejo also. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:42 PM

264 posts, read 397,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine2006 View Post
We are thinking of moving from Toronto to Irvine. When I read the stuff about the traffic, air quality, house prices, etc....I wonder if its the right thing to do.

Toronto is a great city and the only thing I don't like is the long winter. I am just not sure after reading all the comments, if there is enough attraction to moving to Irvine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, we are kind of in limbo right now!
I also have a 3 year old daugther, so schools and quality of life for children is also important.
The attraction is the weather. That's free...everything else is waay expensive.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:25 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I live in Los Angeles, I don't go down to irvine alot, but went down today.

Went to South Coast plaza, Bella Terra (hunington beach mall) and then to Knotts Berry Farm.

I like the layout of Irvine vs LA...the streets are alot wider, things aren't as packed in. Compare La Cienega to Beach Blvd or something.

I agree though about the "plastic", "Sterile city" commments. It tries to be a very, very, very ideal type of utopia/suburbia..the manicured lawns, the lifestyle malls, but its almost too plastic and perfect.

With the 3rd street promenade, thats commercialized, but you've got some life to it. Bella Terra, I imagine some people threw up seeing it...it looks like it came out of a cartoon.

Although, in all, the south bay/oc is a very nice area. Very modern, clean, state of the art.

I was in toronto about 10 years (saw buffalo, niagara falls and then drove to toronto for the day). It looked like a very cosmopolitan city (like san francisco, or vancuver). Irvine is more suburbia than sophisticated.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 AM

15 posts, read 61,729 times
If you're seriously thinking of moving from Toronto to OC, I have one word of advice for you: don't. Toronto is one of the nicest cities on the planet, and OC is the most over-crowded, over-rated places I've ever had the misfortune of living in. Thankfully I'm leaving in 2 weeks. Yes, the weather is great, and the scenery quite beautiful, but you're going from an area with very nice people to one over populated with obnoxious phoneys. If you think driving in Toronto is bad (I have a few memories from way back being stuck on the QEW and the 401), you haven't seen anything until you've driven in SoCal. Aggressive and rude are the two main understatements that come to mind.

Irvine is certainly safe and clean, and not bad to live in if you like police states. They will regulate EVERYTHING you do as a homeowner. If you plan on living in Newport Beach or Laguna Beach, hopefully you are independently wealthy or plan to knock off a Scotiabank branch before coming out here.

Please do yourself a favour: rethink this idea big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County