Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:17 AM

61 posts, read 80,566 times

Advertisements

Do you feel that OC's relative conservatism makes a difference in day to day living? I'm a moderate republican born and raised in Brentwood in West LA and it can be kind of stifling. I've spent much time in OC and it's beautiful but haven't lived there.

Do you feel a cultural difference in Orange County as opposed to more liberal areas like LA? I cannot quantify what I am saying but I will describe it this way: demographically and housing wise there isn't much difference between the parts of the San Fernando Valley below Ventura Blvd and affluent parts of Phoenix like Scottsdale besides the weather, however the vibe is very different and more favorable to someone like me. I love CA but this aspect of the culture is pushing me away, should I consider OC before leaving? Does the county line make a difference. I am a masters degree educated, interracial (white/Asian) single woman in my late 20s.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:15 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,486 times
Maybe you are being too sensitive about what people think.
As you get older, you'll find that it doesn't really matter.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:43 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,936,009 times
As an ultra right-wing Republican gun owning Jew, I say, live and let live. Life is what you make of it. The best thing about OC is The Boiling Crab !!!

Me love it long time

Old 05-08-2015, 08:27 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
If you are being serious OP, yes, you should consider OC but not because it is perceived (incorrectly I think) as a true Republican haven. I enjoy the fact that OC is financially disciplined, my town especially, and I don't want it any other way. I also like the emphasis on law enforcement. However, I could do without the overt religiousity, but I know that that exists all over this country and will never end with the continuing large scale immigration from the developing world.

And anyway, the so-called left in this country likewise use religion for immigration, taxes, climate change, austerity, etc.

If there is one thing I detest about America, it's the use of "Jesus would approve/disapprove" these [fill in the blank, e.g. budget cuts].

If the Republicans in the US finally become like the Tories in the UK -- then -- you'd have me as a donor. But as long as there are Huckabee and Cruzes preaching as they speak, it turns me off tremendously. I don't care about what nonexistent diety one believes in, but one ought to know to keep it private and not let it impinge on public policy.

I don't expect people here to be aware of politics abroad, as I am, but the American electorate seems less sophisticated, and that too is a problem.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 05-08-2015 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 09:41 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,276,441 times
Honestly other than Dana Rorabacher being in office for the last 100 years, I don't overtly see too much conservatism...but its there.

Even though I'm in North OC most of the time people here are religious, family oriented and have a bit of a libertarian streak.

I think South County magnifies that.

Huntington Beach has had sections of extreme conservatism (skinheads, etc.) but I don't know how prevalent that is today. I know its still pretty "bro" but I think that's dwindling.

As a moderate liberal, I don't know what's worse: The boho hippies of Malibu, or the faux boho libertarians of South County.

All of that being said, I wouldn't necessarily turn down a chance to live in a beach house in either say, Sunset Beach, or somewhere in Newport/Laguna. I think I'd be able to deal with a few conservatives.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:45 AM

61 posts, read 80,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
If you are being serious OP, yes, you should consider OC but not because it is perceived (incorrectly I think) as a true Republican haven. I enjoy the fact that OC is financially disciplined, my town especially, and I don't want it any other way. I also like the emphasis on law enforcement. However, I could do without the overt religiousity, but I know that that exists all over this country and will never end with the continuing large scale immigration from the developing world.

And anyway, the so-called left in this country likewise use religion for immigration, taxes, climate change, austerity, etc.

If there is one thing I detest about America, it's the use of "Jesus would approve/disapprove" these [fill in the blank, e.g. budget cuts].

If the Republicans in the US finally become like the Tories in the UK -- then -- you'd have me as a donor. But as long as there are Huckabee and Cruzes preaching as they speak, it turns me off tremendously. I don't care about what nonexistent diety one believes in, but one ought to know to keep it private and not let it impinge on public policy.

