Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:31 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Your agi is 55k but you are able to save 600k in two years? That math doesn't work...

However, with such low rent as you are paying now, financially it probably makes sense to never move out and just keep all your money in the stock market.
the benefits of being self employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 11:31 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
the benefits of being self employed.
You need to speak with a better mortgage broker.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:52 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
Quote:
Also, the most likely cause of a drop in the market is an increase in interest rates.
Keep in mind that an increase in interest rates will cause a SEVERE recession in the US, so that home may be 50% cheaper but most likely you will NOT have a job to afford it LOL! 8% interest rates right now would completely and totally devastate not only real estate but the broader economy... the market is hooked on cheap money, take that away and you have absolute carnage.

The interesting question is how long interest rates can be 4%? Japan has had ridiculously low interest rates for 2 decades, can it happen in the US as well? Who knows? Maybe.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:08 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
440k town home is over $3000 piti+hoa. If she has a car and credit card payment, she is well over 50% DTI. She is not getting a mortgage with that kind of income. Her gross income is $4583/month. You need to pay tax, social, disability and medical. Will bring her down to $3666/month. Piti+ hoa is $3100.
She has $566 left for insurance, gas, food, utility, phone, credit card or student loan.

No underwriter would approve that loan.
I don't know... could it be an interest only loan perhaps? Does FHA do that? I know for a fact that she put only 5% down, it was FHA, the condo costs $440k (as I verified the sales history on Zillow) and that her income was $55k + perhaps $3-4k overtime pay (which is consistent with her profession) so how is this possible? I don't know.

I ran it through an interest only calculator and the monthly payment on a $420,000 mortgage at 4% is $1,400 so that seems more plausible. Ridiculously risky but theoretically doable.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:57 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Keep in mind that an increase in interest rates will cause a SEVERE recession in the US, so that home may be 50% cheaper but most likely you will NOT have a job to afford it LOL! 8% interest rates right now would completely and totally devastate not only real estate but the broader economy... the market is hooked on cheap money, take that away and you have absolute carnage.

The interesting question is how long interest rates can be 4%? Japan has had ridiculously low interest rates for 2 decades, can it happen in the US as well? Who knows? Maybe.
I doubt homes in prime areas will drop 50%. that didn't happen during the recession. Also interest rates don't double over night.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:22 PM

49 posts, read 68,679 times
Quote:
I doubt homes in prime areas will drop 50%. that didn't happen during the recession. Also interest rates don't double over night.
Agree, there might be a dip, but I don't forsee 50%. Interest will go up, they have in the last week. But I do wonder where it will be in the next five years. I don't think double but I'm guessing somewhere in the ~6%...?

Old 06-11-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
You need to speak with a better mortgage broker.
I spoke with several Mortgage Brokers. All of them given the about the same quote. Based on my 55k agi for the past 2 years.

The only way I would qualify for a 550k is to get a co-signer, or put down more money or amend my tax return.

Which is why I am doubting that the girl qualified for 450k on a 55k salary with only 5% down.

Unless brokers are treating self-employed individuals differently from people with are employed by a company.

You can even go to an online mortgage calculator, and type in 55k as your salary, it says you qualify for a house that cost @250k....

Based on a 55k salary, and 5% down, you can only qualify for $113k...

Mortgage Qualification Calculator: How much mortgage might I qualify for?

Old 06-11-2015, 04:01 PM

426 posts, read 423,962 times
Incognito, you need to go find a portfolio lender that will service the loan in-house. The rates will be higher because its not backed by the government.

I doubt interest rate will go higher. If we look at Europe and Japan, their interest has been low for a long time.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Incognito, you need to go find a portfolio lender that will service the loan in-house. The rates will be higher because its not backed by the government.

I doubt interest rate will go higher. If we look at Europe and Japan, their interest has been low for a long time.
That's what I did. However, the Portfolio lender didn't have a 30 year loan. Only a 5 year loan I believe. The rates were higher and I decided to just pass on that.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:29 PM

426 posts, read 423,962 times
Keep looking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County