Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:08 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,443 times

Advertisements

"Compete with them or work for them" is one of the most sensible things I've read on these forums. Makes so much sense that it must somehow conflict with today's PC way of doing things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Newport Beach, libraries: Newport Beach considering going bookless at its original library - latimes.com

Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 AM

246 posts, read 421,922 times
I think the best of what you are looking for would be in Rancho Santa Margarita, Foothill Ranch, Las Flores area. You won't have an ocean view, but I think that the priorities are much better and the family friendly nature of those communities is awesome.

RSM btw is probably the most underrated city in all of OC, IMO. Around there if you are looking for natural beauty, you could live in Dove Canyon, Robinson Ranch, or Rancho Cielo. All are great family friendly places with a higher priority on family than you might find elsewhere.

OC is a great family friendly area, you just have to know the areas.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:45 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,512 times
The only area in NB that I have heard of that may have slide concerns is around Spy Glass Hill.

However, the Newport Inglewood Fault, which runs right under Standard Avenue close to the beach can reportedly generate a 7.0 earthquake and it may be due for a major shaker sometime within the next 30 years. So basically the Cliff Drive, Balboa Peninsula and Lido Isle areas could be in a world of hurt if the fault, which killed 120 in 1933 during a time when SoCal was a whole lot less populated than it is now (and most of the damage in that shaker was in Long Beach). How this will affect NB in areas further away (closer to Irvine, say) is hard to predict, especially since that area was mostly either fruit orchards or brush in 1933.

But then again, if you move into Laguna Niguel or Laguna Beach, those are known slide areas. In fact, LB has had TWO major slides in Bluebird Canyon over the last 30 years that cost millions of dollars worth of homes to be destroyed.

So my advice: if you gotta live in Newport Beach, do so at least a couple miles inland. I have no idea if Newport Coast would provide you any more protection from a quake than NB. You can always consult with a geologist (and, in fact, some people who buy homes in LB and LN have geologists look at their property and the surrounding area as part of the pre-closing inspection regime).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County