U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 09:05 PM

5,381 posts, read 7,265,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
So is Lake Forest and Irvine, and possible Aliso Viejo. It's not that far from those cities. This article from Orange County Register suggested, very rarely does it house maximum security risk inmate, only in riots and terrorist situation and it's about a week.

Musick jail expansion plan finally moving forward - The Orange County Register
AV is not right across the street from Musick. Some people don't mind living over there, but some do. To each his own.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:40 PM

20,162 posts, read 9,657,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
AV is not right across the street from Musick. Some people don't mind living over there, but some do. To each his own.
But not that far they if the prisoners are escaping from the Musick they can't get to you. If you were to escape from a prison, you don't want to stay close to the prison.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:47 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,477,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
But not that far they if the prisoners are escaping from the Musick they can't get to you. If you were to escape from a prison, you don't want to stay close to the prison.
agree. Irvine Co would certainly lobby for its removal if it affect its business

I would be more concern of the land fill if I were a homebuyer. you can not just shut out the odor

Old 12-03-2015, 08:45 PM

92 posts, read 107,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Rancho Santa Margarita hits all your requirements. The problem with that city is that it is very far east and potentially up to 1/2 hour away just to get to the 5/405 freeway. If you want to go to South Coast Plaza, Irvine Spectrum, or anywhere else worth visiting in OC, it becomes an ordeal.
I just don't see this. Lived in RSM for 30 years now (before there was RSM). Spectrum 5/405 is less than half hour typically..taking the 241. As long as you pick your times, and don't mind paying tolls, RSM is quite freeway convenient. Easy access to 5/405 NB or 91/71 EB or NB. It is not a city where you have to traverse miles of city signals to get to a toll road or freeway.

We frequently go to baseball games in Anaheim stadium, I make trips to West Covina (less than hour), lunch in Tustin (less than half hour) the mountains and desert. I used to commute to Long Beach in 45 minutes arriving at 630 AM. RSM to Foothill Ranch is easy. RSM to southern Irvine tollway to Barranca has been very quick for me.

Last edited by rsmfan; 12-03-2015 at 09:10 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 11:01 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,198,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmfan View Post
I just don't see this. Lived in RSM for 30 years now (before there was RSM). Spectrum 5/405 is less than half hour typically..taking the 241. As long as you pick your times, and don't mind paying tolls, RSM is quite freeway convenient. Easy access to 5/405 NB or 91/71 EB or NB. It is not a city where you have to traverse miles of city signals to get to a toll road or freeway.

We frequently go to baseball games in Anaheim stadium, I make trips to West Covina (less than hour), lunch in Tustin (less than half hour) the mountains and desert. I used to commute to Long Beach in 45 minutes arriving at 630 AM. RSM to Foothill Ranch is easy. RSM to southern Irvine tollway to Barranca has been very quick for me.
Yes, I've lived in RSM for 18 years now and I agree with the above. People talk about RSM being "way out there," but it is actually very easy to access. In addition to the above, this year I had occasion to go from my house out to LAX the day before Thanksgiving and again the Monday after, in the late morning/early afternoon, and it took less than one hour each time.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:19 PM

109 posts, read 118,106 times
RSM is probably the best city in OC. It's crime rate is astonishingly low (even lower than Irvine!), it has schools that are great but not over pressured like Irvine's, it's up against the mountains for great outdoor activities, has parks, and all the shopping you need. There's simply no argument you can make that it's not the best city in Orange County. Oh, and it's not overpriced like Irvine, it has more affordable apartments and just a more nice vibe to it. Again, the property crime is insanely low in this city, and its violent crime is just barely above Irvine's (it's hardly any difference).

Old 12-16-2015, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 7,812 times
Hi Everyone,

We looked at the homes in Foothill Ranch (FR) and RSM in the past two weeks. After putting an offer on a home in Foothill and they asking for full price, we decided that we did not want to jump into owning after only 5 days in the new city. Plus most of the homes in FR on Zillows showed Foreclosures so scared us away.

We are now renting an apartment with a 12 months lease and our kids are going to Foothill Ranch. My husband's work is only 10 mins away.

Notes :
-We checkout the Redwood layout at Baker Ranch. The price was $891k and you would need to redo the backyard as it comes empty. That would push the price over $900k which was way over our budget. They gave $12-$15k in upgrades which did not mean too much. However the middle school would be Serrano and they do not provide bus transportation.

-Also because of the jail etc, I don't even know if FR would ever get its own Middle or High school.
Goal is to check out RSM too as we would like to get a home by Jul-Aug ‘16. We would like to be within walking distance to Las Flores Elementary/Middle schools. Commute to FR on 241 was only showing 20 mins.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:39 PM

297 posts, read 536,789 times
If you are considering RSM with kids attending Las Flores ES/Middle School also take a look at Ladera Ranch, which is the next city over from RSM. Ladera Schools are also very good and part of the city is zoned for Tesoro HS which was mentioned earlier. All the RSM, Las Flores and Ladera areas have strong communities with lots of kids. Great place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County