Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you leave
Yes 42 54.55%
No 35 45.45%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:22 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Well, I did leave...

I didn't like OC when I first moved there, but it grew on me, and I liked it by the time I left. (Except Irvine, that place is basically a Nazi parking lot.) But OC, while not having a sense of place because of its proximity to LA, still has a very cosmopolitan population and dynamic economy in its own right.

I've since moved to the Netherlands, then back to L.A. County, and now San Diego County. I liked the Netherlands and L.A. County. So far, a few weeks into San Diego, I'm actually unimpressed (scenery and sunsets are beautiful, but do not a city complete...) It actually feels a little too "Midwestern" for California, IMO; OC, LA and the Bay Area have more of a blend of transplants and natives and are more cosmopolitan/diverse, which I like, but in SD, it truly feels like no one is actually from here.

I don't miss OC...but I'm also positive about the place. It is in the most central location to what Southern California has to offer. Who knows, I might live there again someday.
Well said. Unlike yourself, I liked OC even before I moved here and I had long toyed with the idea of moving here when I lived in SD county. SD county is beautiful, but in most cases, it lacks the sophistication in much (certainly not all) of the county. This is subjective of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:24 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Judging from the endless news reporting of "housing shortages" in OC, eye popping real estate prices for a crap shack, it seems there are many desperately trying to get in to OC.
That means nothing. The vast majority of those homes are being bought by rich Chinese and hedge fund groups who are either fixing them up and flipping them or turning them into vacation rentals. Very few real families are buying homes here. More people are leaving OC then moving in anyhow...

The boom is bust: Higher housing costs, fewer births, more deaths slow O.C. to a crawl - The Orange County Register

"But last year, population grew by just 23,600, less than 1 percent – the sixth-slowest rate in the past half-century of census data. The only years with less growth preceded the national economic recession. The primary reasons, in Census Bureau parlance, are domestic migration patterns and deaths. In plain English, more people are leaving Orange County for other parts of the U.S. than are coming to live here. And our increasingly elder population is dying off faster than babies are being born."

Old 04-14-2015, 12:34 AM

30 posts, read 41,627 times
Quote:
Judging from the endless news reporting of "housing shortages" in OC, eye popping real estate prices for a crap shack, it seems there are many desperately trying to get in to OC.

OC also has many people like myself who sacrificed an awful lot just to get to live here.
Correct, there's a shortage of inventory, not because people are buying it up but because no one's selling and there's no new construction since first time home buyers are priced out. The buyers are foreign money, investors and flippers. So if this trend continues, socal, especially LA and OC will be for the rich locals, the rich foreigners, and those whom shack up with multiple families. And of course the "crap shacks" you mentioned will be owned by those willing to live paycheck to paycheck just to own in LA/OC.

I've been looking to relocate out of California, easier said than done I know.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:33 AM

30 posts, read 66,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Well, I did leave...

I didn't like OC when I first moved there, but it grew on me, and I liked it by the time I left. (Except Irvine, that place is basically a Nazi parking lot.) But OC, while not having a sense of place because of its proximity to LA, still has a very cosmopolitan population and dynamic economy in its own right.

I've since moved to the Netherlands, then back to L.A. County, and now San Diego County. I liked the Netherlands and L.A. County. So far, a few weeks into San Diego, I'm actually unimpressed (scenery and sunsets are beautiful, but do not a city complete...) It actually feels a little too "Midwestern" for California, IMO; OC, LA and the Bay Area have more of a blend of transplants and natives and are more cosmopolitan/diverse, which I like, but in SD, it truly feels like no one is actually from here.

I don't miss OC...but I'm also positive about the place. It is in the most central location to what Southern California has to offer. Who knows, I might live there again someday.
how is irvine a "nazi parking lot?" pretty much anywhere you go in Irvine, youll be able to find parking. and you never have to pay for parking either.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:36 AM

30 posts, read 66,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocGuy714 View Post
Correct, there's a shortage of inventory, not because people are buying it up but because no one's selling and there's no new construction since first time home buyers are priced out. The buyers are foreign money, investors and flippers. So if this trend continues, socal, especially LA and OC will be for the rich locals, the rich foreigners, and those whom shack up with multiple families. And of course the "crap shacks" you mentioned will be owned by those willing to live paycheck to paycheck just to own in LA/OC.

I've been looking to relocate out of California, easier said than done I know.
If you have money, then there's always places to buy. Irvine and southern orange county is building houses like a mad man. Or do you just mean that you can't afford any of it?

Sure there are flippers, but foreigners also move there for the schools and safety.

Often people are just angry because they're getting displaced by foreigners with more money. hence, the reason why most middle to low income people (mainly white, mexican, black, or south east asians) flock to the inland valley where it's more affordable.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:39 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
I couldn't find the "are you completely nuts" option in the voting choices

Old 04-14-2015, 11:12 AM

30 posts, read 41,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewdestunitmover View Post
If you have money, then there's always places to buy. Irvine and southern orange county is building houses like a mad man. Or do you just mean that you can't afford any of it?

Sure there are flippers, but foreigners also move there for the schools and safety.

Often people are just angry because they're getting displaced by foreigners with more money. hence, the reason why most middle to low income people (mainly white, mexican, black, or south east asians) flock to the inland valley where it's more affordable.
Of course! If you have money the world is your oyster, that's obvious.

Just saying there's no room for middle class here anymore. And when the market is not fueled by the middle class, we have a problem. I myself can afford here, but not as large or in an area of my liking and I won't settle so don't have a problem with moving.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:53 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
OcGuy, it is distressing to see you get so discouraged. Real estate in California has had many cycles of boom and bust. Don't give up. Save and consider waiting it out for your family. You'll regret leaving CA. We are in another bubble and it could well pop.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:04 PM

823 posts, read 1,785,316 times
Quote:
OcGuy, it is distressing to see you get so discouraged. Real estate in California has had many cycles of boom and bust. Don't give up. Save and consider waiting it out for your family. You'll regret leaving CA. We are in another bubble and it could well pop.

But that's what everyone has been saying for the past 10+ years. My husband and I waited for it to pop, but it didn't really. There was a point where prices dipped a bit, but it just continued to go up and up and up.

I have friends who are looking to buy right now. They're in a really tight spot having sold their condo (here in OC) and currently staying with friends (really close, close friends) until they can buy a house. What if they can't get anything?

Still, I agree to not give up. Cut back as much as you can and save, save, save. There are buying opportunities out there if you really want to own your own home.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:18 PM

521 posts, read 733,442 times
Moved out of San Clemente in 2012, sold house, and moved to the north shore Kauai. We are now back but in Del Mar. I grew up in coastal OC and realize now how spoiled by the weather and conveniences I was. Could never get used to the humidity of Kauai, as beautiful as it is. It also caused terrible allergies, mold, rust, and was bad for my son's arthritis. And the lack of conveniences, restaurants, jobs, and services got old quick. I felt trapped in my job since there was really no mobility. And while we love the beach, it is not the only thing we want to have available.
Now we are transitioning back so did a 6 month house and car swap to make sure we want to move back to SoCal. I think we will though not sure of the exact area. The drought is also concerning. We are comfortable renting after the swap until we are certain we want to stay here. It is still very crowded. But the weather and conveniences are hard to beat.

Last edited by scgali; 04-14-2015 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County