Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,147 times

Advertisements

My family and I are possibly moving back to Orange County to be closer to family. We currently live in San Diego and found out last year our twin boys are on the Autism Spectrum. After they turned 3 they started attending a special education preschool. They are doing so well there and I really like the school. I like that the school is entirely a special education preschool and not a mainstream school with a section for special education. We have contacted the Orange County Regional Center and she sent us a link to schools with a special education or autism geared departments, but we were really hoping to find a school/preschool focusing on special education or autism. Does anyone know of any specific preschools that are entirely geared toward autism or special education in Orange County? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:34 PM

823 posts, read 1,778,238 times
Speech and Language Development Center in Buena Park

I almost took my then 3.5 year-old son to the above school for speech therapy, but found out through the local school district that he qualified for services there and at another speech clinic in Long Beach (Scottish Rite Speech Clinic). Both services for free, so I thought I'd give them a try rather than pay for services in Buena Park.

So, I never used their services, but my interaction with the staff was great. When I went to the school to turn in my application (prior to getting results from the school district), I was surprised to see an actual school campus.

On the way out, an older student was walking with 2 adults and he broke away from them. They chased him down, quickly caught up to him, held him and tried to calm him down as he continued to struggle, kick, and yell at them.

That's when I realized that this was more than just a speech center. The adults were very gentle with that boy--he must've been 13 and autistic? He did not want to be there! It was quite a scene, but they took care of it very well. I rushed away so my young kids wouldn't have to see that.

The reviews are great. It seems like hidden gem. I hope it is and that your family will benefit from it.

Incidentally, the public school that my son ended up getting services at (Wakeham Elementary in Garden Grove) was really good. He only needed help with his speech, but he ended up in this program for special needs preschoolers. He and another boy were the only ones there specifically for speech. Some of the other kids, my son told me, didn't talk at all. Not at all? Nope, they don't talk, he'd tell me. I loved how he was able to spend time in this class. The school is not in the best area, but the teachers were fabulous. It is a regular public school, but it seems to have several special ed preschool classes. I just loved the teachers, the students and the experience.

Also, if you end up in my area, you might as well see if your son qualifies for help through Scottish Rite in downtown Long Beach. What a gem. Free speech help for kids up to 5 years old. They rely on donations, but never ever beg or harass you to give money. Wakeham was a class setting, but Scottish Rite is one-on-one sessions. My son maxed out of the program but all is well--he has progressed so much so his spot can go to another child.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:09 AM

6 posts, read 7,367 times
Early Childhood Leaning Center (ECLC) in Irvine is a special education preschool site. All services on one campus. It is wonderful. Both my sons attended full day preschool there. They both have autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County