I don't expect people here to be aware of politics abroad, as I am, but the American electorate seems less sophisticated, and that too is a problem.
Thank you. I'm not religious, I am Christian and somewhat believe but that isn't something on the forefront of my life. I am a fiscal conservative, just a normal working person sick of my money being wasted, I am angry at my mayor and board of supervisors speaking of illegals as immigrants, which IMO is like calling a squatter a homeowner. And mostly I am sick of being called a bigot or a teabagger for having these views. I love California, this is my home and there is nothing else like it..but I am a disillusioned young person at a transitional crossroads. I wouldn't expect to find anything wildly different..Long Beach and Seal Beach is separated by an imaginary line and we are still in the state of California of course, I would just like to be around more like minded and moderate people, I would like my vote to count and my taxes to fund a school system that actually teaches and a police force that serves and protects its tax payers before its itenerant homeless.

I recently lost both my parents within 9 months of each other, their gift to me was a house in Brentwood which has appreciated enough that if I play my cards right, I can purchase a home anywhere free and clear and have lifetime security and homeowner status, something not many folks my age (27) can say. I am considering everywhere from Phoenix to Northwestern Arkansas to Charlotte North Carolina, but I am a Californian and always will be and would love to stay.

I don't know you or anything about you, but if you represent the majority of viewpoints in Orange County, I would be happy there.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:56 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape from Los Angeles View Post
I am considering everywhere from Phoenix to Northwestern Arkansas to Charlotte North Carolina, but I am a Californian and always will be and would love to stay.
Move to Arkansas or NC and you'll see a whole new meaning of "Right-wing Republicans". And I don't mean that in a good way.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Quote:
Do you feel that OC's relative conservatism makes a difference in day to day living? I'm a moderate republican born and raised in Brentwood in West LA and it can be kind of stifling. I've spent much time in OC and it's beautiful but haven't lived there.

Do you feel a cultural difference in Orange County as opposed to more liberal areas like LA? I cannot quantify what I am saying but I will describe it this way: demographically and housing wise there isn't much difference between the parts of the San Fernando Valley below Ventura Blvd and affluent parts of Phoenix like Scottsdale besides the weather, however the vibe is very different and more favorable to someone like me. I love CA but this aspect of the culture is pushing me away, should I consider OC before leaving? Does the county line make a difference. I am a masters degree educated, interracial (white/Asian) single woman in my late 20s.
We have nicer and better kept freeways, but that's about the only difference.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:05 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post

The thread wasn't asking for you to insult conservatives, religious people, and Americans in general. Good Lord, that has nothing to do with his question.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:25 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
Quote:
Thank you. I'm not religious, I am Christian and somewhat believe but that isn't something on the forefront of my life. I am a fiscal conservative, just a normal working person sick of my money being wasted, I am angry at my mayor and board of supervisors speaking of illegals as immigrants, which IMO is like calling a squatter a homeowner. And mostly I am sick of being called a bigot or a teabagger for having these views. I love California, this is my home and there is nothing else like it..but I am a disillusioned young person at a transitional crossroads. I wouldn't expect to find anything wildly different..Long Beach and Seal Beach is separated by an imaginary line and we are still in the state of California of course, I would just like to be around more like minded and moderate people, I would like my vote to count and my taxes to fund a school system that actually teaches and a police force that serves and protects its tax payers before its itenerant homeless.

I recently lost both my parents within 9 months of each other, their gift to me was a house in Brentwood which has appreciated enough that if I play my cards right, I can purchase a home anywhere free and clear and have lifetime security and homeowner status, something not many folks my age (27) can say. I am considering everywhere from Phoenix to Northwestern Arkansas to Charlotte North Carolina, but I am a Californian and always will be and would love to stay.

I don't know you or anything about you, but if you represent the majority of viewpoints in Orange County, I would be happy there.
Although OC is no longer the Republican stronghold it used to be, its still fairly conservative overall and even more so based on area. OC has voted Republican in every Gubernatorial and Presidential election since 1978. Anaheim was just ranked as the 6th most conservative big city in the US. However, "conservative" in Anaheim would be considered moderate and even slightly liberal compared to conservatives elsewhere in the country. Your best bet is the 48th congressional district which stretches the OC coast from Seal beach to Dana point. It is heavily Republican. The only time any election for Senator, Governor or President swung Democratic there was Obama in 2008, and even then it was 49% to 48%. Every other election in that district has gone heavily Republican.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County