Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 03:01 PM

108 posts, read 125,458 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My thread is probably a bit out of place, but bear with me.

I'm a OC Native, CM & Newport. A work promotion has my wife and I headed to Boston.

I've utilized the Boston forum, but the perspective to this point has been mostly east coast residents. Helpful as they've been.. hoping to hear from folks born in Mass. that moved to OC willing to share their thoughts on OC and what I will encounter in Boston being a Californian through and through.

Been reading about Boston like a fiend... The neighborhoods and such, trying to get an idea about what community might suit us best. If it helps, we lived in San Francisco, lower pac heights, for 3 years, so we have a sense of city living.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Wait, what? You want to hear from Boston people who moved to OC but can tell you what it will be like as a Californian living in Boston....huh?

Old 07-28-2015, 06:49 AM

Lol.. Yeah, strangely written.

No, Bostonians who've moved to OC, their opinions on both places.

As I know OC extremely well.. their opinions of it might help me comprehend a Boston viewpoint.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:20 PM

35 posts, read 43,950 times
As someone who lives in Philadelphia (Lives in the Northeast). I would say that the City of Boston is the complete 100% opposite of Southern California (look at a map). I think the change would be far more dramatic than moving to places like DC, Chicago, or Texas or most other places in the country. The only example I could think of that would be more extreme would be moving from Hawaii to Boston. I also believe the change is much more than just the weather and scenery, but mainly the culture and how different the people are.

On a side note how much SNOW did Boston get this past winter??

Old 07-28-2015, 06:47 PM

Eagles - No question about being two different worlds... My work has me in Central Florida the past year, and now to Boston. The whole shock of being east has worn off.

I know a few people who have moved from Philadelphia to OC, they had it with winter. Although we are friends, regularly hanging out, we are worlds apart. I mean, Go Cowboys!!

Old 07-28-2015, 06:49 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
My brother left OC in 2000 and has been in Boston ever since. He lived in Jamaica Plains during school, Malden, in the city (at Kenmore Square), Watertown, and now lives in Belmont (just outside Cambridge). He's been wanting to move back to Ca, but his wife is an East Coaster (raised in Va), and I get the feeling that she'd be miserable here. She's use to city life, the changing of seasons, diversity, etc.

Living in the city with a car would mean you would have to also pay for a parking spot. Living just outside Boston with a 30 minute commute might be more like OC, if that's what you're looking for.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:08 PM

Thanks kwong7 - I think Eagles nailed with the people differences.

I'm a native California, but my parents are New Yorkers, I have thick skin... not worried about rudeness or making friends.

The point I get is there are no comparisons to be made.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:28 AM

1 posts, read 865 times
Born and raised in Boston, moved out to OC about 10 years ago after graduation. My info may not be as up to date, but this is what I remember from growing up.

Boston is nothing like SoCal. The closest CA comparison would be San Francisco. People in Boston seem more uptight or "rushed". I blame it on the bad weather. There are LOTS of college kids, so get used to rowdy screaming in the wee hours of the night. People really love the Red Sox. And there's also plenty of tourists, but not as much as LA. I've also noticed that people in OC are fairly conservative, whereas Boston is heavily liberal. Sometimes they can get downright snobby about education. As much as people complain about the MBTA, I miss it dearly. The OCTA pales in comparison. Boston is definitely a "walking" city, you'll see plenty of people out and about.

What kinds of neighborhoods are you considering in Boston?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:40 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
...and they are really bad drivers. probably among the worse on the country.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:56 PM

52 posts, read 108,880 times
I grew up outside of Boston in Needham. Its an awesome little town.

Needham, MA

You can get right into Boston on the commuter rail from Needham.

We have family in Boston, Foxboro, Andover, Lexington, Wakefield. Also in ME, RI and CT.

A promo brought my husband and I to CA in 2008.

While we miss Boston all.day.long we are not going back. We love first and foremost the weather in CA better than back home. Yup, we will always call it home.

We just returned from 3 weeks there. We go back allot as all our families still live in New England.

I will say this past winter was the worst on record in a long time. Their winters are crazy anyway but FEB 2015 it snowed almost 100 inches in one month. ugh.

Bostonians love their sports, Sox, Pats, B's and C's!

They can be snotty and tend to drive like maniacs but I have also seen that here.

I miss the small town living. As here it is all very large cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County