Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,895 times

Advertisements

Hi there Greek american male from NYC, for reasons I don't want to explain (preserve anonymity) I am relocating to Southern CA like within the next 10 days. Found a few nice places in San Clemente. Would a single early 20s male be happy here? Are there any unsafe areas? If so where? If you don't reccomend San Clemente then where? Just looking things up it seems that I would prefer the areas either along the coast or in south county. The apartments seem to be near the metro link train, is this a good option for an everyday commuter or is it too impractical/unpredictable? How is the job market for people with CNC machinist/lathe experience? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 07:01 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Would a single early 20s male be happy here?

YES, I cannot imagine why you wouldn't be. San Clemente is a wonderful and fun place.

When you leave the immediate beach areas, South OC becomes mostly bedroom communities which you may find more boring.

Metrolink is great if your place of work will be near the destination, which for most people, isn't the case. You can get a junker car for the other location, as many do.

What is a CDC machinist?

Old 05-23-2015, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. The apartments I am seeing look pretty close to the beach from what I am seeing on maps..don't wanna give the exact location but it's on a little side street with a Spanish name (Avenida de..) off El Camino Real very near the metrolink station (computer says 0.4 miles). Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad area or it was all families with children. Is there nightlife in the area? Is OC nightlife mostly just bars? Will I have to travel into LA for larger clubs? I like that Disney is close will definitely be getting a season pass!

I drive a harley (getting towed on the back of the uhaul) but a train commute is always nicer cause you can get a few more mins to close your eyes.

Basically a machinist is someone who manufactures parts of things when it has to do with cutting or bending metal. A CNC is the guy that can program a computer or automated system to do the manufacturing so it doesn't have to be done by hand..I'm the guy that replaced the assembly line lol. Most of my work has been in aerospace, does the aerospace industry have any ops in Southern California these days? I can work in any kind of manufacturing setting though.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:46 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
I have no idea about that line of work but there isn't too much manufacturing here anymore like there was decades ago. I know there are places in Oceanside that do precision parts. Parts of OC and SD do surfboard and skateboard cutting, etc. You'll have to research where since I do not know.

OC is very expensive, just a word of warning. You should have a job before coming here.

If you want to seriously party, I recommend just living in LA. OC has some nightlife but nothing like LA.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:56 PM

Thanks. Manufacturing in general isn't what it was decades ago, it's all gone South if you know what I mean lol. I'm looking and it looks like there are a few operations in Anaheim. I know it's expensive but I'm used to expense I'm paying $2100 for 600 sq feet right now.

I'm not a serious Partier at all, just occasionally once a month or so, more of a bar person I just wanted to know what was up. I have no choice really to move to OC, my ex is moving for a job to the area with my 2 year old daughter and I like to stay close so I can get my weekends.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:18 PM

32 posts, read 44,675 times
San Clemente should be perfect for you!

I say this as a female in my 20s. I would choose SC over anywhere else in OC. As for night life... there are bars in SC and Laguna, but beyond that, you will have to go to LA or SD, which becomes a hassle if you don't have friends living in those areas. But SC does have a walkable area with restaurants, shops, the beach, etc which would make it my choice. Laguna is a wonderful place as well, but definitely has a different feeling to it. SC is more laid back & down to earth, not so pretentious.

The area that you are looking at for housing near north beach is great. My dad commutes to LA once a week on the train, and it takes a while but it beats driving by far.

You will be able to walk to some of my favorite beaches!

There are also some more family neighborhoods with parks and such if you know where to go.

Sorry, I can't comment on the job situation.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:01 AM

277 posts, read 365,257 times
San Clemente, perhaps the nicest town and best kept secret in the OC. Decent night life on Victoria Ave down town and up the road in Dana Point Harbor. A lot of HOT single ladies. It is what I would call a target rich environment. It is expensive to live there. If I moved back to the OC, SC would be my first choice. The train roll through like clock work.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:18 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Would a single early 20s male be happy here?

YES, I cannot imagine why you wouldn't be. San Clemente is a wonderful and fun place.

When you leave the immediate beach areas, South OC becomes mostly bedroom communities which you may find more boring.

Metrolink is great if your place of work will be near the destination, which for most people, isn't the case. You can get a junker car for the other location, as many do.

What is a CDC machinist?
With the exception of Los Angeles, OP. Your metrolink ticket includes free tranfer to all metro rail subway and light rail and busses, both MTA and LADOT DASH. You can connect to 3 rail lines and numerous busses at Union Station, Metrolink's hub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County