Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:34 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times

Advertisements

I just found out the house across the street (that just sold to new owners) is being used as a hotel (VRBO / AIRBNB). I didn't move to Tustin to live next door to a hotel with an endless parade of people on vacation.

I've already contacted our HOA, and they're going to put a stop to it. Our CC&R's specify no rentals less than 30 days.

I'm also speaking to the Tustin City Council on Tuesday night. Anybody else have any experience with this? I certainly don't want Tustin to turn into Anaheim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 03:54 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I just found out the house across the street (that just sold to new owners) is being used as a hotel (VRBO / AIRBNB). I didn't move to Tustin to live next door to a hotel with an endless parade of people on vacation.

I've already contacted our HOA, and they're going to put a stop to it. Our CC&R's specify no rentals less than 30 days.

I'm also speaking to the Tustin City Council on Tuesday night. Anybody else have any experience with this? I certainly don't want Tustin to turn into Anaheim.
We have a rental next door to us here in Anaheim. Never really been an issue. Don't really get the party type here though, mostly families headed to Disneyland. I wouldn't think you would get party types in Tustin either. Id be much more concerned in a beach area, not so much in Tustin. Most people from out of state haven't a clue Tustin even exists much less people from out of state looking to party in SoCal.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:24 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Everybody check your neighborhood.

We don't have any in ours but there are several closeby....$15 for a sofa to $350 for several rooms and a pool.

Did find an acquaintance is doing this.

ysr, tell us what you find out from your HOA on this.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:01 PM

805 posts, read 1,559,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
We have a rental next door to us here in Anaheim. Never really been an issue. Don't really get the party type here though, mostly families headed to Disneyland. I wouldn't think you would get party types in Tustin either. Id be much more concerned in a beach area, not so much in Tustin. Most people from out of state haven't a clue Tustin even exists much less people from out of state looking to party in SoCal.
True but if someone just searches Orange County Tustin will come up. Beach rentals book up and are very expensive (my parents have a home in Three Arch Bay that is on VRBO for something like 15k monthly) so people looking for something less expensive might look a bit inland.

Hope you get resolution on the quickly, I would be very annoyed too.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:10 PM

UPDATE !!

I spoke to my HOA and they said absolutely NOT. Residences are NOT to be used for commercial purposes. And our CCR&R's stipulate that properties may be leased out, but the lease has to be in writing, and can not be for a period of less than 30 days.

They're gong to send them a letter, and if they don't comply they're going to begin fining them.

I also spoke to the city, and they said absolutely NOT. That property is zoned as residential only, they don't have a business license, and they don't have a license to collect occupancy tax.

They're gong to send them a letter, and if they don't comply they're going to begin fining them.

We'll see how this plays out.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:44 AM

805 posts, read 1,559,003 times
This is really interesting.

By the way, after reading your post, I looked up a few properties in Tustin and the part of Irvine that is close to Tustin on VRBO and I am 99.9% sure I know which property you are referencing---and get this--the owners also own other VRBO properties in Tustin, Irvine and (ding ding) Westminster.

Is it your understanding then that the city of Tustin just does not allow short term rentals? So all VRBO properties might be under fire?

This should be fun....Keep us updated!

Old 08-05-2015, 11:12 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Yes, definitely keep us updated.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
It will be happening more and more as costs rise. A friend from NJ says it is standard practice in the major cities there to rent rooms out to make enough to pay property taxes. Many do this and the renters are happy to have a room to sleep in. Why do you think many immigrant families live 2 and 3 families to a house? They can't afford it any other way and ... that problem will spread as costs escalate in OC.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:17 PM

Just for fun go here VRBO - The Most Popular Vacation Rental Site in the US , enter your city, and see how many of your neighbors are doing this.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:50 PM

65 posts, read 105,435 times
see this thread on similar VRBO happenings in Irvine.

http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,13411.0.html

If I see something like this happening in my neighborhood, I will be lodging a complaint with any agency I can get to listen--HOA, city, calling in police for any nuisance from house renting party-ers, etc. This is where living in an HOA neighborhood would help a bit by adding one more layer of covenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County