Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:46 PM

68 posts, read 99,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledo1611 View Post
Do you guys have recommendations for other places outside of Irvine? We looked at Laguna Beach and the Newport area, but might be too expensive and not as diverse as we would like. We are not a Caucasian family so we are looking for a place with more diversity if possible. I think this will also help the kids grow, learn and have a better overall human experience.
Aliso Viejo high school is the highest rated school in Capistrano Valley school district. The nearby Laguna Hills high takes students from a low income area in Aliso viejo. I'd also consider living close to Saddleback college so your kids can take some college credits. I have heard good things about Tesoro high in Ladera Ranch. But you have to be careful with Ladera ranch though because half of it belongs to San Juan Hills high which is not desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 04:07 PM

49 posts, read 68,084 times
What about Tustin? Or Newport?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:27 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,069,508 times
Easy school, hard life. Hard school, easy life.

If your kids can't handle school and competition, they are in for a rude awakening. No one is going to coddle you after you move out of the house.

There's a reason why Asians average the highest income overall. They are also the reason why the market in OC is overpriced. These Asians come here making cash offers....

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres...by-race-2013-9

Old 06-06-2015, 08:45 AM

19 posts, read 100,969 times
Why are so many people upset that someone does not want to send their kids to school in Irvine? It's not for everyone. I agree with the OP. We are moving back to OC with our school-age kids. My husband has a job in Irvine but we are not interested in living there because we want to avoid the hypercompetitive school culture. There are plenty of other great schools in OC. Irvine has the highest scores, but that does not mean you get a poor education everywhere else. Believe it or not, plenty of successful, hardworking people went to schools that were not in Irvine.

I wonder if those of you who are bashing the OP have ever known anyone in a hyper competitive school environment. Not everyone thrives. And even some who do excel come through with damaged psyches. So while it's great for some, it's not for others. Good parents know their children and try to guide them to experiences that will enhance their lives, whether that means school in Irvine or elsewhere, nonstop afterschool activities or plenty of time off to pursue a passion (maybe even starting the next Microsoft in the garage).

So stop all the condemnation of those who think different. And if anyone has some insight on other schools in the area, I would love to hear it, as well.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:26 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,548,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
Of course not, but that's no reason to intentionally give your kids anything less than the absolute best shot you possibly can give them. They think the Irvine schools are too hard? Tough. Work harder. That's what I'd tell mine, but I'd make sure they never even got that mentality because I'd make sure they understood how incredibly lucky they are to be where they're at and how many other kids in the world would give anything to have the opportunities they have.

Because guess what? They're going to finish college and get a job that pays them barely enough to get by. These self-entitled spoiled rich kids who grew up thinking that what they have here in SoCal is just "normal" are going to whine and moan about how they're entitled to the world on a string, meanwhile my kids will be working and saving and running around circles around the others because they appreciate what they have and understand the hard work required to have achieved it.
First, you don't have to live in Irvine to act like a Tiger mom, just make them do all the same stuff at another school. Second, I think you'll look back and be happy you didnt stay there. I understand your disappointment though, hang in there.

O.P. there are plenty of good school districts in and around OC. Just do a little research, then come on with a few choices and we'll help you out. I'm thankful none of my kids want to be rocket scientists. Lol They all went into computer science and they had a pretty chill high school experience. We aren't the competitive type either. Everyone's happy and doing just fine on the financial front. No worries.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:01 AM

109 posts, read 140,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobecaneti View Post
Aliso Viejo high school is the highest rated school in Capistrano Valley school district. The nearby Laguna Hills high takes students from a low income area in Aliso viejo. I'd also consider living close to Saddleback college so your kids can take some college credits. I have heard good things about Tesoro high in Ladera Ranch. But you have to be careful with Ladera ranch though because half of it belongs to San Juan Hills high which is not desirable.
Uhm, San Juan Hills is VERY desirable, it has an 8/10. Maybe not quite as good as the others in the area but by no means "not desirable".

San Juan Hills High School - San Juan Capistrano, California - CA - School overview

Old 06-11-2015, 03:53 PM

329 posts, read 623,549 times
It's not end of the world if your kids don't go to top performing schools. I give more credit to kids who overcome obstacles at a mediocre school than kids from excellent school. People just pay too much attention to school rankings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County