Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 03:03 AM

162 posts, read 231,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Drive down Bristol some time. Start at South Coast metro area which is a nice area and head north, then watch the surroundings as you cross the tracks around Alton. You start seeing trash everywhere, graffiti, homeless people etc. Turns real ghetto north of Warner. Turn down pretty much any side street in that area and you're in the barrio.
...and this is where the East Coaster in me kicks in and says "These are 400k houses with lawns, backyards, pools, and two cars in the driveway"...it's just...not...ghetto to me.

I'm not saying it's necessarily "safe" or that it's a desireable area, I just can't look at that and think it's "ghetto", even if it is, especially considering the price. Hell, I don't understand how these people can afford it. I couldn't afford to buy one of those houses in that area you mentioned, even the "ghetto" part. Even in Boston or the shadier areas of New York "the ghetto" isn't that expensive, and those cities dwarf the nicer parts of Orange County in terms of living costs, let alone Santa Ana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 AM

347 posts, read 666,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
...and this is where the East Coaster in me kicks in and says "These are 400k houses with lawns, backyards, pools, and two cars in the driveway"...it's just...not...ghetto to me.

I'm not saying it's necessarily "safe" or that it's a desireable area, I just can't look at that and think it's "ghetto", even if it is, especially considering the price. Hell, I don't understand how these people can afford it. I couldn't afford to buy one of those houses in that area you mentioned, even the "ghetto" part. Even in Boston or the shadier areas of New York "the ghetto" isn't that expensive, and those cities dwarf the nicer parts of Orange County in terms of living costs, let alone Santa Ana.
It isn't, even those areas OP marked in red still would be "normal" on the east coast. Hell, even in LA COUNTY those red areas would be normal. People on this forum are delusional. Yes, SNA still has certain areas that their biggest problem is graffiti, but that's their biggest problem, graffiti lol. Not murders like mbell and claims.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 PM

280 posts, read 325,875 times
Quote:
What is everybody's obsession with Santa Ana on this forum? There are 33 other cities in Orange County.
I think it's one person's obsession - multiple accounts. Just a hunch.

ETA: posted before I saw this:
Quote:
Yup. Every time a Santa Ana thread gets closed, a new one started by a new user with no posts magically pops up touting it as some amazing place to live. Curious isn't it?

Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
It isn't, even those areas OP marked in red still would be "normal" on the east coast. Hell, even in LA COUNTY those red areas would be normal. People on this forum are delusional. Yes, SNA still has certain areas that their biggest problem is graffiti, but that's their biggest problem, graffiti lol. Not murders like mbell and claims.
Yea, we are real delusional. Santa Ana is a safe, beautiful place to live! So 5 shootings, multiple stabbings and 6 hour SWAT standoffs in just the last two weeks happens in "normal" cities eh? You are the one who's delusional. How much is the city paying you to be their cheerleader? This is just from the last month in Santa Ana and the stories big enough to make the paper. You can add another few hundred incidents that didn't make the paper. What a great, "normal" city!

Man shot in possible gang-related attack in Santa Ana neighborhood- Crime Blog: Orange County Register
Man Shot, Killed In Broad Daylight In Santa Ana « CBS Los Angeles
Man shot while waiting at Santa Ana bus stop- Crime Blog: Orange County Register
Updated: Man arrested after 6-hour SWAT standoff in Santa Ana - Crime Blog: Orange County Register
4 wounded in gang stabbing inside Santa Ana hotel room - MyNewsLA.com
Police: Man shot in the legs in gang-related attack in Santa Ana- Crime Blog: Orange County Register
Man fired upon, but not hit, in front of Santa Ana home- Crime Blog: Orange County Register

Old 05-20-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
Right, you certainly have to take into account that when you're in an area full of beachfront millionaires and a town like Irvine where the average annual income is 94k/year, any place that is more working-class is going to seem that much worse and the urban legends will shoot up pretty fast.

Statistically, Santa Ana is safer than the average US city:

Those stats are from this very site's own tally. But when you line it up next to other cities in the area, I can see how it would cause such hysteria.

All of that said though, I wouldn't live there, mostly because the schools are garbage and you can find communities with better schools for not too much more money.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:52 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Right, you certainly have to take into account that when you're in an area full of beachfront millionaires and a town like Irvine where the average annual income is 94k/year, any place that is more working-class is going to seem that much worse and the urban legends will shoot up pretty fast.
There was just yet another deadly shooting Tues night in Santa Ana. That makes 6 shootings in the past three weeks, not including the stabbings and the huge gang shootout at a restaurant in Santa Ana end of April. Those are just the main ones that make the news we actually hear of too. Please tell me what part of the country violent crime like this is considered "normal" Maybe if you live in a garbage gehtto dump neighborhood like certain areas of Chicago, Detroit or Oakland its considered "normal" but people from actual normal cities around the country would be pretty shocked at the level and frequency of violence in SA.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Please tell me what part of the country violent crime like this is considered "normal" .

uhhhhhhhhhh... every single large city in America. You think America is filled with Irvines? lol

Old 05-21-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
There was just yet another deadly shooting Tues night in Santa Ana. That makes 6 shootings in the past three weeks, not including the stabbings and the huge gang shootout at a restaurant in Santa Ana end of April. Those are just the main ones that make the news we actually hear of too. Please tell me what part of the country violent crime like this is considered "normal" Maybe if you live in a garbage gehtto dump neighborhood like certain areas of Chicago, Detroit or Oakland its considered "normal" but people from actual normal cities around the country would be pretty shocked at the level and frequency of violence in SA.
Well the numbers and statistics don't lie. The southeast is full of cities with even lower populations that make Santa Ana look like the Garden of Eden. In Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, or Florida there are towns of 50-100k that have much higher crime rates, and most of them don't even have gangs to worry about.

I know that by comparison to the rest of Orange County the kind of stuff you're describing is shock and awe, but in many parts of the country where houses in the "ghetto" don't cost 400k and don't have swimming pools in the backyard, it's pretty standard stuff if you live in a poor area to deal with violent crime on a regular basis.

Here's a couple of examples:

Santa Ana had 11 murders in 2012, with a population of give or take 330k.

Jackson, Mississippi has a population of ~175k and had 66.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Jackson-Mississippi.html

Santa Ana has an overall crime rate of 230.9 by City Data's rankings. This puts it well below the national average of 301.

Marietta, GA (the town I lived in before moving here) has a population of 59k, and a crime rate of 368, almost 50% higher than that of Santa Ana, and it's considered nice.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Marietta-Georgia.html

Bessemer, Alabama is a suburb a few miles west of Birmingham. It has a population of only 27k. Its crime rate is 1150 vs. Santa Ana's 230 with 330K people.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Bessemer-Alabama.html

And I could go on and on all up and down the East Coast if you wish.

Santa Ana is bad, sure. But it's bad by Orange County standards. The average crime rate in the United States is 301. Santa Ana is 230. Santa Ana is safer than the average American city by a longshot. Granted, I still maintain that I wouldn't personally live there because, you're right, it is a bad area, but it's just not mathematically possible for it to be the blood-drenched hellhole you make it out to be.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Santa Ana is bad, sure. But it's bad by Orange County standards. The average crime rate in the United States is 301. Santa Ana is 230. Santa Ana is safer than the average American city by a longshot. Granted, I still maintain that I wouldn't personally live there because, you're right, it is a bad area, but it's just not mathematically possible for it to be the blood-drenched hellhole you make it out to be.
BOOM. A non biased STATISTICAL evaluation. THANK YOU. Even thought I have gone over the numbers a million times on this forum, it's great to see someone else do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County