Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:05 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times

Advertisements

I am glad Haggen's isn't coming to my neighborhood. A scaled down Whole Foods I don't need. The District is right down the street so there's Whole Foods.

Tustin Ranch has Ansar Gallery, Sprouts, plenty of diverse choices.

Whether I am in CM or TR Target sells food. Stater Bros is kinda dated and gritty but it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:04 PM

378 posts, read 760,528 times
I don't think they bought all Albertsons...I heard Albertsons merged with Safeway, and they sold off some of the stores to Haggen. The Trabuco Canyon Albertsons became a Haggens last month. I think it depends on the area they're in as to whether they'll do well.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I am glad Haggen's isn't coming to my neighborhood. A scaled down Whole Foods I don't need. The District is right down the street so there's Whole Foods.

Tustin Ranch has Ansar Gallery, Sprouts, plenty of diverse choices.

Whether I am in CM or TR Target sells food. Stater Bros is kinda dated and gritty but it works.
I used to go to Ansar Gallery in TR, but now that we have Wholesome Choice in Laguna Niguel, I don't go any longer. Ansar Gallery was decent for those of us who like Persian food, and certainly has amazing prices on produce. However, much of Ansar seemed a bit lower-tiered and thus I when I went there, it was only for produce and a few other select Persian goodies.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:46 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I used to go to Ansar Gallery in TR, but now that we have Wholesome Choice in Laguna Niguel, I don't go any longer. Ansar Gallery was decent for those of us who like Persian food, and certainly has amazing prices on produce. However, much of Ansar seemed a bit lower-tiered and thus I when I went there, it was only for produce and a few other select Persian goodies.
The store, yes is no frills, and a bit cheesy with their car giveaways............I just like their ethnic selection.

Will check out WC thanks for the tip.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:51 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
Heard that the Haggen in the old South Aliso Beach locale was still carrying Albertson's products well after the conversion. Glad Pavillion's still has their newer North Laguna store; it's nice to actually have so many parking spaces in that area.

Last edited by Scott5280; 04-22-2015 at 10:00 PM..

Old 05-16-2015, 10:15 PM

I went to the Haggen here in Laguna Niguel.

Preliminary thoughts:

Who was the person stupid enough to pick our Vons as a place to put a store? Vons knew how this would end. We are in a super saturated market. Across the street is an Albertsons. Down the road is a Gelsons. Close by is Whole Foods, Sprouts and Wholesome Choice. We have a Ralphs down the street too. Trader Joes is not far. To survive, Haggen needed to really stand out. It doesn't.

Observations:

Nearly no one in the store.
Priced pretty much like Ralphs.
The staff was friendly.
The deli is hu hum, like a very scaled down Wegman's if anyone knows that store.
The fish prices were high ($25 for sea bass) and since there is no turn over, I won't get anywhere near it.
The pastries are attractive, but Wholesome Choice is nicer IMO.
The veggies section was ok, attractive, but nothing that can draw me from Sprouts.
I couldn't find things I need that I buy from WF like unbleached and unenriched flour.
There were some healthy choices I find in Sprouts (e.g. El Tortilla organic tortillas made with unbleached and unenriched flour, etc.), but the store didn't come accross as a serious competitor to Whole Foods or Sprouts to me.
No good vitamin/supplement section.
No good cheeses.
A boooring wine section. Hello, we have Whole Foods, Trader Joes, two Costcos in town, and a Bevmo down the street. Really now?

Haggen seems to only be a competitor to Ralphs, a store that seems to just be hanging in there itself.

This will end badly since people in OC are careful with their money.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 05-16-2015 at 11:01 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 06:43 PM

129 posts, read 150,637 times
Bye bye Haggen. Leaving SoCal completely.

Haggen to exit Southern California, refocus on Northwest stores - The Orange County Register

Old 09-24-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
It's not like I didn't see that coming.

But Haggen lawsuit goes after Albertsons.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:02 PM

3,267 posts, read 3,929,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Patrizio View Post
Your impressions of Haggen markets?
Sorry, I don't do impressions

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County