Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 2,616 times

Advertisements

I am considering a potential job promotion that would require us (me+husband+almost 5 yr old) to move from Oakland to OC (near SNA). The job is definitely the right career-move, but we LOVE LOVE LOVE Oakland, and have been here for ~10 years. I fear the OC stereotype (materialistic, snobby, "keeping up with the Jones").

What we love about our neighborhood is that...it's extremely walkable, has tons of parks, restaurants, shopping, temperate weather (we're outside all the time!), great public schools, community support of neighbors, local business and farmers markets, public transportation to SF/airports, easy 3 hour drive to Tahoe/mountains for skiing/lake fun, hiking trails in our backyard, the list goes on and on....

My question for this forum is...based on what we love about OakTown, what OC areas would be a good fit for us? Does it even exist in SoCal? What neighborhoods should we consider? ...or should I just propose commuting?!?! TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 02:29 PM

823 posts, read 1,791,840 times
I'll let others suggest cities, but regarding the OC stereotype, not everyone here is plastic and materialistic. There are snobs, but there are very nice, friendly people too. Some neighbors are welcoming to the new person on the block. There's just a variety of people in OC so you will find a good and bad. I keep hearing Oakland in a negative tone, so it's nice to hear you say you like it up there. My company headquarters is there, so I've there and have friends there.

Public transportation here is not as good as Northern California. The weather down here, I think, is much milder than up north, so you'll be able to enjoy the parks, beaches, mountains, shopping centers, etc.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:17 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,175,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
I'll let others suggest cities, but regarding the OC stereotype, not everyone here is plastic and materialistic. There are snobs, but there are very nice, friendly people too. Some neighbors are welcoming to the new person on the block. There's just a variety of people in OC so you will find a good and bad. I keep hearing Oakland in a negative tone, so it's nice to hear you say you like it up there. My company headquarters is there, so I've there and have friends there.

Public transportation here is not as good as Northern California. The weather down here, I think, is much milder than up north, so you'll be able to enjoy the parks, beaches, mountains, shopping centers, etc.
Exactly.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:01 PM

3,303 posts, read 3,961,654 times
What the hell part of Oakland do you live in? All of the places I've seen are in the hood.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,616 times
Thanks russlancea!

Ysr_racer... That's too bad. There are quite a few amazing parts of Oakland... Temescal , Claremont, Rockridge, Glenview, Montclair, Redwood Heights....

Old 05-08-2015, 10:41 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,547,081 times
As always with these types of threads, your budget will determine everything. What is it?

Old 05-08-2015, 10:43 AM

68 posts, read 101,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingphan View Post
What we love about our neighborhood is that...it's extremely walkable, has tons of parks, restaurants, shopping, temperate weather (we're outside all the time!), great public schools, community support of neighbors, local business and farmers markets, public transportation to SF/airports, easy 3 hour drive to Tahoe/mountains for skiing/lake fun, hiking trails in our backyard, the list goes on and on....
This. The money would have to be really good for me to give that up...especially the part about the proximity to Lake Tahoe and hiking in the redwoods.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:25 PM

104 posts, read 127,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post

Weather in Oakland is pretty mild already. I'd say the OC gets hot (more similar to the outer East Bay near the valley)

Old 05-08-2015, 11:50 PM

3,250 posts, read 6,319,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingphan View Post
I fear the OC stereotype (materialistic, snobby, "keeping up with the Jones").
Don't make decisions based on stereotypes! At least the OC stereotype is better than the Oakland stereotype like this one: http://bit.ly/1IYfIms

I would start the search with the school systems.

California School Ratings, school profiles, test scores - Orange County

Old 05-09-2015, 09:52 AM

823 posts, read 1,791,840 times
If the weather in Oakland is already mild and you have a walkable community with great public transportation...hmm...it would take a big promotion for me to uproot my family and move to OC.

OC does get hot. I love the climate in Northern California much more. Public transportation here just isn't good and the freeways can get very congested. I have been fortunate to not have to deal with heavy traffic, though.

Walkable communities? I can think of parts of Long Beach (in LA County), maybe downtown Orange, but it's not what you have up there.

I enjoy living in OC. Yes, I would move, but since I have extended family here and I finally gots meself a nice house, I love it.

Moving is a lot of work and if you already LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your community, I'd stay. Hard to find that in this day and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County