Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Right now we rent in San Diego a type of home that's called a "detached condo" and I was wondering how common this in the Irvine/South OC area. Basically, it's like a townhouse on the inside but has no attached walls except for the back porch. We like newer construction with no attached walls, but we don't need more than 2 bedrooms (3 max) and true SFHs seem to be larger than we need. This sort of place has suited us well very well.

There's a possibility that we might be relocating to the Irvine area, and I'm trying to get an idea of what's available early on. I've used several RE search sites, as well as Craigslist, and I'm finding it's sort of hard to locate this type of home.

We're taking a weekend trip soon and wanted to look at some specific areas. We like Irvine, and it would be close to one our workplaces (if that works out), but we're open to other areas. We don't have kids so no concerns with school districts. We'd like to keep our rental budget around $2500 but could probably go up to $3000 if needed.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 06:17 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
There are some detached condos in Aliso Viejo. This one is listed as "sold" on Redfin.com, and as "for rent" @ $2400/month on Realtor.com. So maybe it was purchased as an investment property.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viej...6/home/5298302

You might want to check those sites.

Here's another example of a detached condo (for sale) in Aliso:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viej...6/home/5741888

Old 04-07-2015, 06:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
It is hard. Usually condos and townhomes are shared walls. Irvine is SFR condos townhomes and apartment homes ( nice way to say apartments) I've done a lot of residential in irvine and I never saw that type of condo you describe. Doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:02 PM

65 posts, read 105,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Hi everyone,

Right now we rent in San Diego a type of home that's called a "detached condo" and I was wondering how common this in the Irvine/South OC area. Basically, it's like a townhouse on the inside but has no attached walls except for the back porch. We like newer construction with no attached walls, but we don't need more than 2 bedrooms (3 max) and true SFHs seem to be larger than we need. This sort of place has suited us well very well.

There's a possibility that we might be relocating to the Irvine area, and I'm trying to get an idea of what's available early on. I've used several RE search sites, as well as Craigslist, and I'm finding it's sort of hard to locate this type of home.

We're taking a weekend trip soon and wanted to look at some specific areas. We like Irvine, and it would be close to one our workplaces (if that works out), but we're open to other areas. We don't have kids so no concerns with school districts. We'd like to keep our rental budget around $2500 but could probably go up to $3000 if needed.

Thanks in advance!
There are plenty of detached condos in Irvine--check out for example Woodbury, Stonegate, Portola Springs. They tend to range from 3-4 bedrooms, no attached walls at all. The difference between them and true single family house is generally the lack of your own yard (though will have a private side yard or patio), and also tend not have their own driveway (garage with alley access in the back). Also the HOA will cover exterior and front landscaping, except for the portion that is behind the wall of your sideyard) You could probably find a 3BR detached condo starting at around $3000 in Irvine, depending on size and upgrades/age. I think the 2BR products do tend to be attached.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:54 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinthedark View Post
There are plenty of detached condos in Irvine--check out for example Woodbury, Stonegate, Portola Springs. They tend to range from 3-4 bedrooms, no attached walls at all. The difference between them and true single family house is generally the lack of your own yard (though will have a private side yard or patio), and also tend not have their own driveway (garage with alley access in the back). Also the HOA will cover exterior and front landscaping, except for the portion that is behind the wall of your sideyard) You could probably find a 3BR detached condo starting at around $3000 in Irvine, depending on size and upgrades/age. I think the 2BR products do tend to be attached.
Thanks so much for the information!

What your describing is exactly what we're looking for -- where we currently live has no real yard to speak of, and one big "driveway" with the different garages facing each other.

It's not so much that we want something that's considered a condo, it's just that we're kind of sensitive to attached walls, yet we don't need tons and tons of space for just the two of us.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
There are some very small homes in Beacon Hill in Laguna Niguel with very very small lots. They are detached and always sell overnight. I think they run in the mid 600s.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...20-04265?row=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County