Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 11:46 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
What is shocking is just how many families apply for some rentals! This is totally anecdotal, but I have been watching in my area where a fairly modest SFR home is for rent, asking price at well over 4k. I see so many apparently worthy tenants working hard to get the rental and apparently trying to impress the landlord. OMG, this is madness. If a family can afford 4500/mo for a small SFR rental, the next question that occurs to me is why they are not buying...somewhere.
Well over $4k? Most people don't do nearly enough research. There are plenty of SFHs in Laguna Niguel well under $4k a month. I searched with a max rent of only $3k and found 17 alone just on Zillow, 10 on Trulia and dozens more on Craigslist. These are pretty nice places too, certainly nicer than a small apartment with neighbors piled on all sides of you. I only looked for 3 minutes, Im sure there are even more than what I found.

Houses For Rent in Laguna Niguel CA - 17 Homes | Zillow

Single Family Homes for Rent in Laguna Niguel ! Homes | Trulia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 05:28 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
What is shocking is just how many families apply for some rentals! This is totally anecdotal, but I have been watching in my area where a fairly modest SFR home is for rent, asking price at well over 4k. I see so many apparently worthy tenants working hard to get the rental and apparently trying to impress the landlord. OMG, this is madness. If a family can afford 4500/mo for a small SFR rental, the next question that occurs to me is why they are not buying...somewhere.
Because they probably don't have the actual savings DTI and reserves to qualify. Having the ability to pay a high rent price doesn't correlate to being able to buy a house. Most people can afford the monthly payment which in itself is right now comparable to a rental price. They can't afford anything else that comes along with the monthly payment.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:17 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
Well over $4k? Most people don't do nearly enough research. There are plenty of SFHs in Laguna Niguel well under $4k a month. I searched with a max rent of only $3k and found 17 alone just on Zillow, 10 on Trulia and dozens more on Craigslist. These are pretty nice places too, certainly nicer than a small apartment with neighbors piled on all sides of you. I only looked for 3 minutes, Im sure there are even more than what I found.

Houses For Rent in Laguna Niguel CA - 17 Homes | Zillow

Single Family Homes for Rent in Laguna Niguel ! Homes | Trulia

I looked at the first link, lots of townhouses. Have a look at your own links. The rest look tiny etc.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:21 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times
Quote:
I looked at the first link, lots of townhouses. Have a look at your own links. The rest look tiny etc.
I should have clarified I guess. I still consider a townhouse better than an apartment as you typically only have one common wall, no one above or below you. A 1,400 sqft townhouse with a 2 car garage still beats a 750 sqft apartment any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Not sure where you are getting "tiny" from either. The smallest home on there is 1,171 sqft. The rest are over 1,400 sqft with several close to and over 2,000. Sure beats a 750 sqft apartment with neighbors on top, below and both sides of you while you fight for parking spaces in your complex of 300 people Like I said, that was only with a max of $3k rent, bump it up to $4k and that Zillow link jumps to 36 available with even bigger and nice places. As I said, someone doing their research can find a nice, big house in Laguna Niguel (or pretty much any OC city) for the same price or less than most crappy apartments rent for.

Last edited by dexter14; 07-17-2015 at 01:33 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 07:25 PM

91 posts, read 165,777 times
Unless you're making over $150k/yr, why bother with Newport and South OC? It's all about money in that area. Not saying it's a bad thing....just saying, if you don't have money, you probably should look towards Huntington Beach or other area that you can afford. You won't fit in and people will get tired of hearing you *****/moan/complain.

I used to get so annoyed when I was living in Newport.....I worked from home and whenever I made small talk with my neighbors and the subject of what I did for a living came up, and I told them "I own my own business, work from home and come and go as I please", the exact words that came out of their mouths were "must be nice!" (in a sarcastic tone of voice). I moved to Newport to meet other business owners my age to make new friends. I was sadly disappointed.

Prior to that, the only friends I could make were the 65-75 year old farts at the country club (Old Ranch) I belonged to. None of my friends could afford to go play 18 holes on a Tuesday morning, they had a job to attend to. Do you know how sucky life is when you're in your 30's and all your friends are a bunch of rich old farts who look like they're about to have a heart-attack any minute? How am I going to meet any young women hanging out with a 75 year old fart who I play golf with?

I wound up at Park Newport Apartments (yeah I know...I got suckered in by the good looks....only to realize it's 50% frathouse and 50% retirement community) and I didn't meet a lot of people who were like me. Most were 9-5'ers and as such I could not socialize with them.

Having lived that lifestyle for many years, I'm moving to bumf*ck egypt (Idaho). I want to experience what "real America" feels like for a few years. "Been there, done that" with Newport and want to see if life is any better in an area where my monthly expenses aren't $12k/mo. (like they were in Newport). I had a ton of fun, but nothing to show for it.

The way this country is going downhill, will most likely wind up renouncing my citizenship and moving to Eastern Europe in a couple of years.

Good luck with the "change" and "progressiveness".

Old 07-19-2015, 07:27 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasucks View Post
Unless you're making over $150k/yr, why bother with Newport and South OC? It's all about money in that area. Not saying it's a bad thing....just saying, if you don't have money, you probably should look towards Huntington Beach or other area that you can afford. You won't fit in and people will get tired of hearing you *****/moan/complain.

