Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,722 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to Orange county from India. I have a 5 year old son. He will start in Kindergarten and I am looking for some good elementary schools for him. I have heard that schools are good in Irvine. I have zeroed in on Stone creek Elementary and Deerfield as there are walking distance apartments near these schools.

My concern is that since my son has grown up in India, he doesn't speak good English though he understands. His language proficiency has been delayed. I am concerned that how will he cope up in the school. I want to know what are the good schools in Irvine which cater to kids who doesn't speak good English. What help do they get in school for this need. I don't want him to lose his confidence due to this.

Please suggest what are the other challenges we can face here.

Thanks in advance
Adi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:22 AM

823 posts, read 1,784,986 times
I can't speak about Irvine schools specifically, but in general, young kids like yours will pick up new languages very quickly. He will be around English-speaking kids, playing with them, etc. so he'll be jabbering away in English before you know it. I'm sure the schools will offer him some extra help he needs in the beginning.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:13 PM

7 posts, read 8,242 times
Hi Adi, Irvine has very good schools with a very culturally mix of children. Besides Stonecreek & Deerfield, you may look into Alderwood Elementary School, Bonita Canyon Elementary School, Canyon View Elementary School, Northwood Elementary School. Another community other than Irvine is Aliso Viejo. It is a upscale lifestyle community has a great school system, great community, 5 miles to laguna beach and great housing that tends to be more affordable than Irvine.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:55 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
Call the schools and talk to the administration.

Your son will most likely be placed in ELD (english language develpment) classes; classes for students who speak little to no English. They may or may not test or assess him first.

Depending on the area, a majority of students in these classes will be Hispanic. So most ELD classes cater to that demographic.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:59 PM

337 posts, read 405,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh-Huh View Post
"Good" school is code word for "asian" school. The rankings are partially determined by "diversity" only in the modern "everything but white" sense i.e. not truly diverse - just another Diamond Bar / Westminster. Just check the O.C. Register's criteria to see what I mean. The schools sell the homes and the homes sell the schools and that's all there is to it. It's just a bunch of marketing gibberish. A public school is a public school. There is nothing special about it.
Huh Asians are very smart, hardworking and come from a very ancient and rich culture. China and India are 5000 year old civilizations. You jealous or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County