Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 03:01 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,051,276 times

Advertisements

Want to live in Orange County? It'll cost you $1,848 a month for an apartment - an all-time average high - The Orange County Register

Silicon Valley had California’s second-highest rent at $2,014/mo
Los Angeles County’s average rent increased 3 percent to $1,552/mo
Inland Empire’s average rent was up 4.3 percent to $1,159/mo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 03:03 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,553,538 times
Too many people, too much demand, not enough supply

Old 07-16-2015, 07:01 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,513,772 times
You can rent houses for what most small 2 bedroom apartments are going for in OC these days. No idea why people still rent apartments at these ridiculous prices.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
You can rent houses for what most small 2 bedroom apartments are going for in OC these days. No idea why people still rent apartments at these ridiculous prices.
What is shocking is just how many families apply for some rentals! This is totally anecdotal, but I have been watching in my area where a fairly modest SFR home is for rent, asking price at well over 4k. I see so many apparently worthy tenants working hard to get the rental and apparently trying to impress the landlord. OMG, this is madness. If a family can afford 4500/mo for a small SFR rental, the next question that occurs to me is why they are not buying...somewhere.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 07-16-2015 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-16-2015, 08:29 PM

7,823 posts, read 11,711,108 times
the economy is robust and 6 figure jobs are plentiful hence the rise in rents

Old 07-16-2015, 10:53 PM

347 posts, read 663,026 times
Developers gotta stop building their crappy 4 story wood structures and begin building high rises in area that welcome them like the Platinum Triangle, Santa Ana, and the IBC. It's so frustrating to see housing prices this high and developers get scared because things are "unstable." Oh please, cry me a river.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:17 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,635,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
Developers gotta stop building their crappy 4 story wood structures and begin building high rises in area that welcome them like the Platinum Triangle, Santa Ana, and the IBC. It's so frustrating to see housing prices this high and developers get scared because things are "unstable." Oh please, cry me a river.
Yeah the place I just bought in Anaheim is stick frame. But it's a walk up 3 story townhouse so I think that's reasonable.

I know there was some Chinese developer that had plans to put in a high rise development in the platinum triangle. I think it was mixed use with condos. Have you heard any news on that?

Old 07-16-2015, 11:45 PM

823 posts, read 1,770,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Want to live in Orange County? It'll cost you $1,848 a month for an apartment - an all-time average high - The Orange County Register

Silicon Valley had California’s second-highest rent at $2,014/mo
Los Angeles County’s average rent increased 3 percent to $1,552/mo
Inland Empire’s average rent was up 4.3 percent to $1,159/mo
From article:

Anaheim resident Sandra Knowles has until the end of the month to find a new apartment for her family of seven.

But she’s unable to come up with the extra $200 to $300 a month she needs to find an apartment comparable to the one she’s now renting for $1,884. Renting a house is even more unattainable since she’d have to come up with $6,000 for the monthly rent, deposit and application fees.

“Oh, my gosh, it’s so tough,” Knowles said. “We’re kind of stuck as it is. We may have to split up the family.”

Oh. My. Goodness. I had no idea the rental market is that bad now. What would that $2184 apartment even be? Probably not the 3 or 4 bedroom she'd need.

I tried to talk a good friend from moving to the desert for its cheap rent. So isolated. No jobs. There's no way she can move back to Orange County now.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:20 AM

121 posts, read 182,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
From article:

Anaheim resident Sandra Knowles has until the end of the month to find a new apartment for her family of seven.

But she’s unable to come up with the extra $200 to $300 a month she needs to find an apartment comparable to the one she’s now renting for $1,884. Renting a house is even more unattainable since she’d have to come up with $6,000 for the monthly rent, deposit and application fees.

“Oh, my gosh, it’s so tough,” Knowles said. “We’re kind of stuck as it is. We may have to split up the family.”

Oh. My. Goodness. I had no idea the rental market is that bad now. What would that $2184 apartment even be? Probably not the 3 or 4 bedroom she'd need.

I tried to talk a good friend from moving to the desert for its cheap rent. So isolated. No jobs. There's no way she can move back to Orange County now.

$2200 barely gets you a 2 bedroom 2 bath 950 sq. foot apartment here in South OC right now. It's a tight, tight market. I'm on the hunt for a new place in Dana Point, there's literally almost no inventory, may have to expand my search a bit.

I also have a friend that moved out to the desert area. Same problem, he wants to get back but is kind of stuck there now.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
From article:

People are resorting to getting boarders and other ways of coping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County