I used to get so annoyed when I was living in Newport.....I worked from home and whenever I made small talk with my neighbors and the subject of what I did for a living came up, and I told them "I own my own business, work from home and come and go as I please", the exact words that came out of their mouths were "must be nice!" (in a sarcastic tone of voice). I moved to Newport to meet other business owners my age to make new friends. I was sadly disappointed.

Prior to that, the only friends I could make were the 65-75 year old farts at the country club (Old Ranch) I belonged to. None of my friends could afford to go play 18 holes on a Tuesday morning, they had a job to attend to. Do you know how sucky life is when you're in your 30's and all your friends are a bunch of rich old farts who look like they're about to have a heart-attack any minute? How am I going to meet any young women hanging out with a 75 year old fart who I play golf with?

I wound up at Park Newport Apartments (yeah I know...I got suckered in by the good looks....only to realize it's 50% frathouse and 50% retirement community) and I didn't meet a lot of people who were like me. Most were 9-5'ers and as such I could not socialize with them.

Having lived that lifestyle for many years, I'm moving to bumf*ck egypt (Idaho). I want to experience what "real America" feels like for a few years. "Been there, done that" with Newport and want to see if life is any better in an area where my monthly expenses aren't $12k/mo. (like they were in Newport). I had a ton of fun, but nothing to show for it.

The way this country is going downhill, will most likely wind up renouncing my citizenship and moving to Eastern Europe in a couple of years.

We really get the best posters on the OC forum.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:06 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
What the heck was that supposed to mean? OC, Newport especially, is not exactly very liberal so I am perplexed by your statement. It also sounds like you detest the monied folks in Newport. In any case, if you couldn't make it here or if you didn't like the people you were socializing with, did you ever consider that it could be you that's the problem? California will survive without you. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:42 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
You can rent houses for what most small 2 bedroom apartments are going for in OC these days. No idea why people still rent apartments at these ridiculous prices.
The cost's not bad when you cram 12 illegal aliens in, then it's $154 each.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:09 AM

91 posts, read 165,777 times
Quote:
What the heck was that supposed to mean? OC, Newport especially, is not exactly very liberal so I am perplexed by your statement. It also sounds like you detest the monied folks in Newport.
Nope. I detested the infestation of non-money into that area. Every single 30-something jackoff in an entry level 3 series or c class. It's gotten WAY worse than it was 15 years ago.

Seems as if all the 20-30 year olds from Huntington Beach moved to Park Newport.

That's what I was pissed off about. I take that back...I wasn't pissed off so much as I was very disappointed. Of course, "my fault" for moving to Park Newport....and "my fault again" for not breaking my lease (after realizing Park Newport was 50% retirement community and 50% frat house) and moving to that one apartment community that I looked at before I signed Park Newport lease. I should have paid attention to how many entry level 3 series and c classes there were in the parking lot of Park Newport. There were a ton of high end Mercedes/BMW's in the other apartment community and that would have given me a good chance to meet other guys my age to network with. I realize how that sounds....but let's face it: If you can afford to buy a 100k car, there's a damn good chance you own your own business. Just using those metrics to weed out the players from the ankle-biters.

And as far as "meeting money", it was extremely challenging for me to meet guys (to network with) my age who owned their own business. The only people I was able to meet were the 70 year old farts who weren't exactly conducive to making life long friends.

Go out to any given golf course within a 30 mile radius of Newport Beach on a weekday (non holiday) and count how many old farts there are vs. people my age.

Try going down to the Peninsula on any given Friday/Saturday night. White Trash 909'ers and all the douchebags that come with.

I already "made it" (8 years running my own successful company which was profitable 6 months prior to incorporating) and I fit in extremely well wherever I went in Newport. It was very challenging to find people my age and on my success level to make friends with.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:49 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
Nope. I detested the infestation of non-money into that area. Every single 30-something jackoff in an entry level 3 series or c class. It's gotten WAY worse than it was 15 years ago.

Seems as if all the 20-30 year olds from Huntington Beach moved to Park Newport.

That's what I was pissed off about. I take that back...I wasn't pissed off so much as I was very disappointed. Of course, "my fault" for moving to Park Newport....and "my fault again" for not breaking my lease (after realizing Park Newport was 50% retirement community and 50% frat house) and moving to that one apartment community that I looked at before I signed Park Newport lease. I should have paid attention to how many entry level 3 series and c classes there were in the parking lot of Park Newport. There were a ton of high end Mercedes/BMW's in the other apartment community and that would have given me a good chance to meet other guys my age to network with. I realize how that sounds....but let's face it: If you can afford to buy a 100k car, there's a damn good chance you own your own business. Just using those metrics to weed out the players from the ankle-biters.

And as far as "meeting money", it was extremely challenging for me to meet guys (to network with) my age who owned their own business. The only people I was able to meet were the 70 year old farts who weren't exactly conducive to making life long friends.

Go out to any given golf course within a 30 mile radius of Newport Beach on a weekday (non holiday) and count how many old farts there are vs. people my age.

Try going down to the Peninsula on any given Friday/Saturday night. White Trash 909'ers and all the douchebags that come with.

I already "made it" (8 years running my own successful company which was profitable 6 months prior to incorporating) and I fit in extremely well wherever I went in Newport. It was very challenging to find people my age and on my success level to make friends with.

There are several words for people like you. Sadly I am on a short leash these days so will refrain from speaking my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County