Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you leave
Yes 42 54.55%
No 35 45.45%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 04:17 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,590 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised here in the OC. Came into this world in the late 70's in San Clemente. First few years of life were in South OC. Then San Diego in the early 80's. Up to Whittier in 1983. Then Anaheim grade school years in the mid-80's. Then junior high school in La Habra for a year or two. Moved to Ontario, CA for 1990. Then grounded in Fullerton since 1991. OC seemed alright back then. But in the last 10-15 years all of my family has left here. Parents went to Tennessee in 2008. They sold there house here for 500K and bought a even bigger house in TN for 150K. My 2 brothers went to the South while in the Army. They haven't returned. My aunts and uncles and their families got the hell out, moved to Georgia, South Dakota, and Ridgecrest. My cousins went to San Diego. And a couple of others. I'm like one of few left remaining here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 04:48 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Judging from the endless news reporting of "housing shortages" in OC, eye popping real estate prices for a crap shack, it seems there are many desperately trying to get in to OC.

OC also has many people like myself who sacrificed an awful lot just to get to live here.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:33 PM

823 posts, read 1,785,316 times
I'm currently very happy here in Orange County. Life is hectic, but we are comfortable. Every time my family and I visit Northern California, I am just in love with the greenery. I'm from the Pacific Northwest and while my husband and I would love to move anywhere northward, we are held back by our family.

Moving is a lot of work. Change is hard, but maybe one day when I'm old and of retirement age, I'll do what your parents did and sell the house and pocket the money.

I would never change Orange County for Ridgecrest, though .

Old 04-13-2015, 05:35 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Judging from the endless news reporting of "housing shortages" in OC, eye popping real estate prices for a crap shack, it seems there are many desperately trying to get in to OC.

OC also has many people like myself who sacrificed an awful lot just to get to live here.
If I had bought there in 2000 (moved back to CA) instead of Riverside County, I might still be there. Then again maybe not as I grew up in OC before moving all over creation and it is a far cry from what it was. They say you can't go home again and in this case I think they are right. Plus my wife would kill me if I tried.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:13 PM

30 posts, read 66,601 times
Depends where you go. I've lived in OC (Irvine particularly) since 1989; it's a great place to raise a family and for retired folks, the school ratings are some of best. With that in mind, it all depends on personal preference. Most of my friends who didn't move out of OC all have families now. The ones that did move out, moved to places like LA, SF, NYC, Austin, Seattle, etc. Areas that are more urban / city. There's just more excitement and things to do outside of OC. If you're really into the beach scene, then maybe you should consider staying. Also, i know most of you guys dislike the traffic in OC, but it's still one of the most convenient places to live (if you have a car).

Personally, I got tired of the generic houses, shopping centers, and restaurants, so I'm currently living in SF. But I do miss OC sometimes when I get fed up with the city life (homeless people, drugs, crime), but it comes with the territory living in a city. The way how I see it, you can always come back to OC later on in life, but for the people in their 20s, 30s, and early 40s, I'd much prefer living elsewhere.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:07 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Moved to Missouri. Hated it. Moved back to OC within 2 years

Old 04-13-2015, 08:18 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Moved here 25 years ago. I'll die here. This is home now.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 PM

471 posts, read 600,829 times
No amount of giant house in much of America would compensate for the loss of Orange County for me.

Coastal California and Orange County in particular provides access to more entertainment, recreation, interesting and delicious food, cultures, and beautiful weather than nearly any other place in the country.

The traffic isn't worse than what I've experienced in many cities and in fact OC is actually pretty good.

Crime? OC is one of the safest places in America, and few places are safer, that includes most rural areas.

The air is soft, a goldilocks blend of humidity and temperature, like few places on Earth. The smell of Hyacinth, Gardenia, Rose, and Citrus blossom fill the air. Gentle winters and comfortably warm summers. The marine layer rolling in each night to tuck you into bed. Heavenly!

I'd take a small house in OC than a mansion in most of the US. But hey, that's just me. I love Orange County!

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 04-13-2015 at 09:09 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 10:07 PM

384 posts, read 734,630 times
I would move out of LA to OC

Old 04-13-2015, 10:58 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Well, I did leave...

I didn't like OC when I first moved there, but it grew on me, and I liked it by the time I left. (Except Irvine, that place is basically a Nazi parking lot.) But OC, while not having a sense of place because of its proximity to LA, still has a very cosmopolitan population and dynamic economy in its own right.

I've since moved to the Netherlands, then back to L.A. County, and now San Diego County. I liked the Netherlands and L.A. County. So far, a few weeks into San Diego, I'm actually unimpressed (scenery and sunsets are beautiful, but do not a city complete...) It actually feels a little too "Midwestern" for California, IMO; OC, LA and the Bay Area have more of a blend of transplants and natives and are more cosmopolitan/diverse, which I like, but in SD, it truly feels like no one is actually from here.

I don't miss OC...but I'm also positive about the place. It is in the most central location to what Southern California has to offer. Who knows, I might live there again someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County