Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,710 times

Advertisements

Hey I am a girl from Alabama. I want to move to california after I graduate college to get a job in either the music industry or magazine industry. How long do you think it would take me to get a job after moving there? I was also wondering how much money you think i would need to save up in order to be comfortable enough to move from Alabama to California. Big move i know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 03:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
probably not too long. You are looking in a vey specialized field though.

About $2 million.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:49 AM

105 posts, read 482,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedaLoo View Post
Hey I am a girl from Alabama. I want to move to california after I graduate college to get a job in either the music industry or magazine industry. How long do you think it would take me to get a job after moving there? I was also wondering how much money you think i would need to save up in order to be comfortable enough to move from Alabama to California. Big move i know.
OMG Didn't you know? NO ONE in CALIFORNIA calls it "Cali". To some of them, "You sound like such a outsider". What a joke! Sorry, I couldn't resist. LOL

Anyway, good luck on your move. Any particular place you're thinking of moving to? If you've figured out where you want to move (for example LA) the only other thing is to find suitable living arrangements and save your money. I can't tell you how much you'll need to make the move. You'll need to do your own research and determine that on your own. How much is it going to cost to move? How much will rent cost? You'll need a deposit too. Do you have a car? If so, what about gas and insurance? Cell phone? Gas and electric? Groceries, etc. You get the picture...

Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM

242 posts, read 827,096 times
Are you planning on buying or reting and what is your budget?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:46 AM

543 posts, read 1,900,056 times
Just a tip, you may do well finding a job in the music industry out here, but I think NYC is where most people go to get into the magazine industry. I am a graphic designer and many designers I know who want to work on magazines go to NY or San Fransico. I would double check your employment opportunities before making the move.

Also, it is much more expensive to live here than AL, be prepared!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
LedaLoo, I lived in Auburn AL for a couple of years in the late 90s. It was a nice place to live and I liked the easy going pace there. If you are crimson tide girl or from one of the other colleges in AL that won't please you much, but here's a my suggestion if you are interested in the music biz. Just a few hours drive north from Birmingham on I 65 is Music City USA - Nashville. Yeah, it's mostly country music but it's still big time music business and it might be a better place to get your foot in the door than out here on the left coast. Trying to pry into the music business (or radio, TV, film) in southern california is brutally competitive, almost cruel. Once you are established in a job in the field you want to work in, then you can build contacts and references that will land you something better in a different place if you choose.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
recycled is correct. Southern CA is filled with thousands upon thousands of wannabe actors, musicians, producers, radio hosts or other entertainment professionals, all of whom are very qualified, attractive, talented, and all of whom work as food servers or shoe salesmen. Even the few who eventually make it spend years in menial jobs before they get anywhere. Better to come with some experience and connections already in hand.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:13 PM

69 posts, read 406,824 times
If you do move to Orange County, I would recommend living where you have good freeway access to Los Angeles where there are probably going to be more opportunities for you. Huntington Beach/Seal Beach may be nice, especially if you are single. Either way, make sure that you have a comfortable car because you will probably do a lot of driving.

LA County may be better for you in terms of location, but you might enjoy the Orange
County lifestyle better. Personally, I love Orange County. Come out with a friend and visit for a while. You'll have a great time, and will probably find that there is much to like here.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:46 AM

619 posts, read 2,167,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
probably not too long. You are looking in a vey specialized field though.

About $2 million.
TRUE!
Let me repeat it again True!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:07 AM

158 posts, read 581,756 times
Ohh Sweetie, be careful. I'm afraid you'll be in for quite a culture shock. The grass is not greener here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County